New windows and treatments?

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
sam beckett
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

New windows and treatments?

by sam beckett » 27/04/08, 19:40

Hello,

In a very short time I will be changing my windows (wooden windows, 30 years old, single glazing), in order to improve my insulation.
After a long reflection, I opted for mixed wood / aluminum windows, from the Minco brand. Like this no maintenance outside, while taking advantage of the wood inside.
But here it is precisely about wood that I wonder ...
After verification, I learned that the wood, although only exposed inside, was still treated.
It receives an insecticide, fungicide + 2-layer stain treatment (with water).
In addition, the wood is glued laminated, and therefore contains glues in vinyl dispersion.

So I was wondering do all these treatments pose a health risk?
or is it negligible, since there is little wood in a window (almost only glazing ...)

thank you for sharing your opinions on the matter ..
0 x
Mesh
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Mesh » 27/04/08, 22:15

There is no miracle solution! : Cry:

PVC is even worse with all the products they put in to fight against UV, creep, aging ...

The best is to ventilate often ... But there are mornings when I open my window, it is a smell of petroleum which I smell and which comes from this pu ... of diesel! :x
0 x
About the sixth extinction of life on Earth?
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 28/04/08, 09:24

Hi sam, I made the same choice of windows as you, but not from the same manufacturer.
Your questions are relevant, I could not answer them completely; I opted for larch wood, you probably for oak (Minco mainly makes oak). For glues I don't know but ask for info at Minco; Since these windows are high-end, they must be able to inform you, in any case to be attentive to the client.
For stains, I was told that now only water-based products were allowed: to check of course.
For my part I opted for Austrian windows and knowing their ecological fiber in this country, I do not have too much concern.
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 28/04/08, 09:57

Hello,

I do not think that fungicide type stain treatments are harmful in the atmosphere

Personally, I just ordered new windows to replace my glazing small panes single glazing of 30 years, certainly in good condition, but I calculate for the tax credit and in revaluation of the house as well as in removal of old walls;
I took a PVC model "Elegance" version with thermal break 3 chambers, 4-20-4 Argon glazing from "Jeanneau", the texture of the PVC (lead-free treated) is such that it looks like very hard ceramic, nothing to do with joinery from Lapeyre or other brands

because profitability is pretty nil, around 40 years of return on investment, 20 years if the fuel goes to 2 € / L :D
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
sam beckett
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by sam beckett » 28/04/08, 11:12

bham wrote:Hi sam, I made the same choice of windows as you, but not from the same manufacturer.
Your questions are relevant, I could not answer them completely; I opted for larch wood, you probably for oak (Minco mainly makes oak). For glues I don't know but ask for info at Minco; Since these windows are high-end, they must be able to inform you, in any case to be attentive to the client.
For stains, I was told that now only water-based products were allowed: to check of course.
For my part I opted for Austrian windows and knowing their ecological fiber in this country, I do not have too much concern.

I opted for beech ... easier to integrate into the decor, and less rustic than oak.
what brand of window did you choose?

Capt_Maloche wrote:Hello,

I do not think that fungicide type stain treatments are harmful in the atmosphere

the stains are in addition to the i / f treatment.

Capt_Maloche wrote:because profitability is pretty nil, around 40 years of return on investment, 20 years if the fuel goes to 2 € / L :D

It is true that this is one of the points that makes me hesitate a lot ...
change wooden windows, still in good condition, and put a big budget in new ones ... :?
there will of course be a gain in energy saving and comfort, but I don't know how to calculate the return on investment, which indeed must be low ...
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 28/04/08, 19:25

sam beckett wrote: what brand of window did you choose?

Internorm with triple glazing.

sam beckett wrote:
Capt_Maloche wrote:because profitability is pretty nil, around 40 years of return on investment, 20 years if the fuel goes to 2 € / L :D

It is true that this is one of the points that makes me hesitate a lot ...
change wooden windows, still in good condition, and put a big budget in new ones ... :?
there will of course be a gain in energy saving and comfort, but I don't know how to calculate the return on investment, which indeed must be low ...

Well then Capt you finally changed your mind, you changed them :D .
For my part it is to replace very old rotten wooden windows and creation of openings, so no hesitation. Otherwise, the profitability side is important but having cold and humid areas because of the windows is not great either; and then protecting yourself from external noise can also be important, without this being part of the profitability calculation.
0 x

Go back to "Real estate and eco-construction: diagnostics, HQE, HPE, bioclimatism, natural habitat and climatic architecture"