Wind turbines and color

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Kaiou
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Wind turbines and color

by Kaiou » 24/07/08, 22:39

most wind turbines are white or light in color.
Is there a reason for this? :?:
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 24/07/08, 23:03

The answer is at the bottom of the text, in bold :D
The question is funny.
Instruction of November 16, 2000 relating to the marking of wind turbines located outside areas encumbered by aeronautical easements

NOR: EQUA0001815J

The purpose of this instruction is to define the marking of wind turbines and wind farms which constitute an obstacle to air navigation and whose marking is prescribed in application of article R. 244-1 of the code of civil aviation and of article 2 of the decree of July 25, 1990 relating to the installations whose establishment outside the zones encumbered by aeronautical relief easements is subjected to authorization.
The provisions of this instruction are presented in the appendix according to the following plan:
1. General provisions;
2. Configuration of markup;
3. Characteristics of markup;
Appendix I: colorimetric specifications for markup by marks;
Appendix II: correlation with international regulatory texts.
In accordance with the circular of July 25, 1990 relating to the examination of applications for authorization to authorize installations located outside areas subject to aeronautical alternate easements, the civil aviation services are required to study and prescribe , where appropriate, the marking of wind turbines as part of the execution of the decree of 25 July 1990 for the field of civil aviation.
The civil aviation services (civil aviation directorate, Aéroports de Paris, regional civil aviation directorate in Antilles-Guyana, overseas civil aviation services) are responsible for applying the provisions of this instruction.
This instruction will be published in the Official Journal of the French Republic.
Done in Paris, on November 16, 2000.

For the Minister and by delegation:
The director of air navigation,
H.-G. Baudry

ANNEX
1. General provisions
1.1. Nature of the obstacle

A wind turbine generally comprises a pylon or a barrel on which is installed a nacelle which contains the electric generators and supports the rotary blades (2 or 3). The total height of the obstacle to be considered is the maximum height of the wind turbine, that is to say with a blade in a vertical position above the nacelle.

1.2. Obstacle marking

The marking of wind turbines may be required during the day and / or at night.
It must respect the configurations specified in paragraph 2 and the characteristics of paragraph 3.
The study of the lighting of wind turbines must take account of rail, sea or river traffic in order to avoid confusion.

2. Configuration of markup
2.1. Overview

Whether beaconing is required day or night, the wind turbine must be white.
In addition, it has red lights and / or marks. The configuration of the markup depends on the use of day or night, the type of light and the height of the wind turbine.
Section 2.2 specifies the different possible configurations for day and night lighting to be installed on the wind turbine with a total height of 150 m or less.

2.2. Wind turbine of total height less than or equal to 150 m
2.2.1. Day markup only

Option 1: red marks on the ends of the blades.
Option 2: medium intensity white flashing light installed on the wind turbine nacelle.

2.2.2. Night markup only

Medium intensity light (s) with white or red flashes installed on the nacelle.

2.2.3. Day and night markup

Day and night marking must comply with the provisions of paragraphs 2.2.1 and 2.2.2.

2.3. Total height wind turbine over 150 m

The configuration of the marking of wind turbines higher than 150 m will be defined within the framework of a study carried out by the services territorially competent in collaboration with the technical service of air navigation (1) and approved by the air navigation management.

3. Characteristics of markup
3.1. Wind turbine markup colors
CLICHE

Figure 3.1. Example of markup by brands on a wind turbine

The white color must be applied uniformly on the barrel and the blades of the wind turbine.
When a red marking is prescribed in accordance with paragraph 2.2, it must be affixed on the end of the blades for a length equal to at least 1/7 of the length of the blade but in no case less than 6 meters.
The colors of the marks must comply with the specifications of ICAO Annex 14 (2) (see Appendix I to this instruction). If the white and red colors do not contrast sufficiently with the environment, the use of other colors to replace the aforementioned colors must be the subject of a preliminary study validated by the technical service of air navigation.
It is possible not to mark by marks of white color the part close to the ground of the barrel of the wind turbine. However, the unmarked height must be limited to the lower of the following two values: 20 m or one third of the height of the drum.

3.2. Obstacle lights
3.2.1. Types of lights

The lighting equipment must be approved by the technical air navigation service.
0 x
Kaiou
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Kaiou » 24/07/08, 23:18

thank you (that's clear!) I was also thinking of a markup story.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/07/08, 12:57

In Germany and Belgium there are "tolerances" on the blank.

Shafts of pale color (red) and bottom of the mat in green generally degraded to better "blend" into the landscape.
0 x
Kaiou
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Kaiou » 25/07/08, 13:06

I saw that in lozère on the site of "la boulaine" above Mende, the wind turbines are not white but light gray, however when you see them from a distance they appear to be white. : Mrgreen:
0 x