Single chimney flue for oil and wood boiler

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
user12345
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Single chimney flue for oil and wood boiler

by user12345 » 14/08/09, 14:53

I have an oil boiler and a log boiler plugged into the same chimney flue. These 2 boilers are never used at the same time. I read on the forum that you cannot put 1 oil boiler and 1 wood boiler on the same duct or there are mixed oil and wood boilers that can be connected to the same duct. (example the Polyflam boiler from Geminox which is multi-fuel oil-wood with 2 separate combustion chambers and a single smoke outlet) or the Ideal Standard 1400 wood-fired boiler with an oil equipment option).
What is the problem with this unique conduit?

Thank you
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/08/09, 14:57

Hello

Where did you read this and why is it prohibited?

Maybe it's more an administrative reason (insurance) than a technological one, isn't it?

Generally a wood-burning appliance needs a larger draft because it is a natural draft. An oil boiler works "well" without a chimney. This is not the case with a wood stove ...
0 x
user12345
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by user12345 » 14/08/09, 15:04

a standard specifies that "each central heating boiler must be connected to an individual exhaust duct" with some exceptions for boilers of the same type.
For what reason it is prohibited, that is the object of my question. in the case of my installation there is no problem of draft.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/08/09, 15:08

So standards = administrative. If it has been normalized, there is therefore a risk.

It is surely to avoid the chimney fires (cause: wood bister) when the oil boiler turns .... with the consequences that one can guess if it spreads ... to the oil tank!

The fact that the boilers do not turn at the same time does not change anything. But it is true that hybrid boilers are therefore incompatible with the standard!

If you have the text of the standard, please take a look.
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 14/01/10, 19:22

at the time of ignition, the oil boiler causes a pressure wave in the chimney, which can then back up by the wood boiler or any other device. on the other hand the wood boiler can clog the chimney and it can then be under pressure instead of vacuum when one turns on fuel oil.
a chimney must never be under pressure, at any point, risk of CO 2 and CO poisoning.
there have been many accidents, hence the regulations.
0 x
Michael07
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Michael07 » 15/01/10, 11:41

Hello,

It has now been ten years that I have alternately used a wood log boiler and a fuel boiler on the same flue.
There is only one boiler connected at any given time. The passage from one to the other requires the disassembly of the conduits of one for the assembly of the conduits of the other which moreover do not have the same diameter.
In general when I do this operation I take the opportunity to sweep the casing of the chimney.
@+
0 x
zorglub
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by zorglub » 03/02/10, 17:12

about twenty years ago, I had an oil stove and a wood / coal stove on the same fireplace, and I never had any problems (the stove was plugged in above the oil stove)
and jez never heard of regulation (is it the "on-said"?)
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 03/02/10, 17:36

no, these are not "hearsay".
the only case where it is authorized is the shunt or so-called Alsace connection, but it is for buildings of a certain height.
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 03/02/10, 17:53

And you would have a reference, a text of law?

As you seem to know, oops sorry, the stove, what about the use of pellet stoves in a building?
0 x
See you soon !
zorglub
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by zorglub » 03/02/10, 17:56

Okay ! I would like to believe it, but I have not found the corresponding standard. what is it ?
0 x