Questions about the AIR X 400 wind turbine

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Questions about the AIR X 400 wind turbine

by darwenn » 07/11/09, 09:38

Hello, would someone own this wind turbine (AIR X 400) and answer my questions?

Does this wind turbine really produce it in light winds? that is, a wind of 10km? or does it just start spinning but without any power? basically you end up with winds of 10 or 15km with a wind turbine that twirls a little and fun to watch 5 minutes, but who does not produce? so with no interest since the winds 15km is what we have every day in the north with some exceptions with winds of 20 or 30 or more rarely 50 to 80, so we can take advantage of this wind turbine every day or rarely when you are not exposed to constant winds? that is, we are not located in the middle of the field.

Then, let's talk about the cogging, that is to say the empty torque demanded by the alternator for the propeller to start to take off. I was able to check Leroy merlin and the cogging is zero, it is an excellent thing for the momentum and rotation in low wind, the hand rotation is free and very easy, no particular resistance.

Last question, noise. On videos we hear a fairly high noise by fast rotations, is it really so important around you? is it embarrassing for the neighborhood?

Thank you to all those who can enlighten me on this wind turbine which looks very good and very sold: info here:
http://www.h2osmose.com/airx/corps.htm
0 x
primrose
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

wind turbine x 400

by primrose » 07/11/09, 22:59

Good evening Darwenn
I find it quite strange that this machine can do 400w, so 33,3 amp 12 volts, namely that it must turn 5 600 rpm, beginning of production threshold, when to the propeller, see blades also sharp , I do not understand well, because for the 400 w it requires a lot of power, on the flyers the start of load is given to 11 km / h, it is a machine that is sold a lot, but I will not buy it Before I have tested it. If I had to choose I will buy the one that is sold on eBay, much cheaper, 550 euros with 5 propeller blades of diam.1,80 m whose gen.weight 7 kg. Alain
0 x
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 07/11/09, 23:54

Good evening

the wind turbine quoted in this doc would deliver a power of 400 W with a wind of 12.5m / s is 45 km / h. with a lower speed, the power may be just ridiculous.

on the other hand, at 12.5 m / s, the speed of rotation must be consistent and will generate a significant noise that must be taken into account in the implementation.

perhaps it would be time to consider a wind turbine of a type equivalent to that of Mr. sarazin, to benefit from low wind speed production.

jeff

ps: the link on the technical doc of the mentioned wind turbine is bad, at least for me
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 08/11/09, 08:38

It seems to be the most sold to people who have motorhomes. On youtube with the keyword air X wind turbine there are good videos of the wind turbine in action, it seems noisy I think. But the noise is not what generates me.

To buy such a wind turbine I will never trust an ad, because on a pub all that is sold is always the most beautiful in the world, that's why I would like to collect the opinion of people who have a, happy or not or resold in 6 months.

The shape of the blades and their small size in any case to see it turn it does not seem a problem, but each time it's the same, the videos are taken in windy then inevitably .... we believe that it works easily .

After several unsuccessful attempts in self-construction even with a good generator of 1kw (but with a cogging too important for my use) I gave up the autoconstruction, and then not enough security. Air X has an integrated mppt regulator, but I do not want to end up with a wind turbine that only runs 2 days a year. I inquire to see, because what is on it is that my solar panel system 100W it works without problems and almost every day, but I like the idea of ​​the wind turbine but more in self-construction.
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 08/11/09, 11:52

Hello,

I maintain an isolated site on which there are two Air-x wind turbines!
So here's what I think:
They are of different generations and the oldest one is a regulation by deformation of the blades with a noise to awaken the quarter at the time of the passage in regulation.
The most recent is much less noisy, but if you take a nap under the mast it's still not great!
Apart from that, they are good machines that are quite robust and easy to maintain.

