Aerated concrete

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
gespoi
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Aerated concrete

by gespoi » 04/10/06, 21:04

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I have a question.
I want to build a house and I am moving towards cellular concrete in 30 cm minimum thickness.
What do you think of it in terms of insulation and breathability?
Thank you for your help.
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 04/10/06, 22:30

breathability?
I don't quite understand what you mean by that.
I worked 10 years in a cellular concrete factory and I have nothing to report abnormal.
In Alsace, many have replaced the mud of half-timbered houses with this product. It is much better for the bronchi than having mineral wool dust in the house.
0 x
gespoi
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by gespoi » 04/10/06, 22:35

I misspoke, I wanted to talk about the breathability of the material for the evacuation of water vapor contained in the house for example
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 05/10/06, 10:16

http://www.cerib.com/frontoffice/page.p ... d_certif=3

permeability is not a normal feature for a wall. It would rather be the opposite!
We only try to prevent the wall from deteriorating due to humidity that would be trapped there.
For this, we put a layer much more impermeable than the material on the inside (hot and humid), and we plan the evacuation on the outside, either by an air film or by a plaster permeable to steam.
Let's not exaggerate the problem either, even minimal ventilation is usually enough. The only time when I was confronted with notable effects, one felt the humidity while entering the housing. The occupant had a baby and dried 2 to 3 detergents a week in the living room, and the accommodation had fairly little natural convection ventilation. If she had just hung her laundry in the bathroom, I don't think there would have been anything.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 05/10/06, 10:24

Indeed, the main thing is to prevent moisture inside the house from entering the walls. Siporex (or other brands of aerated concrete) is both insulating (which prevents condensation) and impermeable. It is therefore an effective material.
0 x
jeromeb
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jeromeb » 21/01/08, 22:23

hello, it seems to me that these last two points of view emanate from people who do not know the traditional old products and who reason through dtu brought to satisfy the requirements of the manufacturers of materials and current standards.
their goal is to avoid the dew point. on a 40 adobe or honeycomb wall, I have never seen one.

this lack of breathability is so blatant that the establishment of vmc has become systematic; if still they were a double flow ...
the openings are more and more waterproof. we come to live in a submarine cut off from the outside world. Very healthy ...
as in our cars in which it is proven that the air is more stale than outside.

an adobe wall breathes, between the interior and the exterior, there are minimal exchanges of course, but they exist.
a kind of auto regulation.
the same for thermal regulation. which does not exist in concrete block.
the wall stores during the day to restore at night and vice versa.

Obviously if the users did not have a minimum during the day, if the premises are very small, in short if common sense is not followed, it gets stuck but this will also be the case for current materials. and worse.

many liken this principle to "goretex"
a classic modern house is a k-way.
a house with non-waterproof and breathable insulation is ideal.
but it is only a question of point of view.
like the house we are open to the outside or not !!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/01/08, 23:00

I agree with your Jerome analysis but when you say ...

jeromeb wrote:a house with non-waterproof and breathable insulation is ideal.

... this is the case with aerated concrete ... right?
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 21/01/08, 23:58

Christophe wrote:I agree with your Jerome analysis but when you say ...

jeromeb wrote:a house with non-waterproof and breathable insulation is ideal.

... this is the case with aerated concrete ... right?

If you don't stick a waterproof plaster to it like it is done in many modern houses ...
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/01/08, 00:04

Well ... for the others I do not know but with us it is a cladding of slates ... behind the slates the concrete is completely bare ... on the inside there are coatings (forcing). ..and I don't know how porous they are.

For plaster I know that there are special Ytong plasters because of the expansion, but their specificity is also perhaps on the porosity ...

In any case with us it is rather dry (less than 30% RH with wood stove at times) ...

ps: by the way, I was finally able to estimate the density of our ytong it is 450 or 500 kg / m3 (margin of error of the measurement, I had only small bits).
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 22/01/08, 08:47

As for rammed earth, it can not be considered as an insulator, unlike cellular concrete. By cons it stores well where its use in hot areas.
Then the law limits the height of earthen constructions.
0 x

Go back to "Real estate and eco-construction: diagnostics, HQE, HPE, bioclimatism, natural habitat and climatic architecture"