Idea of ​​renewable energy from the rain

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
steven145
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Idea of ​​renewable energy from the rain

by steven145 » 07/11/09, 00:05

Hello,

Feeling concerned by all energy / pollution problems, I wanted to share with you an idea that I thought of.

Dams use the kinetic energy of water. They are interesting because it is a "clean" and inexhaustible energy.

Only here, the dams flood huge areas and we can not do much.

I had thought of a hollow column system (for example 50 or 100 meters high) along cliffs. Pipe systems on top of these cliffs would lead rainwater to these "giant hollow tubes" to fill them. We would have an opening at the base that would let the water out at very high pressure in order to turn a turbine that would produce electricity. We could put several tubes next to each other.
Thus, we could take advantage of rainy weather to create energy. I think it should be exploited wherever possible (sun, wind, tide, ...).
The relief is a possibility to create strong pressures. At least we are not flooding km². It's always that taken and then it's free and infinite (well you have to make the "giant tubes".

Thank you for reading.
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 07/11/09, 08:33

50 to 100m in height only create 5 to 10 bars of pressure, so they are not very high pressures but they can be enough to turn turbines; that said, natural sites allowing the collection of rainwater (generally river) + cliffs are quite rare (it amounts to collecting existing waterfalls), unless you create collecting channels on the cliff tops >> financially not very profitable since it will only work when it rains and the infrastructure to be set up is enormous.
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 07/11/09, 23:15

In fact in dams we use the potential energy of water.
For the kinetic energy of rain ...
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
sensei64
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by sensei64 » 06/01/10, 21:43

I had thought of a hollow column system (for example 50 or 100 meters high) along cliffs. Pipe systems on top of these cliffs would lead rainwater to these "giant hollow tubes" to fill them. We would have an opening at the base that would let the water out at very high pressure

we don't do that already with penstocks of 1 or 2m in diameter with a kaplan pelton or francis turbine below, in the mountains
after it is true that there would be "sites" without playing the Chinese and pharaonic projects, but the investment to date is it worth the cost?

in a short decade with an oil that will be worth 3 4 5 or X the current price, lots of projects will be viable without very heavy work and
we will do indoor sports (biking, rower ... to warm up

:) ou :(
0 x