A building produces microalgae energy in Hamburg!

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Christophe

A building produces microalgae energy in Hamburg!

by Christophe » 04/10/13, 16:49

A fine example of intelligent architecture!
Trying to find out more because it is a little light video ...

Hamburg, Germany. Consisting of micro-algae integrated into the walls, bio-adaptive facades allow a building to access a certain energy autonomy.

How? Through photosynthesis and recycling of solar energy. Algae are fed continuously with liquid nutrients and carbon dioxide via an independent water circuit that flows through the facade. It is an integrated bio-reactor that supplies heat to the fifteen apartments in the building.

"The heat is produced on this façade by bioreactors and is then sent to a power station. The heat is stored and then redistributed and used in a heating circuit to heat the building and its drinking water, "explains Martin Kerner, project manager.

This seaweed building therefore produces its own heating. Laura is one of the tenants. Its balcony looks like an aquarium filled with algae that reproduce regularly. This building is a so-called "passive" building, that is to say a construction guaranteeing a comfortable indoor climate without heating system, which also saves money.

"I believe that this energy saving represents about a gain of 1000 euro per year because we pay almost nothing now because it is a passive building and very well isolated," Laura said.

To prepare for winter, the building even keeps the heat produced during the summer underground. This heat can therefore be reused a few months later. This innovative concept is an alternative to the construction of ecological habitat of the future.

"This is a vision for the future and it is an answer to the questions we had already asked ourselves 30 years ago," explains Dietmar Walbert, architect.

This building was specially designed for the International Building Exhibition, which runs until 3 next November in Hamburg.

Video: http://fr.euronews.com/2013/10/03/dans- ... es-algues/

See as well: https://www.econologie.com/forums/microalgue ... 10514.html
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 05/10/13, 01:38

They do not explain the principle of the process ...

This seems different from what the French company does ENNESYS.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/10/13, 10:29

There is almost no technical info in the video regarding conversion ...

I assume it is a conventional oilseed oil extraction that will replace some of the oil ... for more details see: https://www.econologie.com/forums/microalgue ... 10514.html

In any case it is ugly like building : Cheesy:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/10/13, 16:05

It happened on France 2, on the evening JT, but I was sleepy. Remember more.

If I understood correctly [given the state I am describing, it is not certain!] It is not valued as "petroleum product".

I remember images of a gas plant in the basement, with styacokage pad under the building ...

Difficult to draw something in thermal balances.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/10/13, 16:25

Here is the answer:

Microalgae - a Smart Energy Solution

The algae flourish and multiply in a regular cycle until they can be harvested. They are then separated from the rest of the algae and transferred to the BIQ technical room. The little plants are then fermented in an external biogas plant, so that they can be used again to generate biogas. Algae are particularly well suited for this, as they produce as much biomass per hectare as possible.

In: http://www.iba-hamburg.de/en/themes-pro ... t/biq.html

For those who do not read English well: ... the microalgae are collected, fermented in an external methanizer ...

These tubes also serve as heat collectors in summer, with a buffer storage under the building.

The facade collects energy by absorbing the light which is not used by the algae and generating heat, like a solar thermal unit, which is then used directly for hot water and heating, borehole heat exchangers - 80 meter-deep holes filled with brine. This remarkably sustainable energy concept is therefore capable of creating a cycle of solar thermal energy, geothermal energy, condensing boiler, local heat, and the capture of biomass using the bio-reactor facade.

Finally, remember, is "passive"! It is therefore a matter of integrating:

a) extreme insulation

b) solar energy collected by these "tubes" is stored in the basement

C) the cultivation of algae as biomass transformed into biogas

D) burnt biogas in a condensing boiler

[Cost: 3,4 million euros; for a living area of ​​1 m²; that seems reasonable to me; This shows that dense housing, even if you don't like living in a building, is ALSO an economical solution due to its density and pooling - facades in common, which lose nothing; amortization of complex solutions which reduced to unity would be unpayable; an individual "biomass" heating solution costs 350 euros at a minimum; at 15, that's almost 000 euros to build a "gas factory"!]
0 x

Back to "biofuels, biofuels, biofuels, BtL, non-fossil alternative fuels ..."