Method of approximate calculation of its conso wood pellets

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
logredudon
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Method of approximate calculation of its conso wood pellets

by logredudon » 17/12/08, 00:47

Hi,

Having just installed a pellet boiler I would like to know approximately my annual conso.

This is how I intend to proceed (of course I am aware that this method may be approximate ...)

I will measure each month the mass of ashes recovered. Knowing that it must correspond to 1% of the mass of pellets burned, I could extrapolate by calculating the annual mass of granules required.
Example: if in 1 month I get 2kg of ash, so I use 200kg pellets which amounts to 2,4 tons per year.

What do you think ? I risk being far from the account?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/12/08, 10:34

Yes it is a method, assuming you know the property of your pellers:

a) Ash content:

Pellets meet the standards: https://www.econologie.com/proprietes-de ... -3623.html

It is <0.5% ash by volume. The problem is that it is <therefore unknown real value. By taking 0.5% you will have a minimum consumption value.

b) Density of your pellets (pellet only): 1100 to 1300 kg / m3

All this is VOLUME and not in mass. It is more difficult to measure a volume than a mass (especially for something that is not liquid).

Application (example):

You have 5 L of ash per month.

At 0.5% of the volume ca corresponds to 1000 L of pellets or in the worst case (least dense pellets) 1000 / 1100 = 910 kg of Pellets.

So we can say that 5L = 1 tons of pellets ... if the pellets meet the standards ... A user (dirk, did67 ...) can he confirm?

In my opinion most French pellets are far from respecting the 0.5% ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/12/08, 10:51

Christophe wrote:It is <0.5% ash by volume. The problem is that it is <therefore unknown real value. By taking 0.5% you will have a minimum consumption value.

A user (dirk, did67 ...) can he confirm?

No.

1) I just re-read a German doc on Din + certification: I'm not sure it's in volume (it seems to me very unreliable, unlike the weight - just compress the ashes). Personally, I would find it odd that it is in volume.
The document mentions the% (but not of what, volume or mass)

2) Even in Din + standard, there is a tolerance of up to 0,8% "if the natural wood used justifies it".

3) In short, the estimate would easily vary from simple to double!

I did not have fun weighing or measuring pellets ...

For my part, with my suction Okofen, I put on the calibration of the total running time of the screw and the vacuum cleaner ... The boiler, unfortunately, increases by hours (and not by minutes). When I refill my silo, I will relate the tonnage to the times recorded. From there, "hour by hour", I would know very approximately what I took out of my silo ...

Without being top, this method seems a little more reliable than the ashes ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/12/08, 11:00

Did67, it's coherent, on this page: https://www.econologie.com/proprietes-de ... -3623.html
we have:

- Ash content: <A1,0

1% (so 0.8%?) Is for "industrial" quality pellets (collective boiler room for example) because higher power devices are less sensitive to the quality of the fuel.

I agree with you that a standard in volume is strange but a drawer of ash is given in "Liters" so in volume, right?

These figures are reliable and come from the norm: CEN / TS 14961
This standard probably has some differences from the DIN ...

You can compare in this doc: https://www.econologie.com/biocombustibl ... -3622.html
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/12/08, 11:28

Christophe wrote:Did67, it's coherent, on this page: https://www.econologie.com/proprietes-de ... -3623.html
we have:

I agree with you that a standard in volume is strange but a drawer of ash is given in "Liters" so in volume, right?

These figures are reliable and come from the norm: CEN / TS 14961
This standard probably has some differences from the DIN ...

1) Just because it was posted on "econology" doesn't mean it can't be wrong! We can all make a mistake in good faith ...

2) That comes from there. Read the note 5)
which says that "it can go up to 0,8% if the natural wood used already has a higher ash content"

http://www.depv.de/holzpellets/pellets/normen/

I had, in my old computer that exploded, the control protocol of the Din + standard. I have to redo an Internet search.

I remain convinced that a standard can not be defined on as uncertain a basis as the volume of ash. Above all, the only standard that is subject to unannounced checks by an independent body. Do you see the lawsuits in prospect ???
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/12/08, 11:40

Exactly it is not the source Econology but the norm in question !!

DIN is undoubtedly the previous standard used by the Germans which will be replaced by this EU standard ...
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."