Use the driving force of pressurized water from the network

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Use the driving force of pressurized water from the network

by Cuicui » 25/03/09, 15:26

Use of the driving force of the network water pressure. We can recover the water after having made it work. For small jobs in the event of a power failure
Example: hydraulic press to make apple juice (water inflates a flexible bladder)

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/03/09, 16:03

We had already talked about it and made estimation calculations: it is a negligible energy ...

The only econologically and potentially interesting thing would be to recover the Hyrdaulic energy from the sewers ... But that would increase the risk of flooding, of non-evacuation of wastewater and I am not talking about the risk of corrosion and maintenance ...
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 26/03/09, 10:36

Christophe wrote:it is negligible energy ...

Disagree, this press works very well :P
For me, what works is not negligible.
If I find other applications (mainly systems requiring pressurization, therefore consuming very little water) I will keep you informed ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/03/09, 13:55

When I say negliable it is in relation to an investment cost ... and an econological profitability ...

A pico turbine that costs 200 € and produces 10W when you take your shower, it probably takes 1000 years to make it profitable ...

The example of the press probably works well I have no doubt ... but what is its overall efficiency compared to an electric model?

Most networks are supplied with pumps ... electric (water tower) ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 26/03/09, 14:56

Christophe wrote:[...] Most networks are supplied with ... electric pumps (water tower) ...
Electric pump to raise the water in the castle, but not to maintain the network pressure (gravity).

Nice network press! : Cheesy:
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 26/03/09, 17:35

Christophe wrote:A pico turbine that costs 200 € and produces 10W when you take your shower, it probably takes 1000 years to make it profitable ...

I was obviously not thinking of making electricity with mains water, but just using the pressure. Maybe it is possible to operate some small pneumatic tools which will become hydraulic? Of course, water does not have the elasticity of air, but we can try ...
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 26/03/09, 18:43

Cuicui wrote:
Christophe wrote:A pico turbine that costs 200 € and produces 10W when you take your shower, it probably takes 1000 years to make it profitable ...

I was obviously not thinking of making electricity with mains water, but just using the pressure. Maybe it is possible to operate some small pneumatic tools which will become hydraulic? Of course, water does not have the elasticity of air, but we can try ...

Hello,

Supply rainwater by pumping a tank installed in the attic for flushing without using an electric pump. You need a double turbine, one turning the other. Watch out for leaks!

8)
Last edited by Leo Maximus the 26 / 03 / 09, 21: 06, 1 edited once.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 26/03/09, 18:55

:D I want to say:
Using the pressure of the water network is like electric current, it amounts to having the voltage, but not the current, so no power ... p = ui
:?
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 27/03/09, 01:20

lejustemilieu wrote:: D I want to say:
Using the pressure of the water network is like electric current, it amounts to having the voltage, but not the current, so no power ... p = ui
:?

You can possibly have a little more power by using large diameter pipes limiting the pressure drops. But that consumes more water.
Mains water is fine for applications requiring little power but good pressure, such as the apple press.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 27/03/09, 07:18

the problem is that to have power you have to consume water: the price of water is much higher than the price of the energy it provides

wasting drinking water to recover a tiny part of what was spent to pump it is a bad idea

using the energy of the water network can only be interesting for something in frequent operation whose cost price does not matter ...

except in special cases: operate an electric fence in a field where there is a water supply: the turbine fesant some watt necessary will pour its water into a trough and will not be lost: the cow herd will always drink more than l used to power the fence
0 x