Methanization at home

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Methanization at home

by bernardd » 27/12/09, 10:09

Hello,

By these times of gifts, a material that I have just found:

Downdraft Straw Gasifier

Special for Chatelot16 :-)

China is moving forward, they must find effective ideas!
0 x
See you soon !
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 27/12/09, 16:09

in china or india, where it is hotter than with us the big methanizer in concrete buried its current in the farms for a long time

in France it was also done but it is forgotten

you obviously need a big outside tank: a little 200l trick in the house will have a paltry production

with us a buried tank is not enough, it must be heated so isolated

it's a pretty big expense, but it avoids other sanitation expenses

I tried to make a test at reduced cost: above ground freestanding swimming pool in pvc of 6m3 covered by a polyethylene tarpaulin

I put all the garden mowing and manure immersed in water there: it only produced CO2

problem the pvc and the polyethylene are waterproof: the gas is not lost but the oxygen can diffuse in the water through the pvc, and as long as there is the least presence of oxygen the bacteria do not make methane but only CO2

the problem is: the baclated tests don't work: we have to do better and it's more expensive
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 27/12/09, 16:24

you coat me with error with your methanization

your chinese bazaar is a gasifier

I don't want gasifier in my kitchen: it makes CO too toxic, at the slightest leak everyone is dead

the gasifier must be outside: then the gas network in the house must be secure enough to avoid accidents

I don't see any technical information on your site

on the photo I don't see anything serious, no tap, manometer, pump ... I don't understand how the gas can circulate

in the simple gasifier, it is the aspiration of the engine that makes everything work, for starting it was necessary to open the top and to burn inside like a stove: there too it is imperative that it be outside
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 27/12/09, 16:47

Possible, I do not know this field, as you said the know-how is lost.

But I would have learned this already :-)

It is a site where companies make short classified ads, often with an English whose level balances with mine :-)

To find out more, please contact ...

You would have to change the title of the post then, but I don't know how to do it.
0 x
See you soon !
pat
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by pat » 27/12/09, 17:40

chatelot16 wrote:in china or india, where it is hotter than with us the big methanizer in concrete buried its current in the farms for a long time

in France it was also done but it is forgotten

you obviously need a big outside tank: a little 200l trick in the house will have a paltry production

with us a buried tank is not enough, it must be heated so isolated

it's a pretty big expense, but it avoids other sanitation expenses

I tried to make a test at reduced cost: above ground freestanding swimming pool in pvc of 6m3 covered by a polyethylene tarpaulin

I put all the garden mowing and manure immersed in water there: it only produced CO2

problem the pvc and the polyethylene are waterproof: the gas is not lost but the oxygen can diffuse in the water through the pvc, and as long as there is the least presence of oxygen the bacteria do not make methane but only CO2

the problem is: the baclated tests don't work: we have to do better and it's more expensive

Hello,

In my opinion, you could have obtained biogas, the permeability of PVC to oxygen is not enough to modify the anaerobic fermentation which must reign under the surface of your mixture.

The real problem would be the pH of your mixture: the sugars in the fresh herb have fermented in the water to give a good amount of acid, which sterilized your mixture, pH <4 surely,

(this is what happens in liquid effluent methanizers, when we want to ferment pure whey: the sugars make too much acid, the pH is too low and all fermentation stops)

Indeed, the pH for a good development of methanogenic bacteria should not be too low, I believe that 6 or 5,5 are the minimums according to my memories, and the neutrality at pH 7 suits them, see 8.

You should use dried grass, or mix your fresh grass with as much drier material, and moisten but not drown the whole thing in a bath.
Like making a good compost ...
0 x
Pat
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 27/12/09, 19:26

thank you pat

the problem of mowing the lawn is that it does not dry: its ferment and it rots very quickly: putting everything in the water seemed to me the easiest

I did not monitor the ph: if the problem is there, next time I will add what is necessary to correct it

but the problem was not only there: it was still cold and without heating the methanization was too slow

I did not have time to make a good brewing system: without brewing impossible to correct the ph

the main result of this experience was to see in real quantity of waste I could easily recover: no problem: it was immediately full: I could make a lot bigger it will be easy to feed
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 27/12/09, 19:32

I have the impression that you have no idea how much volume and quality of waste it takes to get enough gas to make it really usable: for a farmer / rancher OK, but for a "standard" individual " certainly not!
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 27/12/09, 19:36

chatelot16 wrote:the problem of mowing the lawn is that it does not dry: its ferment and it rots very quickly

You're right, I wonder if we should not chop immediately under dry air and solar heating, in order to stabilize. during chopping, humidity must come out more easily ...

You can then do with it what you want, you know what I imagine doing with it ;-)
0 x
See you soon !
pat
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by pat » 27/12/09, 19:54

oiseautempete wrote:I have the impression that you have no idea how much volume and quality of waste it takes to get enough gas to make it really usable: for a farmer / rancher OK, but for a "standard" individual " certainly not!

In good conditions, 100 cubic meters of biogas per ton of lawn.
0 x
Pat
pat
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by pat » 27/12/09, 19:56

bernardd wrote:
chatelot16 wrote:the problem of mowing the lawn is that it does not dry: its ferment and it rots very quickly

You're right, I wonder if we should not chop immediately under dry air and solar heating, in order to stabilize. during chopping, humidity must come out more easily ...

You can then do with it what you want, you know what I imagine doing with it ;-)

In good weather, we can mow and leave it there, then iron the next day to pick it up, that's what we do when we have tall grass at home.
0 x
Pat