20% economy with turbo with ethanol: new patent MIT

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Giul
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

20% economy with turbo with ethanol: new patent MIT

by Giul » 10/11/06, 07:30

Hello

Extract from BE USA N ° 54 - French Embassy in the United States

Three Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) researchers filed a patent application for a system that would improve the fuel consumption of more than 20% gasoline engines for less than 1000 euros.

Turbochargers capture the energy of the exhaust gases to compress the air supplying the engine, which improves its efficiency. Their use on gasoline engines is limited by the risks of abnormal combustion (detonation) that can damage the engine.

The MIT team came up with the idea of ​​combining the use of a turbocharger with the injection of ethanol into the combustion chamber of the engine when it is in high demand (coast, acceleration, etc.). The injection of ethanol reduces the risk of detonation which allows to obtain high compression rates in engines of smaller size.

The models used by the researchers suggest that an engine so equipped could provide the same peak power, but consuming 20 to 30% less fuel than an engine twice as big. The first practical tests in the laboratory confirmed the effectiveness of the process.

The addition of ethanol would remain low: approximately 1L of ethanol for 20L of gasoline. The cost of the device is lower than that of hybrid motors which makes this technology an economically attractive alternative and should facilitate its penetration on the market.

Regarding the use of ethanol as fuel (E85), the company BP announced that it would postpone the development of this fuel in its American points of sale following the announcement of Underwriters Laboratory (UL), a certification body, the suspension of authorization of their label on the components of pumps for E85.

Indeed, this label is only valid for mixtures including less than 15% ethanol. At higher concentrations, the mixture can become corrosive and requires the development of new standards, which could take between six months and two years to complete.

Injection of turbocharged ethanol in the room: 20% savings for ... 1000 euro

@+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/11/06, 09:49

This is news from ADIT:
https://www.econologie.com/une-faible-qu ... -3235.html

It's good but not really innovative: the injection of water-methanol was widely used during the 2nd war
https://www.econologie.com/par-daimler-b ... es-84.html
Last edited by Christophe the 03 / 04 / 15, 13: 49, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/11/06, 09:52

By cons it is not good:

Regarding the use of ethanol as fuel (E85), the company BP announced that it would postpone the development of this fuel in its American points of sale following the announcement of Underwriters Laboratory (UL), a certification body, the suspension of authorization of their label on the components of pumps for E85.

Indeed, this label is only valid for mixtures including less than 15% ethanol. At higher concentrations, the mixture can become corrosive and requires the development of new standards, which could take between six months and two years to complete.

Bleuf or Brazilian / European motors are more resistant to corrosion ...: Mrgreen:
0 x
bob_isat
Pantone engine Researcher

by bob_isat » 10/11/06, 09:54

d
ire that the 206 has already existed in flex fuel for years in Brazil ...

c really mouth fuck !!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/11/06, 10:13

http://forums.futura-sciences.com/showt ... 9#poststop

I quote :

1) it would have been honest to say that this technology is widely already known ... and forgotten in favor of pollution and consumption ...

Mercedes injected a 50/50 methanol-water mixture into the Nazi Messerschmitts ...

I quote: "more power when accelerating, better overfeeding and the injection of an anti-detonating water-methanol mixture or peroxides."

https://www.econologie.com/par-daimler-b ... es-84.html

Oh it's ethanol and not methanol ... but it was better because there was water at the time ...

Some water ? Bigre how is this possible? And our principles? It's not possible ... (I imitate some of your inquisitors moderators ...)

(...)

3) Otherwise technologically, downsizing will be a mandatory step to use the injection of ethanol-water because this process only works at high load ... What good is consuming 20% ​​less on a car engine that draws 150hp ( 30L of consumption per hour) ...

Bob no it's corporatism of interest ... nuance ...
Last edited by Christophe the 03 / 04 / 15, 13: 51, 2 edited once.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 10/11/06, 15:28

I don't know if the goal was the same ...

On the other hand, it seems that the Americans are discovering down-sizing ...: "The models used by the researchers suggest that an engine so equipped could provide the same peak power, but consuming 20 to 30% less fuel than an engine twice as big."
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/11/06, 16:14

Ben vi Bucheron ... see my remark on Facho-Sciences: 3) Otherwise technologically, downsizing will be a mandatory step to use the injection of ethanol-water because this process only works at high load ... What good is consuming 20% ​​less on a car engine that draws 150hp ( 30L of consumption per hour) ...

Otherwise the goal is very similar (or very close), namely to raise the fuel octane:

MIT: The injection of ethanol reduces the risk of detonation, which makes it possible to obtain high compression ratios in smaller engines.

2nd GM: more power during acceleration, better over-supply and the injection of a water-methanol anti-detonating mixture or peroxides.
Last edited by Christophe the 10 / 11 / 06, 16: 20, 1 edited once.
0 x
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 10/11/06, 16:18

Christophe wrote:Ben vi Bucheron ... see my remark on Facho-Sciences : 3) Otherwise technologically, downsizing will be a mandatory step to use the injection of ethanol-water because this process only works at high load ... What good is consuming 20% ​​less on a car engine that draws 150hp ( 30L of consumption per hour) ...

Will copy it here hold :D

Definitely this new keyboard makes you make typos well (bad) come !! : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/11/06, 16:23

Uh ... I see no girl there ... : Mrgreen:

Soon "officials" will talk about the benefits of injection into heat engines and FS scientific officials will be the first to relay the information, forgetting that we were there ...

Do we take bets?
0 x
Other

by Other » 10/11/06, 16:38

Hello
He speaks of ethanol injection (not water ethanol mixture)
it also speaks at full power or at least engine solicited, obviously that it must have an economy at full power with ethanol injection or without injection it reverses the self-ignition and can work with higher compressions.
In reality they inject octane and cool the intake at the same time.
But for the ordinary user, he who respects the legal speed who walks in the city, or is his economy? , unless he uses a small 600c engine with turbo operated in the carpet!
The Americans are not strong to build small engines, in their small car most of the time it is Japanese or European engines, Dodge, Ford, or Gm, Maybe with the Chrysler Daimler fusion we will see ( small) diesels, but I doubt it is not yet the best selling products here. It will take another decade to change habits.

Andre
0 x