Swamp gas

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Lounet
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Swamp gas

by Lounet » 21/12/05, 08:29

Hello
I would like to share with you a curious experience that I had a long time ago when I was young.
Imagine a cement tank, 1 meter in diameter, buried at ground level. It is full of water that has languished there forever, and in which stagnates all kinds of organic debris, in particular pears fallen directly from a nearby pear tree. And also a little sand from Fontainebleau.
One day, having noticed that bubbles were emerging, I stirred the bottom of the vase after immersing a washing machine turned upside down as a gasometer.
Well I collected a good twenty liters of a gas, which I easily ignited.
I am convinced that the infamous mixture accidentally contained the ingredients and perhaps also catalysts conducive to the formation of methane.
Notice to amateur researchers.
0 x
Misterloxo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Misterloxo » 26/12/05, 12:24

It is certain that the gas mixture contained methane.

It is very common precisely in marshes or plant debris that languish at the bottom of the water decompose into methane which is found "trapped" in vases and sludge.

As soon as you stir the bottom the gas is released ... Watch out for cigarettes ...
0 x
Learning disobedience is a long process. It takes a lifetime to reach perfection. "Maurice Rajsfus
To think is to say no. "Alain, philosopher
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/12/05, 17:09

In the same genre but more glaucous, the legend of the fires of the cemeteries would come from the emission of methane from the bodies in decomposition and spontaneously inflamed.

Another legend can be clarified by methane: the Bermuda triangle whose numerous improbabilities could be explained by intense, localized and punctual releases of methane hydrates.

In the case of a boat, the bubbles make the buoyancy lose and in the case of airplanes it is the significant proportion of methane in the air which prevents good combustion to the engines, see the air which becomes combustible according to the proportion of methane and which ignites on contact with the hot parts of the engine (pot in particular) .... To be continued ...
0 x
jkg
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jkg » 26/12/05, 19:04

Hello,
In the same genre: how to extract the methane from the viaur by 2 old daughters:
1.Go to the viaur (the river) with a pencil and a matchbox.
2. Stir the bottom with the rod
3. Ignite the methane with the matches.

My dream is to bring an old engine with a garden hose in place of the air filter to stir and see if it goes wrong

@+
0 x
The earth is not ours we borrow it to our children
Rpkx
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Rpkx » 26/12/05, 19:07

Hello,

You will find a very interesting file on methane hydrates (clathrates) on the following site
Methane hydrates: a huge energy reserve, but a potential ecological bomb
http://www.ggl.ulaval.ca/personnel/bour ... ethane.htm
Note: None of the links cited at the bottom of this page work!

About disasters in the Bermuda Triangle:
http://www.dinosoria.com/triangle_bermudes.htm

@+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/12/05, 19:54

For hydrates not worth going so far, there is a small article on econo about them: https://www.econologie.com/les-hydrates- ... -1642.html
Last edited by Christophe the 03 / 04 / 15, 12: 58, 2 edited once.
0 x
Lounet
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Lounet » 28/12/05, 16:32

econology wrote: the legend of the fires of the cemeteries is believed to originate from the emission of methane from decomposing and spontaneously inflamed bodies.

Small precision: Methane does not ignite spontaneously. The cause of wisps is hydrogen phosphide PH3, a gas released from decaying bones and which is unstable.

econology wrote:the Bermuda triangle, the many improbabilities of which could be explained by intense, localized and punctual releases of methane hydrates.
... in the case of airplanes it is the significant proportion of methane in the air which prevents good combustion in the engines, see the air which becomes combustible according to the proportion of methane and which ignites on contact with the hot parts engine (including pot

There, I am more skeptical ...
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 23/01/07, 23:49

Another info on methane ==> that's for biomethane !!!

read the article
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
biomethane
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: Marsh gas

by biomethane » 24/01/07, 10:48

Lounet wrote:Hello
I would like to share with you a curious experience that I had a long time ago when I was young.
Imagine a cement tank, 1 meter in diameter, buried at ground level. It is full of water that has languished there forever, and in which stagnates all kinds of organic debris, in particular pears fallen directly from a nearby pear tree. And also a little sand from Fontainebleau.
One day, having noticed that bubbles were emerging, I stirred the bottom of the vase after immersing a washing machine turned upside down as a gasometer.
Well I collected a good twenty liters of a gas, which I easily ignited.
I am convinced that the infamous mixture accidentally contained the ingredients and perhaps also catalysts conducive to the formation of methane.
Notice to amateur researchers.

You can also make your own husbands at home :-)

http://biomethane.free.fr

A septic tank is also a methanizer which releases methane into the atmosphere.
It would be simple to modify it to speed up its efficiency and recover the gas.
0 x
antoinet111
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by antoinet111 » 24/01/07, 14:04

biomethane, I'm very interested in the creation of a flexible digester, but how do you go about transphorming a septic tank? gas recovery, heating, ejection of excess water, mixing?

Hello.
0 x
I vote for the writing of concrete post and practicality.
Down the talkers and ceiling fans!