Some figures on the biogas?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
mamzelo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Some figures on the biogas?

by mamzelo » 20/03/12, 15:49

Hello everybody

I am interested in the construction of a family digester for our organic waste (kitchen waste and leftovers but no dry toilets for the moment) connected to a gas torch to light our terrace.
I have seen several articles on how to build it and I thank everyone who shared their experience.
I ask myself some practical questions ... maybe some of you can enlighten me?
what size does the methanizer have to do, imagining 3 kg of waste per week?
how much substrate is produced?
can we quantify the biogas produced and how long does it take when it is burned? (Can we light every day for several hours for example?)

I thank you in advance for your answers!

Elodie
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/03/12, 16:50

0 x
mamzelo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by mamzelo » 20/03/12, 18:01

Hello Christopher,

thanks a lot for your answer!
I had actually seen certain links, but being able to put only kitchen waste I thought that the results would be really different from the two ADEME projects because the methanogenic powers are not the same ...
Looking on the internet I find a lot of different documents, where the methanogenic power of household waste varies from 60 to 530 m3 of biogas produced per ton of material (I do not know whether it is calculated during a continuous methanation or discontinuous)
So I admit to being a little lost ...
I can not find information on the substrate, reduced it during methanation? nor how long it can burn, but here I think I have calculations to do ... : roll:

elodie
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/03/12, 18:13

Houhouhou a miss on econology (I doubted a little seen the nickname but it is confirmed)!

Hey do not run away (too fast) guys please !! : Cheesy:

The potential varies: because the nature of household waste varies ... for example, the more fatty, the more energetic. Cellulose also has good methanogenic power ... and also it depends on the control we bring to the process (especially T °) ... and as it is biology it is never "perfect" .. .

For the substrate I did not understand the question ... we do not burn it ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 20/03/12, 18:29

you want to talk about the digestate, it's the name we give to the methanisation residue

it is the material to be methanized called substrate

if it works well the digestate is much smaller in volume than the material to methanize

the solid part of the digestate can go to the trash and the liquid part to the sewer

and speaking of sewage the toilet must go to the methanizer: the m .... contains all the bacteria it takes to run the methanizer well ... except when someone takes antibiotics

it will be necessary to invent a special faucet for WC to send to the methanizer or the sewer

with just its own waste the amount of methane produced is very low: you have to see it rather as an experiment than as an energy solution
0 x
mamzelo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by mamzelo » 20/03/12, 21:41

Thank you for your answers!

ok so I would need more materials .... I can maybe ask the neighbors! more seriously I know someone working in a canteen ... if it keeps me some garbage it could be able to walk! (I have no idea how much it can represent but suddenly it will take me a big methanizer)
and how to fill it as you go? Unless it is inadvisable and it is better to wait until the end of the cycle?
I take this opportunity to ask you if you are not aware of the construction project of a methanizer made by an association, I have a sabbatical year from September and I will have benefited from it to do a little bit of volunteering in a foreign country ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 20/03/12, 22:49

there is different technique, but I prefer the technique diluted in water

the hole of introduction of the waste must arrive in the tank under the level of liquid to not leave the gas out

if we introduce whole waste, the bacteria will take a very long time to fully enjoy it, and it will remain solid pieces that will make the dump difficult

you have to grind everything that comes in, the methanisation will be faster and the emptying easier

if you do not stir the product methane remains stuck in the material and the methanization stops: you have to move energetically: so have a mechanical way to do it without losing the gas: do not sutout open a lid because that's when stirs that more gas comes out

it is absolutely necessary a heating 35 or 40 ° C: when it is too cold it is too slow: it works better in hot countries than at home

for a large methanizer, the methane can supply a generator and cooling the engine is heating the tank ... for a methanizer too small heating requires more heat than methane product
0 x
mamzelo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by mamzelo » 21/03/12, 14:03

Ok thank you for your answer,

I think I'll start with something very basic to understand how it works and then I'll tackle larger volumes ...
I did not introduce myself, I am preparing a diploma in product design and I am very interested in anaerobic digestion for my future graduation project ...
This mini methanizer project, if it works, would be the first step of another larger scale, I think your opinions will be valuable to know if it is feasible or not.
I wonder if it would be possible to create a methanizer for public / common places (in a neighborhood, at the bottom of a building) in which people would come to deposit their organic waste. The biogas produced could then be burned to power a gas lamp post (following the same process as the 19ème streetlights, but with an autonomous ignition system).
A project like this one has already been done, from dog excrement: http://parksparkproject.com/home.html
there are a lot of constraints that I do not know how to solve, how to empty the digestate easily, can it work with the organic waste of, for example, a community of forty families, ...
I would like to have your opinion on the issue because if people saw concretely the results of recycling, they would be interested and recycle more ... so we must create a product that shows them that recycling organic waste is good for the planet - it's simple :D
0 x
mamzelo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by mamzelo » 21/03/12, 14:54

another point, if we follow the estimates of gas production from household waste, we have: 100m3 / ton of raw material
let's imagine a family of 3 / 4 people, 4 kg of organic waste per week ... either 0,4 m3 of biogas created per week, or 400L.
A camping gas lamp consumes gas 1L for 10h lighting ...
I'm pretty sure that my reasoning is not plausible but I do not see what I'm forgetting ....
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 21/03/12, 14:59

mamzelo wrote:another point, if we follow the estimates of gas production from household waste, we have: 100m3 / ton of raw material
let's imagine a family of 3 / 4 people, 4 kg of organic waste per week ... either 0,4 m3 of biogas created per week, or 400L.
A camping gas lamp consumes gas 1L for 10h lighting ...
For the camping lamp, the gas in the cartridge is under pressure and liquid.
This corresponds to a much larger volume of gas at atmospheric pressure (about 430 liters for butane).
0 x