School project construction of a wind turbine.

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Maxou-INHNI
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

School project construction of a wind turbine.

by Maxou-INHNI » 28/09/15, 12:23

Hello everybody,
I am currently in the last year of BTS MSE (Trades of environmental services) and I plan to build a small wind turbine and its generator.
It is a project that I have to present at the end of the year, which is more a study project, at the base than construction.
I do not have particularly knowledge neither in physics nor in mechanics / electricity on the other hand I have teachers available who can help me to understand certain phenomena which would escape me.
I could read on different sites, that the characteristics of the blades were related to the characteristics of my generator.
This is why I want to create my own generator and thus fully choose the choice of materials for the blades, etc., and thus make my life a little easier.

So I would like to have some advice from people more knowledgeable than me.
To know if building my own generator will facilitate the feasibility of my project,
What preferred materials?

For the moment I tell myself that I would probably use aluminum for the blades, not having a carpentry workshop or other, it seems to me that aluminum is the easiest to work (?)

I do not know exactly the usefulness of my wind turbine, nor its size. Can be recharge a battery or light some LEDs depending on the feasibility always.

Regarding the place of installation of my wind turbine, I do not know either if I want to have it fixed or by hand (if possible).
I have a garden available (as well as the roofs therein). And a boat moored in a port ..

I'm lost and can't get started .. ANY help is welcome :)
0 x
benny
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by benny » 18/11/15, 15:44

your project interests me for the answers you could receive.
if you have already received them, could you share them with me or tell me if you could find answers elsewhere.
thanks in advance. :?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 19/11/15, 11:44

it’s dumb to choose a project that will be noted, that you must do in one year, and for which you do not have the skills!

search the information for a personal project on the net is understandable, but for an end of study project you must choose a project where you already have the necessary skills
0 x
benny
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by benny » 21/11/15, 16:19

Hello. I'm just looking for someone who has done this kind of project to achieve it with my sons. it is not part of a school project. I'm not afraid of doing it. I have a fairly good grasp of everything related to extraordinary DIY.
thank you for any help.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 21/11/15, 17:29

you better open another topic, to clarify what is your goal, which is completely different, and can be easier
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 21/11/15, 19:32

Hi,

Although the subject of building a wind turbine is recurrent, I still find it interesting to look into it.

For a study project, rather than setting the goal of designing a wind turbine with limited resources and little time, why not stay more theoretical and embark on a comparison of wind technologies, which seems to me simpler and just as interesting.

(When you are a student you are generally not very rich and the priority remains studies (and partying), so a sharp project may be difficult to carry out and finalize, and the results may be disappointing) .

The many successful wind turbine design projects (in particular on econologie.com) show that the task is not simple, long and often hazardous.

For example, why not look into a comparative study of 2 different wind turbines?
One with a vertical axis, the other with a horizontal axis, or with a different number of blades (3,5 or more).
The idea is to compare the yields of several wind technologies implemented in the same place therefore receiving the same wind.

It is therefore not the performance of the wind turbines that will be studied as such, but the relative performance of one compared to the other, and therefore it does not matter if the DIY wind turbines are not of a high technological level with poor yields.

I even think that for this type of study, a company specializing in small wind turbines could provide 2 types of used wind turbines ... Yaka sharpen your commercial smile and knock on doors, and convince them that your study can serve as an argument for their products!

Ultimately, tinkering with 2 small wind turbines can be simple and quick using simple systems such as 2 electric bicycle wheels as a generator (this is now easy).

Either you equip each of the wheels with a different number of blades and you stick a fin on it, or you tinker with a wind turbine with a horizontal axis and the other with a vertical axis. (I remember, moreover, that a student project of a wind turbine with a VAE wheel motor had received an innovation award)

You could suggest the idea to your teachers who could refine the subject ...

Ps: I live in the south of France in PACA, region where often a violent and irregular wind blows: the mistral.
I see more and more small wind turbines equipping buildings and I often wonder why there are so many technologies implemented (wind turbines with horizontal / vertical axis, or even other different like this:Image

If the subject interests you, you can make your choice:

Here are other interesting wind turbines:

There is grain to grind with all these examples! ...
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
sycholote
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by sycholote » 24/11/15, 07:02

These are very detailed photos and descriptions. Very good : Cheesy:
0 x