Wind turbine for hot water cumulus?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
fdcvep
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Wind turbine for hot water cumulus?

by fdcvep » 07/01/12, 11:23

Hello,
I know that this question has already been more or less asked but I did not find a clear and understandable answer for me of course.
Here is my house is equipped with 2 cumulus in series of 200 liters (installed by the former owners and having several children), and for the moment I use only one. It is at the limit sufficient if we consider that I have 3 daughters!
I would like to know in the first place and apart from the financial aspect, if it is possible to connect a direct wind turbine to the cumulus not used to preheat the water before the cumulus connected to the network.
If yes, what else should you put aside the wind turbine and the 230V converter?

So I would like to know first of all if it is technically feasible and what is needed as material.
I will look at the dimensioning, financial and possible gain aspect afterwards.

thank you in advance for your help

Franck
0 x
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 07/01/12, 12:32

Hi, I am not an expert at all on the issue but from all that I have read on the forum, we would rather advise you to put solar panels to heat your water.

Nevertheless I have the same project as you. Why? When I see the amount of my heating bill and that of electricity knowing that heating oil is only climbing ... Belgium has cut aid for the production of green energy on new installations ... I So wanted to make a small interface which, when I don't need electricity elsewhere (for example at night), heats a water tank which would greatly limit the start-up of my boiler. The wind turbine would be used for two things, on the one hand the feeding of a small barn in lighting (2 times nothing) and a small workbench and the heating of water ...
0 x
dani38
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: Wind turbine for hot water cumulus?

by dani38 » 10/01/12, 09:56

fdcvep wrote:Hello,
I know that this question has already been more or less asked but I did not find a clear and understandable answer for me of course.
Here is my house is equipped with 2 cumulus in series of 200 liters (installed by the former owners and having several children), and for the moment I use only one. It is at the limit sufficient if we consider that I have 3 daughters!
I would like to know in the first place and apart from the financial aspect, if it is possible to connect a direct wind turbine to the cumulus not used to preheat the water before the cumulus connected to the network.
If yes, what else should you put aside the wind turbine and the 230V converter?

So I would like to know first of all if it is technically feasible and what is needed as material.
I will look at the dimensioning, financial and possible gain aspect afterwards.

thank you in advance for your help

Franck
hello happy new year, I also start with a cumulus of 300 liter which I used more to do like you with any heat source, wind turbine, burn everything, ect ect, I made a drawing, for the wind turbine I did tests, with a scooter motor, 24 volt, 250 watts, that I install on a bike, I blush a piece of resistive wire that I took on an old hair dryer, its walking well, it all depends on the length you put as a son, with a savorius wind turbine, with 300 liter canisters it should work, to have speed you take old bikes and recover the more chain gears you make a gearbox there there are some on the net that make it, and you also burn it all, I put them outside these a 200 liter barrel I made copper coils for heating, I burn any paper ect, solar heating also these well especially in summer, all its its done, with three or 4 way valves, circulator ect ect, or by thermosiphon, I and seen on this site that talks about it, for your cumulus, connect these steps directly to its heating, the resistance is very greedy, I removed the resistance part, these a combination or we can remove the resistance which is not in direct contact with the cumulus we can find 12 volt heaters on the net, like a motorhome, which places them inside a plastic canister, type on google (12 volt resistive wires) you have heating cords ect, you also has a site contact me in mp for the site, the publicity and prohibited I believe, there is what to make in my opinion and for not expensive, me I recover a max with the refuse, go to work, one can make some things, in addition to the net these super, before we did not have it, it was not easy, see you !!!!!
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 10/01/12, 16:11

Basic:
your wind turbine with the 220V must give a power slightly higher than that required by the water heater, typically 1 to 2 KW.

Otherwise, the 220V converter regulator will stop.

But any current even weak sent by the wind turbine directly in the resistance will heat the balloon, but very slowly.

But you risk that in too strong wind, the wind turbine with its alternator, giving an excessive voltage above 220V, will destroy the resistance of the ball, if a regulator does not limit to 220V more a little.
0 x
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 10/01/12, 19:55

Isn't it possible to make a "homemade" balloon or to modify one to give it a slightly different thermal resistance? For example one who tolerates from 220 to 380? A supplier like this must be able to provide it to us http://french.alibaba.com/product-gs/el ... 48977.html
I quite like his picture below.
Perhaps a big delirium, but one could imagine a small automaton, of the arduino type, which measures the input voltage supplied by the wind turbine and to use several resistors (10) in 24 volts for example. Depending on the voltage, the arduino will trigger relays to turn on more heating resistors. For example, above the famous 220 volts, its will switch a small mixer to 12 volts. Now, it's certainly a pipe dream, especially since I don't know if the performance is better for a 220-volt resistor that receives 110 volts or four 4-volt resistors that turn fully and 24 at a standstill?
In your opinion? Otherwise it is the kind of project that I like very much and that I could implement very soon!
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 10/01/12, 21:16

You can do what you want while respecting the properties of the resistors.
Read this basic course with care :
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9sis ... t%C3%A9%29
and use it according to your material.
All the energy is found to heat in the resistors in proportion to the value of the resistance and the square of the current.
Part of the energy is dissipated in the internal resistances of the wind turbine with the same law.

Aussi with care :
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation ... 3%A9dances
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_de_tension
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_synchrone
0 x
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 10/01/12, 21:54

Thank you Dedelco, I would consult all of this once the exams have been passed! After analyzing the project, if it is possible, I will open a post about it!
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 10/01/12, 22:49

I have approximately the same project with my 1000W wind turbine at 24V
But I'm going to keep it simple: replace the balloon resistance with a 24V one and connect the wind turbine directly: no regulation, no conversion = no headache.
For now I have a house to renovate so it's not for now : Cheesy:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 10/01/12, 23:26

And baths only in high winds !!!
0 x
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 10/01/12, 23:26

Sad to say, but in Belgium now and economically, I think the best thing to do with electricity produced by a small wind turbine is to heat its water ... In view of the increase in the price of diesel which is still going to take place and the price of the various installations ...
0 x