Make electricity with wood!

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
theoargent
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Make electricity with wood!

by theoargent » 18/03/10, 04:48

here is my question summarized in the subject ...
I live in Argentina and I would like to produce electricity (5kw for example) with fuel, wood!
if I tried to heat myself there would be no problem but to make the watt ... ??
so if someone knows or knows the product, the existing machine to answer my question, thank you in advance ...
Bye now
0 x
Bricktal
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: make electricity with wood!

by Bricktal » 18/03/10, 05:27

theoargent wrote:here is my question summarized in the subject ...
I live in Argentina and I would like to produce electricity (5kw for example) with fuel, wood!
so if someone knows or knows the product, the existing machine to answer my question, thank you in advance ...
Bye now

Interesting question.

However, I find it too general. You are not specific enough to know for example: where you stay precisely, in nature, countryside or in the city. Why do you want wood to generate electricity?
You are talking about fuel, so you are thinking of burning it ... in this case, a simple boiler system which produces steam which activates a micro turbine which produces your electricity.
If you have enough wood to produce steam in good quantity and much better.
And what is the electricity going to be used for? For a house or an industry?
Such types of plans are available on the web, if you search well.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/03/10, 08:21

I doubt there are pellets where you are?

But to inspire reflection, here is the "sunmachine", a fully automatic Stirling engine machine running on wood pellets (standard fuel):

http://www.sunmachine.fr/prod_pellets.htm
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 18/03/10, 08:37

Did67 wrote:I doubt there are pellets where you are?

But to inspire reflection, here is the "sunmachine", a fully automatic Stirling engine machine running on wood pellets (standard fuel):

http://www.sunmachine.fr/prod_pellets.htm

The mechanical work efficiency of a stirling engine is very poor, only becomes valid if it is also used for heating ...
Otherwise there is the steam engine, either piston or turbine ... but it will have to be manufactured because there is no small model, except reduced models : Cheesy:
0 x
theoargent
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by theoargent » 18/03/10, 13:36

hello and thank you for your answers (very fast more) ...
indeed I didn’t have too precise because I thought that 5kw could indicate that it was for a house ... not for heating (in this case I use wood directly) but rather to cool.
for the place it will be in the countryside with really a lot of wood (dead) on a very large surface ... so the product I will have in quantity ...
concerning the turbine boiler which produces steam etc yes I had already seen, but it is the kind of product which is expensive and more suitable for a building or a company ...
unfortunately as did67 wrote ... for what is small model (in this research) there is nothing available for a reduced electricity production ..
I still have solar power of course .. but with these batteries which will also pollute ...
thank you in any way for your answers ...
ps: if the pellets exist ... but in buenos aires..a 1200km
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 18/03/10, 14:23

oiseautempete wrote:The mechanical work efficiency of a stirling engine is very poor, only becomes valid if it is also used for heating ...
Otherwise there is the steam engine, either piston or turbine ... but it will have to be manufactured because there is no small model, except reduced models : Cheesy:
There are stirling / ericson which reach 50% of output ... I do not know many machines which arrive there. :?
Steam is relatively simple to use.
Steam or stirling make it possible to envisage solar cogeneration ... : Idea:

Another possibility concerns the gasifier ... : Idea:

Why do you want to use wood as an energy source rather than the sun, various biomass (anaerobic digestion), photovoltaics, solar thermal, hydrocarbons ...
:?: :?:
0 x
theoargent
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by theoargent » 18/03/10, 14:49

for the choice, it is to avoid batteries (for solar) and as the sun is not present at night this poses a problem or my interest for wood (with sufficient reserve for the night) which is available in quantity ...
biomass with wood, I was told that it was very long (decomposition).
I had thought at one time about the gasifier (certain camoin during the 2nd world war functioning thus) but did not find (moreover the output is not brilliant if I remember correctly) of detailed info on the way of setting up this type of system.
finally to answer your questions about the idea of ​​stirling in cogeneration, to obtain 5kw is not it "too much"?
I thought that this mode of production was rather for a large amount of kw ..? more the price seems to me (for the moment at least) rather rebarbatif ...
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Make electricity with wood!

by bernardd » 18/03/10, 14:52

theoargent wrote:I live in Argentina and I would like to produce electricity (5kw for example) with fuel, wood!

I was asking myself the same question as you, and I found nothing below 1MW / 1M €: not suitable for a house :-)

But I'm working on it: I'll keep you posted as soon as we have something to show ...
0 x
See you soon !
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: make electricity with wood!

by bernardd » 18/03/10, 14:53

Bricktal wrote:Such types of plans are available on the web, if you search well.

Send the links when you want :-) Personally never found a coherent set ...
0 x
See you soon !
Ptilu
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Ptilu » 18/03/10, 15:05

Gasifier !!!!!

Inexpensive and practical, a few steel cylinders (pressure cooker or empty gas cylinder for basic materials)
An old radiator as a cooler, and some metal boxes full of cotton to filter
Then you mix with the air and then put it in place of the intake pipe of your gasoline generator (you will have to turn the carburetor)

Otherwise the critical piece is the generator. It must be able to be maintained easily, resist temperature and corrosion, which implies being able to weld and cut steel ... Do you have an acetylene welding machine?

For research, type "gasifier", "gasifier" or if you speak English "wood gazeifier".

The best for you now is to familiarize yourself with the process (it's weird that everyone says steam engine before the gas, which costs 10 times cheaper and is much less complex and dangerous ...)

I have documentation if not, and I am currently on a project (within the school framework) to dimension an installation of this type. I already have some spreadsheets (determination of flow rates). If you feel like it I can give it to you;)

Otherwise, I'm sure there are thermos cycles that cool without going through the electricity box; I had a partial last semester on a tubo-refrigeration unit. We coupled a Joule cycle (turbomachine) with a Hirn cycle (steam engine), with a common circuit. Joule's cycle was motor and Hirn's was reverse to cool.

But it is very technological as often with turbines ...
Best would be a non-rotating machine that only uses thermal energy to cool (much like the vortex effect)
0 x