West orientation house: too cold or too hot?

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
florimuch43
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

West orientation house: too cold or too hot?

by florimuch43 » 28/05/07, 20:27

Hello,

we want to build a wooden house. We plan to put bay windows or large opening on the side of the beautiful view but this one to the west .. We are afraid for heat summer ... Is there a solution for that we enjoy the view without having the inconveniences;
Thank you : Lol:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/05/07, 20:43

We are in the same case: a window full West and for the moment we do not complain about the heat ... after good it will depend on what region you are ...

It is always more econological to put a blind in summer (and possibly to open the windows judiciously placed to create a "solar" ventilation) than not to benefit from direct solar contributions and therefore to have to heat more in winter because of a badly oriented window.

All houses should now be built with a minimum of solar input depending on the architecture and orientation.
0 x
bolton069
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bolton069 » 29/05/07, 12:51

Well it requires reflection, but know that:

o It is better to avoid windows in the West: all glazed surfaces of a house except those facing south have a negative overall thermal balance !! (heat leak) : Shock:

o For all windows, a sunscreen is welcome (fixed or not), just to protect from the sun in summer, but not in winter. (The sun is lower at this time, it goes under a properly made protection.) : Idea:

o If you can not absolutely avoid windows in the south, avoid placing materials, having a lot of thermal inertia opposite (brick wall, stones, and stone floor for example), they would store the heat in the evening to redistribute it at night, preventing the refreshment of the house during the night. You would go in an oven in the morning. : Idea:

Otherwise, I guess if you're at this level of environmental sensitivity, you'll take a good, well-informed architect who will tell you all that and much more than I do.

@+
: Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/05/07, 13:14

I do not agree too much with your 1er and 3ieme point Bolton ...

1) For a window oriented full West I'm not sure that the balance sheet is not positive in winter (sun shaving) if you have sources I want :)

3) If the house is well designed, by opening a simple window, you can create a natural ventilation that would pump the calories of this wall. It is also the principle of the solar wall (very little known) that to store a portion of the radiation in a high thermal capacity material.

Your point 2) is therefore in my opinion the only good compromise: put awnings orientable to be able to take advantage of solar gains in winter ...

ps: as there is a duplicate on this subject, I propose that we continue here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/maison-et- ... t3667.html
0 x