Incompatible capitalism and biofuels!

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Christophe

Incompatible capitalism and biofuels!

by Christophe » 30/05/07, 15:08

This is what happens when the capitalists deal with biofuels:

The rise in the price of gasoline in the United States continues to cause concern, alarm calls and other criticism of the Bush administration. It must be said that the context is conducive to such turmoil, gasoline consumption is doomed to increase while the always awaited "driving season" began this week ... As in any critical situation, we must find a goat emissary, and some comments or analysts have recently denounced the perverse effects of the implementation of a policy promoting the production of biofuel ... In other words, the increased use of ethanol would discourage the construction of new refineries in the United States and therefore fuel the rise in prices at the pump ...

The reality is that the price of gasoline is much more correlated with oil prices than any other factor. According to the American Department of Energy, the price of crude today explains 53% of the price of a gallon of gasoline (against 47% in 2004).
Simultaneously, distribution and marketing costs represent only 9% of the price of petrol; and, above all, refining costs and taxation only impact 19% of the price per gallon ...

It is therefore quite quixotic to point the finger at biofuels ... The real causalities are obviously elsewhere.

And with regard to American refining capacity, the real problem is, on the one hand, that the majors prefer to invest abroad and, on the other hand, that the American population, won over by environmentalism, adopts more and more an attitude called BANANA (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything) ...

You can't have your cake and eat it, and as a result, the price of gasoline will continue to trend up ...

Seen on: http://www.econologique.info/index.php/ ... boursorama

ps: if kk1 has understood the BANANA attitude, some explanations would be welcome :) Would it be the American descenders?
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 30/05/07, 16:52

No idea,

yet they have a huge country so I don't understand, it's not like in Europe where everything is busy or like in Asia !!!

the BANANA attitude, what would be wrong with the "not in my garden" attitude ??
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 30/05/07, 17:39

freddau wrote:the BANANA attitude, what would be wrong with the "not in my garden" attitude ??

Freddau is not "not in my garden" but "not in my backyard" (NIMBY syndrome) "backyard" meaning backyard.

On the other hand, I think that you are right with regard to BANANA: it is an extension of NIMBY: total immobility ...
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 30/05/07, 18:18

Indeed everything is there:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_in_my_back_yard

-----------
Gicquel syndrome is about:
:D

Not on my pumps!
0 x
rpsantina
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by rpsantina » 31/05/07, 19:42

gegyx wrote:Indeed everything is there:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_in_my_back_yard

-----------
Gicquel syndrome is about:
:D

Not on my pumps!

I don't care, I have security groles ... : Mrgreen:

Okay, I'm going out ...
0 x
RPS (Dpt Tarn South 81)
i-Only those who do nothing are never wrong
ii-Anything is possible as long as a little time is spent there
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 01/06/07, 09:33

rpsantina wrote:I don't care, I have security groles ... : Mrgreen:

Okay, I'm going out ...

It is above all your security seals that come out ... of France
Jallatte relocation : Evil:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/06/07, 12:02

And one more article:

For an alternative viewpoint on corn-based ethanol, read "David Morris's Give Ethanol a Chance: The Case for Corn-Based Fuel."

Biofuels invoke an image of renewable abundance that allows industry, politicians, the World Bank, the United Nations and even the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change to present fuel from corn, sugarcane, soy and other crops as a replacement for oil that will bring about a smooth transition to a renewable fuel economy.

Myths of abundance divert attention from powerful economic interests that benefit from this biofuels transition, avoiding discussion of the growing price that citizens of the global South are beginning to pay to maintain the consumptive oil-based lifestyle of the North. Biofuel mania obscures the profound consequences of the industrial transformation of our food and fuel systems - the agro-fuels transition.

http://www.alternet.org/environment/54218/
0 x
the alcoolo1
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by the alcoolo1 » 31/10/07, 12:08

In any case, I remain convinced that biofuels are nothing but window dressing. It is still a capitalist lie aiming to sell m .... to the most ignorant while keeping a significant monetary profitability and by hiding the real less profitable solutions from the richest but more profitable to the whole of the population and to the planet.

During this time, the poorest may well starve to death because of the increase in the price of cereals which follows this massive infatuation with the cultivation of biofuels.

Of course I don't say that for free and am a convinced ecologist but you should read the INRA PDF which follows.

http://www.inra.fr/internet/Departement ... ss05-2.pdf
it clearly presents the limits of biofuels (in addition it is written in French).

I remain convinced that as long as there is no willingness on the part of energy companies to use energy sources such as solar or wind coupled with PACs or the like to run our cars and supply us with energy. electricity we will always have environmental problems.

PS: I went astray in a previous post by saying that the energy report for biofuels was negative so I apologize but I was not far from the truth after reading this advert.
0 x
"The object of research is no longer the nature in itself, but the nature given to human interrogation, is to this extent the man meets here only himself." Werner Heisenberg

Back to "biofuels, biofuels, biofuels, BtL, non-fossil alternative fuels ..."