Fine particles - wood heating - OekoTube

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Revaz
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Fine particles - wood heating - OekoTube

by Revaz » 07/11/08, 15:25

Faced with these health and regulatory challenges, France will implement a "particulate plan" that will be integrated into the second version of the National Health and Environment Plan (PNSE 2). In preparation, this plan is intended to be more ambitious than European regulations in line with the conclusions of the Grenelle de l'environnement. Thus the plan foresees to reduce by 30% the emissions of PM 2,5 and 25% PM 10. France plans to adopt a target value of 15 μg / m3 for PM 2,5 from 2010. This value will become the norm not to be exceeded in 2015.

To achieve these objectives, the "particle" plan will tackle the major particle emitting sectors. In the case of domestic heating, the plan plans to reform the tax credit for wood-burning appliances to encourage the purchase of high-performance appliances and speed up the renewal of the fleet.

This implies that existing wood-fired heaters must be removed and replaced with the costs involved and the resulting economic and ecological absurdity.

In Switzerland, changes to the OPair concerning wood heating systems came into force early 2008.
The levels of fine particles pose some problems, a theme that has been generously taken up by gas and fuel oil lobbies. The summary of the modifications of the OPair are very well explained by the Swiss wood energy in the document that you find here http://www.kaminfeger.ch/skmv_f/revue_d ... _HeS_F.pdf
You find the new Swiss standards for fine particle emissions for wood-fired heating systems
http://www.admin.ch/ch/f/rs/8/814.318.142.1.fr.pdf on 73 page.

Swiss wood energy publishes the references of the two electrostatic filters for small wood heaters currently available on the market under http://www.holzenergie.ch/fileadmin/pdf ... filter.pdf

These are the Rüegg system and the OekoTube, a Swiss system developed in the canton of St. Gallen.

The OekoTube costs a little more than 2000 CHF (without VAT and without installation). The advantage of this product is that it is placed on the upper orifice of the flue gas vent, whether metal or masonry. It is extremely robust and its installation requires no intervention inside the building. You find more information under http://www.oekotube.ch/Home_fr.htm

You will also find the list of distributors.
In French-speaking Switzerland, industry professionals will have the opportunity to take a certification course to become OekoTube distributors from early December 2008.

available for further information ....
michel.revaz@oekotube.ch
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/11/08, 16:11

How does it work? I found no diagrams on your site! Apparently it's electrostatic filtration? But how is the filter cleaned when it is "loaded"?
0 x
Revaz
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Cleaning the electrostatic filter

by Revaz » 07/11/08, 16:24

The chimney sweeper, during its inspection and cleaning, removes the lid and the high voltage is triggered automatically. It then removes the electrode that is hung inside the flue gas exhaust duct. It cleans the duct in a very classic way. Fine particles that have agglomerated on the inner walls of the duct are not dangerous to health.
After cleaning, the electrode and lid are replaced. The extra time is negligible, according to professionals.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/11/08, 16:25

Ok but what is the interest compared to wood catalysts that already exist?

Especially since your invention consumes electricity ...
0 x
Revaz
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

OekoTube and catalyst for wood heating

by Revaz » 07/11/08, 17:49

Very good question....
First of all, the catalyst works poorly and gets dirty when it is cold. The OekoTube has a sensor that reacts very quickly to the rise in temperature and immediately begins its role of electrostatic filtering. You certainly know that it is during the ignition of the fire that the large quantity of fine particles is emitted. This moment is therefore decisive.

Then, the electrostatic filter captures more than 90% of PM1, PM2.5, and PM10. Its efficiency in this pallet size of PM is excellent.

Finally, electricity consumption: the OekoTube consumes about twenty W when it is engaged. It only works when a fire is on. Otherwise, it is in sleep mode (1W). The next developments of the OekoTube should allow to go even lower.
It is clear, the best energy is the one that has not been used ... In the years to come, we plan, in addition to reducing power consumption, to provide a photovoltaic set with small battery for the system is independent.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/11/08, 18:39

Thank you for the explanations, I like it!

For the independent kit, why not do it with a peltier thermoelectric module? 20W it would stick very well with a peltier generator but it would need a buffer battery since it would only work when the stove is hot!
0 x
Revaz
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Revaz » 08/11/08, 08:16

Thanks for the tip"!!!
I will talk with our engineers ...
have a nice week end!
0 x
spectrum
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

fine particles

by spectrum » 10/02/10, 20:34

Thank you for these clear explanations and edifying.
It is high time to worry about these emmissions of fine particles.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 10/02/10, 23:32

the electrostatic filter is a very good filtering system

it is more economical in energy to use the high voltage to push the particles to stick against the electrode, than to force dirty smoke to pass through too fine filters which consumes the mechanical energy

the electrostatic filter have been used for a long time in the coal-fired power plants of the French electricity company: it would not be stupid to use them in smaller

I even forgot them for my purification of gazogene gas ... I'll think about it a little ...
0 x
zorglub
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by zorglub » 11/02/10, 09:11

So what do you think of my gas scrubbers on the subject "wood-pollution heating"
would not it be good for fine particles?
0 x