What you need to know with wind turbines is that to have power you have to have wind.
And since the power of the wind is proportional to the cube of its speed, it varies enormously.
Example: 600 w for 10m / s is 36 km / h
. => 75 w for 5m / s 18 km / h
. => 22 w for 3.3 m / s 12 km / h
Add to that the performance is optimized for winds from 10 to 12ms and you will have a good overview of the possibilities of wind turbines.

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 08/11/09, 12:32

So yours are on an isolated site and clear, which is not my case so it is not clear to me to estimate its performance. If I am based on a wind of 30km (10ms) I risk either having an insufficient rotational speed to produce (or only during gusts) or. Which means that with a wind of 15 / 20kmh (the most common) I will have a zero yield even if it runs continuously. But it's still a guess, the ideal is to test before buying but that's impossible. I will consider anyway a purchase of opportunity, watching for a good opportunity, we find air X 500 euros (not the air x 403 are the old with deformation of the blades and super hot as you point out) looking good second hand, it will save me if I made this purchase, having to resell at a loss if it did not work, the noise it makes do not insure me too much for the neighborhood.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 08/11/09, 13:59

Forgive me in the subject, but I also look at the wind turbines and I plan a purchase soon.
I found a supplier on the 95 who offers the "Air Breeze" which is 300W, visibly optimized for rather light winds (20Km / h)

Does anyone know this model? what to think? (it is to electrify an isolated site without neighborhood)
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 08/11/09, 15:26

Hello,

For the Air Breeze same topo because it is only a small Air-X:
Given for 300 W has 12.5 ms is 45 kmh it is not great!
With identical yield this gives:
-a 22.5 kmh => 37.5 W
-a 10 km / h => 3.3 W
But since the yield is lower,

For an Air-x it's the same:
400 W at 12.5 ms => 45 km / h
-a 22.5 kmh => 50 W
-a 10 km / h => 4.4 W

Up to you !!

Obelix
0 x
In medio stat virtus !!
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 08/11/09, 15:55

Yeah, it does not look terrible. In my case there is not to chew the solar is much more productive and all the time, finally almost winters is less top and when the weather is rainy ben it's dead, but here to give you an idea j have made my system since the October 22 and we are the November 8, I lit 26 hours with my UPS and my two batteries. I think it's not bad. I bet on the wind to complete what my panel does not give when it's bad, but I'm less and less sure that it is ideal, in my case anyway, in the center of a small town north, not being clear enough (but facing south). Because in fact the trouble is that ^ the wind is not constant where I am located, I capture only the strongest gusts, so it's dead for the wind turbine I think.

Obelix, to give me an idea, how many days in 1 months do your wind turbines produce well?
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 09/11/09, 01:19

On the site where I found it, for the Air Breeze they talk about 200W 12.5m / s so it's even less.
On the other hand for a wind of 6m / s they say that we can count on a production of 1.5Kwh by 24h, so it would make about 62W for this wind speed, so double what your calculations indicate. Is there a scam on the numbers where they have a miracle solution?

By cons I am still tempted by the wind turbine. Because where I need the most energy is in winter, that is during the season when there is the least sun and the most wind.

Even at 10Km / h can expect the worst on a production of 100Wh per day, it ensures at least the lighting knowing that precisely in winter the wind is still on average much stronger than 10Km / h. On the other hand in solar we sometimes go for a week without seeing the sun (and that when it shines we can not expect more than 6 production hours per day)
In summer it's the opposite, often days and days without a breath of wind but it's not a season when I need energy.

For 900 € it is either 200W wind turbine or 180Wc PV, as saying that price level is similar. But suddenly, in winter which will really produce the most? Knowing that at home in the Vosges, the winds is not at all constant either, they blow almost as gusts more or less strong. But the regulator of the Air Breeze must accommodate no, and ultimately ensure a consequent production? kind I know that in these conditions we can not rely on 200W, but we can still hope 50W average no? so on 24h it's a good 1.2 kWh, it's more than I need.
0 x