Wood stove heating harmful to health?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Misterloxo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Wood stove heating harmful to health?

by Misterloxo » 04/01/08, 19:20

Here is a report from the TF1 news channel mentioning the possible harmfulness of the fumes given off by wood heating, especially in built-up areas and when the stoves are not properly adjusted:

JT TF1 on 02/01/2008 - 20PM -
Heating with harmful wood?
0 x
Learning disobedience is a long process. It takes a lifetime to reach perfection. "Maurice Rajsfus
To think is to say no. "Alain, philosopher
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/01/08, 19:37

Your video is timely for my "wood energy" file!

The combustion of wood is far from perfect but for a well maintained installation and with quality wood ca remains largely reasonable (and zero on CO2 or almost).

The main disadvantage of wood is particles and dust. Besides, it is for this reason that wood heating has been progressively prohibited in certain districts of large cities.

And to my knowledge, a wood stove can be adjusted less easily than an oil stove or an oil burner ... provided, in both cases, moreover, to regularly sweep the chimney. The risk of CO is as great in one case as the other contrary to popular belief ...

here are some combustion analyzes of wood boilers
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Heating with a wood stove harmful to health?

by jean63 » 05/01/08, 01:25

Misterloxo wrote:Here is a report from the TF1 news channel mentioning the possible harmfulness of the fumes given off by wood heating, especially in built-up areas and when the stoves are not properly adjusted:

JT TF1 on 02/01/2008 - 20PM -
Heating with harmful wood?

Heating with wood: same fight as for diesel => put DPF to the "exhaust" !!! .... which will get clogged and which will have to be emptied of their particles, to put them where? . We turn arround.

They do speak of FAP on pellet boilers (therefore the most recent and most advanced).

Hard life on earth ..... with each good idea, a downside.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/01/08, 08:29

There have long been catalysts for wood stove or boiler but their rapid fouling and their reduced efficiency pose more problems than anything else ... We have already talked about this a little forums: https://www.econologie.com/forums/catalyseur ... t3518.html

Their obligation on stoves and wood-fired boilers risks severely hampering their development ... This supposes that there is a reliable and inexpensive technological solution because if it is to put smoke filters that must be cleaned regularly as there are on incinerators frankly it is killing the market ...

Better to hunt con **** who burn filth (and sellers of green wood) ...

Otherwise I don't quite understand the discourse of the report because:

A priori the combustion of the pellets should be much cleaner than that of wood since their manufacture meets strict criteria (unlike wood or nobody can prevent you from burning wood that is not dry enough) ...

Otherwise any combustion of wood gives off particles contrary to what TF1 says, otherwise the smoke would simply be odorless and much less visible (CO2 and steam only) ...
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 05/01/08, 10:43

Christophe wrote:And to my knowledge, a wood stove can be adjusted less easily than an oil stove or an oil burner ...

Uh, you mean that the wood stove is deranged much easier than an oil stove with electronic regulation, condensation and all the hassle ... : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/01/08, 15:15

Uh chatam I don't know if it's humor your message but no I did say what I thought ...the simpler it is, the less complex it is, the less likely it is to go wrong ...

It's a shadock adage I think ...
0 x
AIR
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by AIR » 10/01/08, 12:56

Yes it is harmful, like taking your car. You can die by taking it.
Now, in France, we have a big problem, it is that we want to see the flame at all costs ...
Therefore, particles can indeed pass and pollute the interior of the habitat.
Another thing, it is recognized, that the combustion is not good. So spreading the ashes in a garden allows the subsistence of dioxins, which we no longer find in incinerators.
8)
0 x
the men precede the forest, the deserts follow them "CHATEAUBRIANT
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/01/08, 13:02

Hu? What dioxins in the ashes ???

If we don't burn plastics or other chemical stuff containing chlorine there is no reason to have ...

You are going to tell me: "Yes, because there is chlorine in certain barks" and you would be right but their combustion does not create dangerous dioxins ...

For incinerators on the other hand I would not be so certain and affirmative that you ... at best they are "captured" in the filters (and after ??? same problematic as with particle filters but worse).

As long as plasma torch treatments will not be used there will be a risk of dioxin
Last edited by Christophe the 10 / 01 / 08, 14: 15, 1 edited once.
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 10/01/08, 14:10

totally agree with Christophe on these 2 points.

otherwise the principle of an "electric" pellet stove:

on 220V, automatic loading of pellets via a worm screw;
an electrical resistance heated to red is put on the pellets, a fan blows on it thoroughly ... it lights up!

> during operation, a lambda sensor like that of the exhaust pipes located in the outlet tube regulates the fan in function!
for good combustion, ie less pollution.
so we can theoretically adjust the NOx?

I think we can make this yourself, with a muffler probe recuperated for breakage to hack ... motivating, especially that the electricity produced can be via a peltier component ... to think about / tinker.

but above all this process can be incorporated into fuel burners etc!
Like what it is not only the wood that pollutes, it is especially the mode of combustion that counts.

So for particles, when is a pantone process for a wood stove?

without laughing, the heads of locomotives sent water to the molten hearth which boosted suddenly, because given the ambient temperature it cracked almost instantly.

Ben will not have to rely on the manufacturers to release such a process! :D

the future of the wood stove: electrical regulation.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/01/08, 14:18

Waw Jonule agrees with me! I will note it on the calendar !!

jonule wrote:I think we can make this yourself, with a muffler probe recuperated for breakage to hack ... motivating, especially that the electricity produced can be via a peltier component ... to think about / tinker.

Frankly, don't worry about that, just the regulation on the O2 will cost you candy ... so use a turbo stove that burns "everything" ...

jonule wrote:the future of the wood stove: electrical regulation.

Not at all agree ... told me that it could not last ...
The future lies in simplicity and robustness ...

ps: no for Nox ...
0 x