Demonstrator for electricity production with a bike!

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
emlaurent
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Demonstrator for electricity production with a bike!

by emlaurent » 24/03/14, 12:36

Hello,

I would like to make a stationary bike equipped with a generator to produce energy.
I know the limits of human production and my goal is not to produce electricity to power my home! This is to demonstrate on fairs and power a lamp, a radio, a video game, etc ... when people pedal.
It's only educational and to make people aware of what energy is.

In short, I stumble on the choice of technical solutions: choice of the engine (generator), the rectifying circuit (if necessary), and a buffer battery (if you feed a video game eg to avoid micro-cuts).
I did not find much technical information on these montages.

There is of course the solution to use a car generator:
- with a belt on the rear wheel and on the axis of géné, one arrives at the multiplication for the 1500 rpm but good transmission losses and must feed the excitation ...
- rewinding, it seems a little too complicated

PS: I went through other econological threads on this topic but most links are dead ...

PS2: I would like us to stay mostly on the technique and not on the delusions of producing electricity for injection on a network! ;-)

Thank you info!
Emmanuel
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/03/14, 14:25

the car alternator is a bad solution, because bad performance ... lost power with the exitation quite important so we can lose everything below a sufficient power

Another disadvantage of these alternators: regulation that increases the torque when the speed drops: very unpleasant for a bike

I find the assembly of an alternator on a bicycle enough pedagogical to show what a kwh!

I have already done with a simple asynchronous motor plugged into the 220 v and a good old counter edf

when we connect the 220V engine it runs at its empty speed and consumes a fairly low power if we chose a model of good quality has good performance: if you pedal you can not increase the speed, but we see the counter turn a backwards, much faster, than empty consumption

another even more autonomous solution: dismantle an asynchronous motor and replace the rotor with a piece with magnets: it is possible to make a high-performance aleternator

for a good performance it is necessary to avoid making the magnetic sheet work too close to the saturation: so it goes well with a motor coiled to make the 380V but used only to make the 220V

it is also possible to make a wound exitation: we must not see the bad example of car alternators whose power of exitation is strong because they are badly done to save material: a good alternator with wound excitation can have a very weak exitation power

put a battery and a converter that makes the 220V constant voltage kills the pedagogical side: I prefer an alternator that 220V 50V only if you pedal at the right speed: we can use the derailleur to find the most effective pedaling speed

to run a game just use a laptop that already has its battery, and whose power supply box is very tolerant of voltage variation: usually works from 100V to 250V and does not care about the frequency

if the efficiency of the alternator is good, a small portable can be powered without exaggerated effort, and it is possible to put 220V lamp in addition

the performance of the bike chain transmission is very good

the performance of a flat belt between the bike wheel and the alternator pulley can be very good too

it can be done with an unmodified whole bike and its derailleur to have a good choice of speed, a flat belt that uses the tire as a pulley
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/03/14, 14:51

Just that if you use a port with his batteries, there will be no direct physical link between the pedaling effort and the operation of the rodi ...

I think that to be a pedago, you need a direct link: as soon as you get up, it stops!

The old e-bike dynamo and its ridiculous bulb was, before LEDs became widespread, a good "pedago kit" on its own!

I also suggest the "thermal" use: a simple resistance, to heat a glass of water! We pedal until it's hot! After that, everyone should understand why save hot water in the shower or not let 2 liters run for the sole convenience of brushing your teeth with mixed water!
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Demonstrator for electricity production with a bike

by hic » 24/03/14, 16:21

Hi emlaurent
For efficiency!

Convert to a generator, a permanent magnet motor with direct drive, Type VAE,
optimized for cadence

The maximum,
integrate a generator motor into the pedalboard
optimized for 60rpm, "typical" pedaling cadence,
direct training.

emlaurent wrote:Hello,

I would like to make a stationary bike equipped with a generator to produce energy.
I know the limits of human production and my goal is not to produce electricity to power my home! This is to demonstrate on fairs and power a lamp, a radio, a video game, etc ... when people pedal.
It's only educational and to make people aware of what energy is.

In short, I stumble on the choice of technical solutions: choice of the engine (generator), the rectifying circuit (if necessary), and a buffer battery (if you feed a video game eg to avoid micro-cuts).
I did not find much technical information on these montages.

There is of course the solution to use a car generator:
- with a belt on the rear wheel and on the axis of géné, one arrives at the multiplication for the 1500 rpm but good transmission losses and must feed the excitation ...
- rewinding, it seems a little too complicated

PS: I went through other econological threads on this topic but most links are dead ...

PS2: I would like us to stay mostly on the technique and not on the delusions of producing electricity for injection on a network! ;-)

Thank you info!
Emmanuel
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/03/14, 17:07

Hello,
On the site, there is a document to turn many types of engines into generators https://www.econologie.com/telechargemen ... atrice-ac/
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/03/14, 17:58

Did67 wrote:Just that if you use a port with his batteries, there will be no direct physical link between the pedaling effort and the operation of the rodi ...

I think that to be a pedago, you need a direct link: as soon as you get up, it stops!

with most laptops there is a reduction of luminosity of the screen when one passes on battery, and full brightness when the 220V is there: it is configurable, one can thus voluntarily reduce the brightness on battery, or even make the complete black

there are lots of solutions with permanent magnet brushless motors that work naturally in alternator, but they are still very expensive, while old asynchronous motors are still full of scrap heaps

emlaurent has machining means, so remaking a rotor would be easy enough
0 x
emlaurent
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by emlaurent » 25/03/14, 10:56

Did67 wrote:I also suggest the "thermal" use: a simple resistance, to heat a glass of water! We pedal until it's hot! After that, everyone should understand why save hot water in the shower or not let 2 liters run for the sole convenience of brushing your teeth with mixed water!

Excellent the idea of ​​hot water!
"You have to pedal a few minutes to make yourself a hot tea!"
or even run a small cold group to cool a coke!

The, we feel the energy needed!

izentrop wrote:On the site, there is a document to turn many types of engines into generators https://www.econologie.com/telechargemen ... atrice-ac/

It looks complete! I will read that ;-)
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by hic » 25/03/14, 11:08

izentrop wrote:Hello,
On the site, there is a document to turn many types of engines into generators https://www.econologie.com/telechargemen ... atrice-ac/

Hi izentrop
Permanent magnet motors convert to a generator without modification.
As the document says
- I had a doubt about brushless motors
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
Phoenix-3000
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Phoenix-3000 » 09/08/14, 08:58

Hello,

emlaurent, I appreciate your answer. Sweating and then drinking fresh water is just great.
I still have a better idea, Personally, I will appreciate better, for the motivation side, in addition to the cool drink, to feed a vibrator ... history also to work some muscles and more
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 09/08/14, 14:35

There is a similar thread on Futura Science for those interested:

http://forums.futura-sciences.com/envir ... ement.html
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."