vertical wind generator and tractor on the farm

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
damienf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

vertical wind generator and tractor on the farm

by damienf » 29/11/07, 14:43

Hello,
being a dairy breeder, I have a leroy-sommer generator 3000rpm for tractor PTO 540rpm and we are very numerous to be like this for power failures or strikes or even increasingly destructive storms ...
It's been a long time that I have been trotting the idea of ​​coupling this machine to a wind turbine, which is more in my opinion, with a vertical axis ... The wind turbine part fixed on a shed roof and the generator on the ground and decouplable just in case. ..
The technical challenge for me is the calculation of the driving surface and the transmission to the ground and at a speed close to the nominal speed of the PTO tractor. It then remains to store and possibly resell the surplus. I have a France weather wind rose requested during a meeting with a manufacturer. Could anyone help me to launch this project, calculation, plans, etc ...
0 x
dairy farmer looking for solutions
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/11/07, 14:55

The wind turbine is not necessarily the best solution in your case since if I understand correctly you want to do self-production in case of EdF cut?

However for an industrial installation (therefore agricultural) it is unthinkable to store energy and therefore you risk having a problem of availability.

However in your case you would have a biogas deposit ... and it is much easier to store gas than electricity.

So even if it means taking a “cheap mass-produced” engine to be changed every X years rather than an overpriced “biogas” engine that is therefore difficult to pay off, I think that should be considered.

This would be, I think, the best solution since your main goal is to make current and not cash (well if I understood correctly).

However if you want advice in the sizing of a vertical axis wind turbine, here is a page from a member's site forum which is very well done:

http://users.skynet.be/fa272699/Energie ... /index.htm

For biogas, here is already a link allowing you to estimate your deposit: https://www.econologie.com/forums/biogaz-met ... t2338.html
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 29/11/07, 20:36

Good evening Damienf

You will encounter several problems for your project
1) the Leroy-Somer generator is not suitable for producing electricity from wind power -> in question the speed of rotation of the rotor, with vertical or horizontal axis, which is not constant
In addition, I imagine that the power of this generator is substantial (several KW?) And would require a sizeable installation, difficult for an autoconstructor to reach.

2) Reselling to EDF is not easy
Assuming they are interested in your electrical power, your installation must still be compliant for the connection
This means that it will be necessary to invest in a special inverter and pay for the connection to the grid (and there goes !!)
For the conformity of the installation, here is a link that may interest you:

http://www.drire.gouv.fr/paca/energie/% ... achats.htm

If you have a real personal econologist challenge to take up, I think, like Christophe, that you must above all forget the resale to EDF and aim for production for your own needs.

Do not hesitate to tell us about the evolution of your project

Good luck

A+
0 x
damienf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by damienf » 29/11/07, 20:45

Thank you for the links, but overall, the economic necessity prevails in my profession and the biogas plant requires very large investments ... Except I am looking for something both practical and economical at my level and this idea of wind generator which drives my generator seems to me to develop, especially since many of us in my case have a generator which runs only a few hours per year ...
0 x
loop
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by loop » 29/11/07, 21:04

OK Damienf for your objective to make your generator profitable and avoid running the tractor (KW / CO2 yield not very ecological)

What you need to know about electricity production:
The constant engine speed allows the stabilized speed rotation of your generator for an electrical production at 50 Hz
This is the case for a standard generator or in your use with an external heat engine drive
I imagine that there is a regulation system which locks on the generator frequency and controls the power of the tractor engine in case of high power demand
This system is specific to the production of current by thermal engine.
Producing at 50 Hz continuous speed is very difficult from wind power, especially on a modest installation where the rotor inertia is low, and the wind speed low near the ground
So you have to consider sending electrical production to a buffer, i.e. a battery
For this, you need to convert the 220 V single-phase voltage into DC 12 or 24V and charge a large battery with this production
An inverter will then allow you to connect everything to your installation to supply it with 220V 50Hz

So much for the electrical part, for the mechanical part, you must first of all assess the size of the rotor according to the mechanical power that can be captured, and size the rest so that it holds up "the shock" and is durable

A+
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/11/07, 21:12

damienf wrote:the biogas plant requires very large investments ...

That's what you say EdF and officials to discourage small producers with potential !! (you're casually you are potential competitors) ...

Maos if you do not want to resell ... you can very well do self-construction ... and even for the methanizer there are much cheaper methods than mega-concrete tanks ...

damienf wrote:Outside I am looking for something both practical and economical at my level and this idea of ​​wind turbine which drives my generator seems to me to develop, especially since many of us in my case have a generator that runs only a few hours a year. ..

Yes, but there is a good chance that these "few hours a year" are not when it is windy ...

In addition if you need heat (stable?) Cogeneration can be done very easily!

As soon as it is not standardized or certified and we know how to tinker with it and recover (the case of 100% of the farmers I have met) we can divide the prices by 10 ...
0 x
damienf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by damienf » 29/11/07, 21:13

a small link which shows what the incriminated object is: http://www.leroy-somer.com/fr/doc/fiche.php?id=221
it is an independent chassis which is harnessed to the agricultural tractor and which is driven by the universal joint power take-off whose nominal speed is 540 rpm and which is connected to the farm circuit via '' an inverter for network and device security ... This is worth 1500 to 3000 € HT at the professional level depending on the power and the type of alternator ... So, we should be able to run it by a wind turbine , but the manufacturers of vertical axes have not yet planned this scenario, so I'm looking.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/11/07, 21:18

Your alternator could be coupled to a biogas engine ... you could even consider powering an old recovery tractor static with :)

Sorry i insist but i still believe thata wind turbine is not the right choice for you... unless your farm is placed on a hill or it is constantly blowing ...
0 x
damienf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by damienf » 29/11/07, 21:21

Regarding the speed of rotation and the production of electricity, the material produces current as soon as it rotates, with the nominal voltage and its power of 20 kw which can be reached at the quoted PTO speed. .. That said, indeed, at low speed, can the current produced be stored anyway and rectified? Are conventional or vertical axis wind turbines subject to these constraints?
0 x
damienf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by damienf » 29/11/07, 21:27

my farm is at the 4 winds and I do not speak only for myself; I think that the idea is to dig and for the engines with biogas, it is true that my cows make kilos of "shit" but the investment even at least can not be of the field of the ingenious DIY, it is when even a classified installation and as long as it is profitable ... In the same vein, we all have roof surfaces that we could also equip with photovoltaics and it is starting to be practiced
0 x