Internet ... an ENOOORRRME energy sinkhole !!!

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
oliburn
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Internet ... an ENOOORRRME energy sinkhole !!!

by oliburn » 27/03/08, 08:00

eh yes !!!
a request on google .......... 15w
global internet ...................... 14 central !!!!!!!!!!!
a virtual person on second life consumes as much energy
than a Brazilian (on average)
in 20 years ....... internet will consume as much as any
humanity!?!?
and a consultation on forum how much is econo? : Mrgreen:

billion brown !!!!!!!
0 x
Be your own torch, your own refuge, your own master ... "
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 27/03/08, 08:45

Well done to us.

I will return to Mars.

in 20 years ....... internet will consume as much as any
humanity!?!?
in 20 years it will have a bad mouth the land without ice at the poles, with the coastal towns and ports invaded by the rising sea.
Last edited by martien007 the 27 / 03 / 08, 08: 48, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/03/08, 08:48

Yes and so?

We must relate this to the wealth created ... and to the non-pollution emitted that the Internet allows ...

In fact it's like comparing the consumption of a full bus with that of a car. This is bullshit because what is important is what this energy allows and not its absolute value.

To say that 20 years Internet will consume as much as all of humanity is an image of a journalist as they like them but which are completely screwed up because based on the growth of the Net in recent years (i.e. starting from NOTHING) ....

We have already discussed all this in other subject such as: https://www.econologie.com/forums/internet-e ... t4946.html

For SL it sure sucks but hey ... have to have fun ...
0 x
Christophe

Re: Internet ... an ENOOORRRME energy sink !!!

by Christophe » 27/03/08, 08:51

oliburn wrote:and a consultation on forum how much is econo? : Mrgreen:

No more than any other site .... and unlike the others, if all visitors followed our advice it would be greatly beneficial for energy savings ... : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Arthur_64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Arthur_64 » 27/03/08, 20:17

And even if requests are increasing, there is a real movement in favor of less greedy gear, even for servers. I believe that ovh offers an offer in this taste there.

But to quote a fairly common troll, it would also be wise to see how optimized our programs are (at the code level, I hear).

Because between the version of my word processor "X" 10 years ago and its version today, I need a much more powerful PC to run it, but what have I gained in functionality ? It is far from being proportional. This is especially true with Krosoft (bis troll) but the concern exists on GNU / Linux to a lesser extent.

However, it is possible (see OS and embedded programs).

Already, if you recompile all the progs for your bike, you can pump less resources.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/03/08, 20:30

Arthur_64 wrote:And even if requests are increasing, there is a real movement in favor of less greedy gear, even for servers. I believe that ovh offers an offer in this taste there.

We are at OVH :)
It's not that they have special eco-friendly offers but they have a fairly economical management of their data center, I talked about it recently:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/ecosalle-d ... t5038.html

Arthur_64 wrote:But to quote a fairly common troll, it would also be wise to see how optimized our programs are (at the code level, I hear).

Well there is a race for power, especially by krO $ oft and the video processor manufacturer ally to develop this that's clear ... but what's the point of having the latest OS? The important thing is to have an OS that meets your needs. Ditto for games, to my knowledge it is still CS which brings together the most online players every day ... and it is based on a game from 1998 !! (Oh yes).

Vista in this sense is a big crap ...
-30% perf. on an equivalent machine compared to Xp ...

Arthur_64 wrote:Because between the version of my word processor "X" 10 years ago and its version today, I need a much more powerful PC to run it, but what have I gained in functionality ? It is far from being proportional. This is especially true with Krosoft (bis troll) but the concern exists on GNU / Linux to a lesser extent.

Well, not to mention the OS and softs, at equivalent consumption, PCs are still more and more efficient ....

At least at the processor level. It would be interesting to have an evolution curve like (in FLOP / W for 10 years for example).

Otherwise, how do you think we can define a concept of "performance" for a pc?
0 x
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 27/03/08, 22:29

since you are stuck in pc, on my last (vista : Evil: ) it turns off by itself after a while without use, that's great, and by clicking on the mouse it restarts keeping the pages in memory! (well defois it closes me in full use! c a big me ..), if I format it to put back an xp pro, do I keep this function,? is it vistat or the processor which controls this novelty? I have vistat of me..de with the license, but will surely delete it it's too shitty, I was told that I was getting used to, but the bog of a new machine without added prog is scandalous , I wanted to simplify my life, it is not! : Evil:
0 x
White would not exist without the dark, but anyway!

http://maison-en-paille.blogspot.fr/
Arthur_64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Arthur_64 » 28/03/08, 07:33

It is an automatic hibernation feature which is only as successful as in Vista.

Perhaps there are utilities in XP that can do this?

Otherwise, you can wait for Vista SP1 ... Maybe the mods will suit you better!
0 x
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 28/03/08, 08:08

thank you, well I leave it then! , because it's economical! the only thing good!
0 x
White would not exist without the dark, but anyway!

http://maison-en-paille.blogspot.fr/
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/03/08, 10:02

Uh what is the difference with the hibernation mode which exists since windows 2000 ?????

I think Vista is largely uneconomic with regard to the resources it eats in addition ... for the SAME service rendered : Evil:

Use a PM230 to compare 2 identical PCs ...

But we deviate from the Internet ...
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."