Bathroom ... what a coating for walls?

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
Kcenia
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Bathroom ... what a coating for walls?

by Kcenia » 12/04/10, 10:27

Hello
I'm sorry, I do not know where to ask my question ...
We will arrange the attic of our house (we double the surface like that) with among others a bathroom

I hate tiling and I wondered if there was an alternative for a water room that was about as efficient and at least not worse from an ecological point of view ...
Someone would have any idea ?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/04/10, 13:30

Good question, I do not really have an answer.

How do you think tiles are so "environmentally worse"?

It is however very durable if one does not choose something too "in fashion" and if the installation has been done well ...

It's the gray energy that worries you? Mortar sticks?
0 x
Kcenia
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Kcenia » 12/04/10, 13:51

I did not express myself well, it's not from an ecological point of view that I hate tiling, it's the material for use
I think it's cold, hard, it breaks and it breaks everything that falls, the joints is a pain to clean ...
in short, I like po

the ecological side is not to do anything in replacement (like the teak floor with boat seal that my brother was proposing me laughing)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/04/10, 14:13

Normally a tile that is well laid with the right materials and professional methods, it holds (at least) 50 years ...

There are now big tiles with less joints but it's tricky to ask if auto pose ...

A floor on the wall? Ah it's a paneling then :)

Ben voila: I suggest you a paneling PVC ... thin ah it is anti-eco PVC ... : Cheesy: there should be some more eco-friendly alternatives like no paneling?

ps: teak fsc or pefc is not so green ...
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 12/04/10, 23:16

Kcenia wrote:I did not express myself well, it's not from an ecological point of view that I hate tiling, it's the material for use
I find this cold, hard, it breaks and it breaks everything that falls, the joints are galley to clean ...
in short, I like po

The most pleasant (hot) I have ever tried is cork (in kind of thick plates).
It's not cheap but the comfort is unmatched, and good quality it holds very well (The bathroom that I know is covered floor and wall, more than 20 years and is still flawless!)

From an ecological point of view, is not it so full of more or less toxic chemicals and exploited in a sustainable and intelligent way?
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/04/10, 00:52

Cork everywhere? Even in the shower? I knew the cork was "hydro resistant" but not that much!

Are you taking pictures next time if the owner is ok? : Idea:
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 13/04/10, 21:31

No, the shower cabin over the bath is "traditional" (resin / plastic) : Mrgreen:
There are only the walls and cork floor.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Kcenia
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Kcenia » 13/04/10, 21:36

I searched the net and actually we find things (and more or less enthusiastic testimonials)
I will try to contact companies for additional information

here no cabone shower but large bathtub (we bathe 3 children at the same time, it is profitable :D)
so the really sensitive part will be limited, at least in height
0 x
Hannabella
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Bathroom ... what cladding for walls?

by Hannabella » 01/03/17, 23:02

Hello,

In my bathroom, I made the choice of a paneling made in an imputrescible essence: acacia false acacia. Indeed, I'm not really a fan of tiling and that it is possible, I use wood materials that I find so much warmer ... And for once, I'm really pleased with the result, my walls are impeccable despite the humidity of the room!
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Bathroom ... what cladding for walls?

by chatelot16 » 02/03/17, 08:53

Robinia is as resistant to moisture as teak and it grows in France ... there are even some who do not like it because it is invasive
1 x

Go back to "Real estate and eco-construction: diagnostics, HQE, HPE, bioclimatism, natural habitat and climatic architecture"