Standardization of glass jars

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Standardization of glass jars

by the middle » 03/11/12, 10:38

Hello,
I might have looked on the net before launching this idea.
Recently, citro also launched an idea .. which I find valid.
Here is the idea:
I recycle my glass waste ... it's the law ... mouai ...
And then they are crushed, melted, and they become pots again.
What wasted energy ...
Me, I simply propose to standardize them, there is more than to redo lids ...
Problem ... it will make more unemployed.
Problem: it will make less money for the factory bosses.
But I hope, since econology is followed by investors of all kinds, that this idea will gain ground ... : Cheesy:
DD, short your answer, please, short .... thank you
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 03/11/12, 11:26

Indeed, it is a question of energy ....

And even if this is not a desirable solution, I read somewhere that the energy expenditure to bring back empty glasses (including transport), then sterilize them after removing the old labels and finally put this glass back on. mineral with its new labeling (with a view to its reuse in an endless cycle) was more expensive and was more energy-intensive than PET (including the plastic itself in terms of the eco-balance sheet) ...

Moreover, we can even ask ourselves the question for “new” mineral glass, which is also sterilized before bottling, and which, due to its high intrinsic weight, requires a lot of energy just for its transport (sillice then glass and return for recycling) ...! And even glass that is not recycled must also be transported to landfill ...

So it would be good for that that the industrialists would have adopted the plastic bottle!

Has anyone heard the same ...?

Now yes, from another perspective: standardization is needed (and it already exists for some containers) the whole question is to know whether, whatever the case, the glass would not simply be recycled anyway, for hygiene questions?

Thus, I would add a second idea to that of Le_Juste_Milieu, which would be to recycle all the glass, in crafts and local agricultural production. It remains to be found in which sectors precisely?

I also find this idea of ​​standardization very good. This should possibly be seen from the ISO side:
http://www.iso.org/iso/fr/home/about.htm
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 03/11/12, 11:38

In the old days, it was simply called consignment. this is still done, unfortunately less and less, for some beers for example, and cans in bars.
It might be necessary to start there quite simply.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 03/11/12, 13:37

the glass would not simply be recycled anyway, for hygiene reasons

It seems to me, for example, that bottles of milk .... in the USA ..
This is what I saw in the movies ... 20 years ago : Cheesy:
Luggage ... beer is also consigned in Belgium, except cans.
So, it is less energetic to break glass, sort it and recast it, than to wash it?
No, i dont think so : Cheesy:
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 03/11/12, 15:18

when I was little a parent worked in a department store company ... he had a returnable bottle cleaning facility for bottling wine ... it was a problem nest ... sometimes bottles would arrive containing crap and it rotten the cleaning system, and you had to throw away the bottles soiled with a questionable product from one bottle ... but what if a bottle contains a viscous toxic product that no one notices?

for wine it is still easy because it is a product that keeps well ... for jars with screwed cover to store them, a very good seal is required: it would also be necessary to detect damaged jars

This does not mean that the deposit of glass packaging will never be profitable: the recycling of glass consumes energy, the price of which will increase ... the cleaning of returnable glass consumes rather labor ...

and always the same when we want to promote energy savings it will be necessary to lower the price of labor by political decision

glass packaging could also be used to package non-food products: paint and chemical type: for these products, simple cleanliness is sufficient without food safety requirements

while waiting I keep all my jars with screws and bottles as long as there is room

I appreciated the availability of screw jars on the econology store
to preserve
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/11/12, 16:20

You mention the potential problems of a deposit for glass bottles: they are probably not as insurmountable as that, since the Germans have been practicing it for a long time.

On the issue of energy costs linked to the transport of lockers, the point is more thorny.
The old examples of consignments in France concerned short and local circuits; since then, the marketing system has completely changed, which makes the application of this excellent measure much less efficient.
This clearly shows that a positive change in a specific point only makes sense in a given context and, if the latter is not in phase, this change is likely to be cosmetic.

The economic evolution towards larger and larger units involves this kind of waste that is denounced here.

I know it is generally better to seek to reduce the consequences than to tackle the causes, yet that is what you should do if you want to be a little bit consistent.
In any system, adjustment is made along the line of least effort; in the economic system, the low cost of energy predisposes it to constitute the adjustment variable.

Assuming (school hypothesis!) A very strong increase in energy costs, on the one hand, and on the other hand, a fall in wages to the level at which some wish it, it would be the workforce that would take the place occupied by energy ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 03/11/12, 16:39

I know people who do a lot of gardening and who can preserve themselves by buying jars like familia vis ...

if he knew where to buy new lids for pickle jars or other collection jars that would be useful! ... but it's people who don't use the internet ... yes there are still some!

this topic makes me think about it, I could sell them lids
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 03/11/12, 18:07

For the jams, I recycle very well the original free lids of jars store-bought and even fruit juice, no more problem than familia or other new ones, quite expensive !!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 03/11/12, 19:28

Let's be clear about the vocabulary: recycling applies to the reuse of raw material and reuse for a second use as is or partially transformed, whether the use is identical or different from the first.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 03/11/12, 20:13

Ah, literary people who in science become unclear !!!!

I recycle my old empty jars into new jams, and cyclical means going in circles or in cycles, and no more implying, of violent transformation of the raw material, with the jar including the original lid, which has been used in cycle at home for my jams for more than 20 years, as well as the new familia !!!

Et recycling means going around in circles by refilling the same jars with jam every year !!!

It is not because, through abuse of language, we have become accustomed to often using the word recycle for the raw material, that the word recycle should become limited to this case only.

In mathematics, cyclic points are not recycled raw material !!

Same for the word: negationist of reality should not be limited to a single horrible reality and never used for others which have also caused many deaths !!

The totalitarian method of limiting a very general word to one use by abuse, and of prohibiting any other use, is intolerant, authoritarian, dogmatic, and dictatorial.

I note that on econology, some have strong tendencies of this type, to eliminate those who disturb them !!
0 x