Pellets or Natural Gas in place of Fuel?

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
Sutra
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Pellets or Natural Gas in place of Fuel?

by Sutra » 30/05/06, 23:59

I live in a large old house very poorly insulated (double glazing would cost a fortune) currently with an old oil boiler totally oversized (65 kW instead of 35 kW required.) I have the choice between a pellet boiler (but there is the problem of maintenance and long-term pellet supply)
or the choice of a high-efficiency natural gas boiler (which I have). does anyone have an opinion to help me?
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 31/05/06, 09:53

Hello,

Without directly answering your question, I offer a link explaining how to make a glazing for much cheaper than replacing all your windows. You will find this explanation in the middle of the following page: http://www.onpeutlefaire.com/fichestech ... tisans.php

I also advise everyone to take a tour of this site which is teeming with ideas (they even talk about pantone !!!).

To answer your question more directly, I would say that both of them being fossil fuels, the interest is more or less the same. :|

Nevertheless you will undoubtedly have a higher output, more ease of supply (at least in the short term) and less handling with the gas boiler than with coal. On the other hand, the gas reserves are estimated to be around 40 years and its price is indexed to that of oil which is likely to increase it very quickly.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 31/05/06, 12:07

from an ecological point of view, I would say pellets by far. In addition, some boilers (a little more expensive) allow to burn either pellets, chips, and even cereals. Which becomes much easier in terms of supply and adaptation than natural gas.
When we have exhausted the natural gas deposits, we will always have the energies of vegetable origin. In addition, some say that the regular and organized cutting of certain trees allows the maintenance of forests, provided that they are replanted of course ...
And the price of gas will not cease to increase since more and more rare (// oil) while for the other energies (renewable), they will not cease decreasing.
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 31/05/06, 12:43

abyssin3 wrote:from an ecological point of view, I would say pellets by far.

And even economical ... for equal energy, pellets are about 2 times cheaper ... but for how long when we see the soaring prices of firewood?
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 31/05/06, 12:49

I still think there is a future for pellets.
There are still whole woods, with trees felled from the storm at the end of 99, which are rotting on the spot ... Brushing becomes compulsory in areas at risk of fire ... Sawdust ... There is something to keep a beautiful industry going, with a lot of manpower!
And this will be done, because a product which at the base does not cost much, once valued, the price will be multiplied by the profits of the shark sectors. So, chances are that it will succeed ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 31/05/06, 14:25

Oops ....
I just saw myself reading the posts that followed mine that I had confused "pellets" and "balls" (anthracite). It will teach me to read the threads better ...: Oops:

Under these conditions, it is clear that I am also for pellets.

I bitterly regret having installed a town gas boiler 5 years ago. My bills are increasing every year and ecologically, it is still far less good to burn fossil energy that crosses 2 continents to reach my home rather than burning wood from the corner ...
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 31/05/06, 14:46

Yes,

but we are all at the same point as you ......
If we had known .......
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 31/05/06, 14:50

To tell the truth, my spite is, of course, due to the rising bills, but especially to the fact that 5 years ago, I did not know the alternative heating systems.
Now, I have a boiler which, according to the professional who maintains it, will last 25 years without problems .... Will there still be gas to fuel it in 25 years ????
0 x
Sutra
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

What future for pellets?

by Sutra » 31/05/06, 19:08

Thanks for all the opinions! My great doubt, after having read a lot, relates to the security and the price of the supply of pellets ... Selling boilers is good, but how will the pellets develop? Read about this stripper notice, which shocked me enough, by going to:

http://www.itebe.org/portail/forum/disp ... Position=1
0 x
pluesy
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by pluesy » 31/05/06, 20:38

Targol wrote:Now, I have a boiler which, according to the professional who maintains it, will last 25 years without problems .... Will there still be gas to fuel it in 25 years ????

if there is more gas from petroleum your boiler you can feed it with methane (from the decomposition of plants) with hydrogen (from the decomposition of water via a mini solar or wind power plant) or via a pantone since the primary purpose of the pantone is to gasify the liquid fuels of rapeseed or beet alcohol, for example, there is no shortage of solutions ...
0 x

"There are only two infinite things, the universe and human stupidity ... but for the world, I have no absolute certainty."
[Albert Einstein]

Go back to "Real estate and eco-construction: diagnostics, HQE, HPE, bioclimatism, natural habitat and climatic architecture"