Auxiliary energy by green algae in Brittany?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Auxiliary energy by green algae in Brittany?

by abyssin3 » 21/08/09, 16:29

I just saw this reportabout green algae in Brittany.

It suddenly makes me think that there would be only to collect them, wash, compress, dry to make an additional fuel.
A bit like advertising paper briquettes. Except that there are tons available, easily.
Of course, that does not solve the problem of excess nitrates, as paper briquettes do not solve the problem of excess ads in mailboxes. But at least it would save a few horses ... by avoiding using another energy.

What do you think?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/08/09, 16:31

Direct fuel I do not know (PCI? Density? Then it stinks no?) But source of biomass for biofuel or biogas it seems interesting to me ... see quite simply (it is already the case) fertilizers in direct spreading. ..
0 x
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 21/08/09, 20:34

for biogas, it is rather hydrogen sulfide (toxic) so bof. I was thinking rather of using it as fuel.
And once compressed, the density should be reasonable.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 22/08/09, 01:00

all biomass contains energy: the problem is that when it contains too much water it is worth nothing as fuel: to dry it it will require more energy than it can produce

the worst part is that if it wants to ferment no matter how it will be destroyed before making a fuel

the solution may be in anaerobic digestion: rather than trying to dry the wet biomass, let it ferment and make methane

it does not only make H2S but especially CO2: if it were in tanks without oxygen it would mainly make methane with a little H2S too, but this is not a problem: the lake gas also contained H2S : it was a wealth: we made tons of sulfur
0 x
bobono
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Green algae in Brittany

by bobono » 22/08/09, 08:16

The green algae picked up as they arrive on the beach is not a problem. Once put in bulk blocks by the municipal services the fermentation without air occurs with production of sulfur gas and other.

A company (OLMIX of Pledran 22) has a project to methanize green algae but with the financial crisis difficult to find finances.

Methanization of biomass, whatever its origin, is underway and developing.

And if the pig producers and the cities methanize 100% of organic matter the problem of nitrates and green algae solved. But once again treat the cause and not the blame
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 22/08/09, 11:17

of course avoid polishing and leaving the sea clean would be best

but since the damage is done, it is necessary to spend to clean up, rather than spending to pile up anywhere and polish a little more, these green algae could participate in the feeding of a methanizer also used for something else
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/08/09, 11:34

chatelot16 wrote:all biomass contains energy: the problem is that when it contains too much water it is worth nothing as fuel: to dry it it will require more energy than it can produce

What about solar drying? I think it is still the drying most used by humanity in 2009! : Cheesy:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 22/08/09, 11:59

drying consumes energy: if this energy is solar it looks better, but it is not free and easy so far: especially for something that has more desire to rot than to dry: if drying is not fast enough it won't do any good

the advantage of anaerobic digestion is that you can immediately swing everything in a large tank and you just have to wait for the gas

in addition if it makes H2S is that it contains sulfur, which will pollute by burning

with methanization it is possible to purify the gas to remove the sulfur and not burn it: the sulfur is an additional benefit for a good gas plant
0 x
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 22/08/09, 12:06

I was actually thinking of a solution tailored and accessible to anyone who is able to pick up a shovel to pick them up. Simple, kind of let them dry in the sun, especially since it is summer that they develop the most.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 22/08/09, 12:32

I have already tried to simply dry certain waste in the sun: the problem is that it only dries in summer and that it is in winters that solid fuel is needed for heating

dried waste is very difficult to store properly for the winter

the advantage of metanization is to recover with the minimum of work: it makes gas having all kind of use even in summer

huge methanizers can even do seasonal storage: lower the temperature in summer to slow the methanization and make less gas therefore accumulate organic matter

increase the temperature in winter to make more gas and use what has accumulated in summer
0 x