MacGyver wind turbine (soapius derivative)

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
marcel
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

MacGyver wind turbine (soapius derivative)

by marcel » 24/04/08, 20:24

Hi everybody,
Following multiple reflections around Pascal's inventions (robiplan among others), I remembered one of my funny creations. This is a "back-up" wind rotor. Its performance should not be famous (satisfactory all the same) but its main asset lies in its manufacture.
It is about being able to assemble an efficient rotor in a very short time with few materials, few tools and rudimentary technology.
I also made a study version for elementary school students.

Very brief explanations on the attached doc:

https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... qEo3Nf.pdf

To your comments.
Marcel
Last edited by marcel the 27 / 04 / 08, 13: 00, 1 edited once.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 24/04/08, 22:37

Thank you Marcel for sharing your experiences with us.

It works in cross flow and also centrifugal (2 applications for the same machine, if I understand correctly ...

And as for Savonius, a little bit of fluid leaves on the side :|

But your realization has the merit of being very simple. Do you "patent" or is it for fun?

PS: Marcel also intervenes on another wind energy subject
https://www.econologie.com/forums/turbine-eo ... t4872.html
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 25/04/08, 09:13

so i would first like to say that i don't know anything about wind turbine, but intuitively, marcel's wind turbine would seem to me more efficient with an axis perpendicular to the flow than parallel !!
the deviation of the air flow on the board to exert its centrifugal force seems to me to be a little capilo-towed as they say in hairdressers. Can someone explain the benefit of this setup for me to be less ignorant? (I read that we got a constant torque ???)

PS: on the other hand I love the idea of ​​the blades made with a bottom of canister, it is simple, rigid, and clever.
0 x
Click my signature
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 25/04/08, 10:52

In the 70s (?), I bought a baba-cool green magazine " The Wild ". I can't find it. There was an article of self-construction, of a Savonius with vertical axis, which had marked me, at the time.

It was made from a 200 l metal barrel, cut in half.
Perched at the top of a mast, that's for sure, it looked great!
Rather "wild" ... :D
But it seems to me that in the drawing, the two 1/2 cans were a little separated, and interpenetrated about 1/4 to 1/3 in diameter.
But also that the respective lines of the 2 cut diameters were parallel (therefore not like the model).

The Savonius is pleasant because it is sensitive to all wind directions.
Its flaw: lower efficiency + insensitivity to light winds + inertia + does not support a too high speed of rotation

That hadn't stopped me from dreaming. And my fantasy was to live in a round tower.
(Go find out why : Lol: ).

And I extrapolated to put a Savonius turbine, wider than it was high, at the top of the tower, covered with a small pointed roof with a low slope.
The diameter of the turbine being comparable to that of the tower. Aesthetically it can pass.
Benefit: a high installation, sensitive to wind, and a permanent autonomous power supply in the slightest wind, storable on accumulators.
0 x
marcel
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by marcel » 25/04/08, 13:38

Thank you for your responses and comments.
@ remundo: no patent in sight, because there is no sufficient performance (well, you never know?). The idea was really to offer a "Mac Gyver" construction method and therefore applicable anywhere with the means at hand. (It can take 20 minutes to assemble it). Emergency system that can be guided manually if necessary.

@dirk pitt
Intuitively the "normal" soapius - if there is one! - seems more effective. But in reality, on an equal surface, this thing turns faster!
What amuses me is that it works, and rather well (depending on the few studies done on the machine).
Torque question: the soapius with an axis perpendicular to the wind (most often vertical) has a big flaw, which is that it does not develop a regular torque (a force if you want) throughout its rotation. There are even angles where it is almost in a position to "back up". To counter this factor, rotors with several stages offset by a certain angle (or even helical systems) are manufactured, so as to always maintain effective power whatever the position.
The proposed assembly is therefore parallel to the wind and like propellers, American mills, and other fan derivatives !!!, its efficiency, its torque (the force applied to the lever arm) remain constant throughout the rotation.

@gegyx
Even if I indicated the name of soapius to recall the position of 1/2 offset cans, this has nothing to do with the original. Building a real soapius is not as easy as that: rigidity, balance, torque, weight, fixation, offset ... all for a relatively low yield for artisanal achievements.
I wanted to avoid these difficulties in this model.

To finish with all, I also indicate to you (I discovered it recently) that this form is used commercially. Yes (no patent in sight for me) it appears above the "normal" soapius rotor used in skywatch anemometers.
This serves as a regulator: indeed it is a manual anemometer that must be positioned perpendicular to the wind (soapius obliges). But the manipulator is not robotic and there are bound to be errors. The 1/2 arcs of canisters placed above compensate by providing an almost identical active surface (errors of a few degrees). Check made on the measuring device directly, if we put it parallel to the wind it goes faster (indicating a false wind speed of course) and yet it drags behind it an undirected soapius which plays a resistant role of the blow !! !

http://www.kite-tek.com/boutique/images_produits/METEOS.jpg
0 x