Where did Calypso II go?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Earthman
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Where did Calypso II go?

by Earthman » 27/02/07, 08:32

I've been asking myself this question for a while ...

I was struck in my adolescence (at the end of the 70s) by this new concept of Cousteau's ship which had a metallic tubular sail in its center (!).

Anyone know his history (origin and destiny) and why he did not make small?

I imagine that it was not developed, but if Cousteau had adopted it, it is because he believed in it, and a concept is perfected, right?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/02/07, 09:21

I think a quick search on google and wikipedia should teach you more quickly.

Regarding the sail I never knew if it was a Turbovoile or a Magnus effect sail ... Maybe the 2 effects combined?
0 x
Earthman
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Earthman » 27/02/07, 09:54

I thought I would find the answer on Wikipedia and Google (and I have now found it), but I found it interesting to ask the question here to see if other people remember it.

That said, the Wikipedia article claims (and that would explain the disappearance of the object! : Cheesy: ) that the "Calypso II" ... never existed other than on paper !!!
Besides, I have the "fairly" precise memory of having seen filmed images of it, of having seen a documentary by Cousteau in which he presented his new toy. So: total fantasy, model, unfinished prototype? Personally, I favor the last option.

(And Wikipedia talks about "turbo-sail" ... What is the "Magnus Effect" sail? Yes, well, it's okay: "Wikipedia"! : Evil: )

;)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/02/07, 10:19

EarthMan wrote:That said, the Wikipedia article claims (and that would explain the disappearance of the object! : Cheesy: ) that the "Calypso II" ... never existed other than on paper !!!

Whatever...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 27/02/07, 13:41

The Alcyione, it's his name has indeed sailed!

I saw it with my own eyes in the port of La Rochelle a few years ago. I think he was still there when I spent a day there anti anti Le PEN demonstrations between the 2 rounds of a presidential election. :?

I remember well the panel which explained the principle of the turbovoiles. In particular the "fans" internal to the turboshaft which created the depression necessary for its operation ...

It is a superb building ... 8)
alcyone
0 x
zac
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 27/02/07, 14:34

citro wrote:The Alcyione, it's his name has indeed sailed!

I saw it with my own eyes in the port of La Rochelle a few years ago.
In particular the "fans" internal to the turboshaft which created the depression necessary for its operation ...

It is a superb building ... 8)

Hello

Superb yes

but it never worked correctly and considering the windage it was dragging against the wind I doubt that it is consumed less than a conventional diesel. In addition its superb "turboshake" or "turbo mat wing" had a little tendency to fall : Evil:

But hey it's not a legend it did exist (at one time he was in Fort Lauderdale waiting for the experts following a dismantling).

@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 27/02/07, 15:08

I do not understand why this unmask? maybe in very very bad weather? The mast has a higher wind resistance than a classic sailboat, which has collapsed all its sails (21m² anyway ...).
But the principle is super bright: catch the wind where it comes from, without worrying about direction.
The turbine transmits the movement directly to the propulsion.
----
About bad weather, Zac… Didn't Piton St Leu fall on your head? The hydrogen tanks haven't gone away? Aquaculture trials, are they drowned? Has Chikungunya been eradicated by enemas? Has the hammock turned into a turbine?
I was impressed by the extent of the destruction of the bridge, which was only 7 years old…
Was there slack in design or construction?
0 x
Earthman
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Earthman » 27/02/07, 15:24

Thank you all!

At least:

1 ° I have not dreamed, and
2 ° Wikipedia, it's not always fair ... :|

damn it ...
0 x
JYC
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by JYC » 30/03/08, 15:22

Unless I am mistaken, the CALYPSO II was never built.

However, there is another Fondation Cousteau boat which is powered by a Turbovoile. It is the Alcyone, the only active boat of the Cousteau Foundation.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbovoile
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcyone_(bateau)

It seems that Wikidepia was right on this point ... :D
0 x
Earthman
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Earthman » 30/03/08, 15:36

Thanks to JYC, we apply one of the principle of turbo-sails here: we go in circles! : Lol:
0 x