Rammed earth construction

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
Kyos
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Rammed earth construction

by Kyos » 30/10/07, 19:00

Hello

Are you aware of a personal construction of an adobe house?

Thank you
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/10/07, 22:14

For those like me who don't know what adobe is: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pis%C3%A9
0 x
Kyos
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Kyos » 31/10/07, 11:03

Hello

Indeed, I should have clarified that the adobe is almost only earth. The definition given by Wikipedia:
Rammed earth is a monolithic construction system made of raw earth compacted in a formwork (layering).
Rammed earth is also found under the name of "raw earth".

To speak only of France, there are many farmhouses built in adobe in the Dauphiné in particular, farms dating back several centuries and still in excellent condition. I also deplore that often, the photos which are presented in illustration of various articles show houses in poor condition, even almost ruined, while there are many examples of constructions in excellent condition.

A few years ago, a construction program for a district of individual adobe houses was carried out at Isle d'Abeau (Isère). In this complex, a 5-storey tower was built in adobe.

This material has been and is still used in all parts of the world. For example, Shibam (Yemen), built in the 15th century, is a skyscraper city still inhabited and active today (http://www.chris-kutschera.com/Shibam.htm).

In addition to its thermal and sound insulation qualities, this material can most often be found on site and free of charge. Its implementation requiring a lot of manpower, it seems to me that this construction technique could be inspired by ancient times (not so ancient, it was still practiced before the last war), where a whole village was mobilizing to build an adobe house. I remember a reading in which such a process was told: the village built adobe walls and the framework offered by the family for a wedding. I know, the approach may seem uthopic, but it could find takers in beaver-type associations.

Here are some references that will allow you to know a little more about this material and this construction technique;
http://www.inti.be/ecotopie/pise.html
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terre_crue
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 31/10/07, 12:21

Bonjour à tous

Can not resist the pleasure of sharing with you these images of Moroccan Kasba in adobe. Most are from the village of Ait Ben Adou and are several centuries old. With a hell of a dodger outside, it's "good" inside.

A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 31/10/07, 13:37

Didoui is beautiful ... it looks like a sandcastle competition (1/1 scale) !!
0 x
Kyos
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Kyos » 02/11/07, 10:10

Yes magnificent.

This illustrates what can be done in adobe. Even if it's in Morocco ... and if there is already some time ...

I would also like to have info on adobe in France and now : Wink: . But also on any approach to vernacular construction, both in the Latin and French sense (see definitions http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/vernaculaire. In adobe, if possible.

Goods.
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 02/11/07, 10:35

No, I have no knowledge of a recent adobe house, and yet I live in front of Bresse, whether it is the department of Ain or Saône et Loire, adobe farms are not lacking, but they are old and often in poor condition.

That said, that doesn't mean there aren't any.

A small link on the topic. (even if it's in Germany :? )
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
Kyos
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Kyos » 07/11/07, 16:42

Hello

Here is here an example of relatively recent earthen construction (still around the beginning of the 80s).

The document presents the entire project, that is 46 terraced houses, divided into 10 blocks. According to the islands, the implementation of the earth material is declined in several ways: rammed earth (a majority), bricks of raw earth, rammed earth with wooden frame, earth / straw.

The document (62 pages in Word) is downloadable. It exposes the entire project, from calls for tenders to completion. It shows the totality of a rational and modern approach to earth construction.

My only regret is not to find similar documents concerning self-construction.

PS: the approach presented concerns a major project within the framework of local institutions (public housing, communities, etc.) for a call for tenders. This justifies its heaviness. No doubt an individual approach will be lighter :| .
0 x
Arnaud M
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Arnaud M » 21/07/12, 22:34

The only problem with the rammed earth is the roof water leaks which melt the wall under the leak in a few months.

For temporary floods it resists well, often besides the seat is made of round stones and lime with waste round tiles incorporated, super resistant as a wall (given the difficulty we had to demolish it). The adobe on the other hand a happiness to fall ...
0 x
jean.caissepas
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by jean.caissepas » 22/07/12, 13:04

Arnaud M wrote:The only problem with the rammed earth is the roof water leaks which melt the wall under the leak in a few months.

For temporary floods it resists well, often besides the seat is made of round stones and lime with waste round tiles incorporated, super resistant as a wall (given the difficulty we had to demolish it). The adobe on the other hand a happiness to fall ...

I confirm this, the rammed earth supports the rain laterally, but not from the top because the humidity penetrates deeply and "rots" the bound. On the side of the walls, the wind and the sun quickly dry the adobe which becomes hard again (because it contains clay).
My parents live in an old 1890 adobe farm, which remains in very good condition.
strangely, this house has been plastered on all sides, except to the north.
So it seems that the plaster (old) maintained too much humidity on the north face, and that is why my ancestors did not do it, or when they no longer had enough money to plaster all sides of the house.
construction work lasted 4 years for the whole farm, including more than a year for the dwelling house. Raw material extracted on site (wood and earth).
70cm above ground "concrete" foundations (more than 2m below ground because cellar buried under the house to store wine production.
the windows and the exterior door are surrounded by 4 blocks of stones to retain the adobe.
The walls are 70cm thick at the bottom, and 45-50cm at the top (8m).
They were made in layers of about 140cm, separated by mortar.
Inside, wooden floors and stairs (oak).
This house is located in Nord-Isère which contains many of this type of house, because the earth is clay-limestone and there are very few large stones to build houses.
A cool house in summer because of the great thermal inertia linked to the thickness of the walls and the adobe.

At Isle d'Abeau, a housing estate was built in adobe over 10 years ago, as an experiment on less energy-consuming houses.

I can provide photos of my parents' adobe buildings if certain people are interested.
0 x
Past habits must change,
because the future must not die.