Build a voltage regulator for a wind turbine

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Build a voltage regulator for a wind turbine

by titiyador » 27/02/09, 16:45

Hello,

I'm not far from the end when it comes to building my wind turbine. However, I am blocking on one point: my wind turbine (generator = stepper motor) outputs 50 V and 4 amps if the 5 diode bridges are connected in parallel. However, I would like to recharge batteries to supply a small greenhouse with lighting during the year. The concern is that I cannot send 50V in 12V batteries, they would burn out. But could I not place 4 batteries in series, so to be at a voltage of 48v and allow charging without a regulator?

Is there a minimum to send to the batteries so that they start to charge, or a few volts are enough?

Finally, I am attaching a diagram found on the Ebonys site, showing the components necessary for the realization of a regulator for wind turbines, but the concern is that I do not know electronics well, so I do not even know what is the direction of current flow, and I don't know which way to place the resistors or other compass having polarities.

Thank you for your answers.

Sincerely, Tim.

Here is the diagram: Image
0 x
He who sows the wind harvest ... happiness !!
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 27/02/09, 19:40

I suppose that they are lead batteries (pcq the others have other values)
the optimal charging voltage at 20 ° C of a 12 V battery is 13,8 (around 14,2 at 30 ° C)
the intensity is important at the beginning and decreases as the charge progresses.
You could fully charge your 4 batteries in series at 55,2 volts.
The problem with your load circuit is that its efficiency is not good: all your "excess" energy will go into heat in the series transistor. Specialized inverters cut the voltage coming from the wind turbine and adapt the switching data to adapt it to the demand of the batteries
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 27/02/09, 20:06

Thank you for your Elephant response.

So it means that the scheme is wrong? it is not possible to set up? yet several people advised me .. (as well as professionals at Conrad who told me that it was possible). So still not knowing much (I'm young and I'm learning !!! :-)), I don't know what to think ...
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 27/02/09, 20:20

48V batteries, 50V charger.
I do not see the need to add a circuit. why not attack live? Your generator is not oversized, rather the reverse ...
0 x
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 27/02/09, 20:27

Well yes, but it only provides 50 volts during major gusts ...

Normally, with the diode bridges in parallel, it gives around 15-20V. Will the batteries still charge with so little voltage? ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 27/02/09, 21:35

Possible, yes, but why spend so much money on the wind turbine and its pylon, if it is to sacrifice efficiency. There are islanding inverters specially designed for this use with high efficiency.
In addition, your last thoughts make me ask myself the question: your tensions, are charged, or idle? In the second case, they are false!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 27/02/09, 21:39

well no. and the circuit cannot increase the voltage either. a switching system would be required to charge the correct number of batteries.
0 x
bobono
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Build a battery charge regulator

by bobono » 27/02/09, 22:47

With a wind turbine of this type the voltage and the frequency depends on the speed And as everyone knows the wind speed varies from 0 to 200 km an hour and more.

This type of regulator can only decrease and stop the load as soon as the level and reaches.

This is what works.

https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... O6E0Bl.pdf
0 x
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 28/02/09, 00:22

Arf ... not obvious, I still have a question to ask: is it possible to use a solar voltage regulator in wind power? If not why?

I feel like I'm not going to get out of it, and yet I'm not far from the end ...

Possible, yes, but why spend so much money on the wind turbine and its pylon, if it is to sacrifice efficiency?

Elephant, the wind turbine is self built, and for the moment it came back to me for less than 100 € all inclusive (blades (in PVC), generator (stepper motor), mats (props)).

So that's why I don't want to buy a regulator over 100 € ... If the solar regulators could work, that would be great ... [/ quote]
0 x
titiyador
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by titiyador » 03/03/09, 16:06

I rummaged a bit on the net and I found a charge regulator for wind turbines at less than 50 €. Can you tell what you think about this case? would this be suitable for my installation?

Here is the link:
http://www.eco-sapiens.com/acheter-4324 ... 2-24V.html

Thank you in advance.

Tim
0 x