Daylight with the Solatube

Construction of natural or ecological habitat: plans, design, advice, expertise, materials, geobiology ... House, construction, heating, insulation: you have just received one or more quotes. Can't choose? State your problem here and we will advise you on the right choice! Help in reading DPE or environmental energy diagnostics. Help with the purchase or sale of real estate.
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 03/12/05, 13:02

Coming from Australia, the "Solatube": a dome on the roof captures daylight; it is transmitted in a large, well-reflecting tube through the attic, then redistributed to the ceiling of an interior room.

http://www.solatube.fr/
http://www.vilumine.com/
http://colipin.free.fr/

The reflective pipe is more basic than fiberglass technology for transporting light; it can be bulky in an attic; a chain of hypermarkets has adopted the system; this is valid in false ceilings of a large area, to save fluorescent.
In a house in the summer, I fear it will become a heat sink.

I think the roof sensor is of the "Fresnel lens" type, to recover indirect natural light; the distributor on the ceiling, an equivalent device to diffuse in all directions.

The “Fresnel mirror” technology on a flat surface will surely develop in the years to come. A large collection surface makes it possible to concentrate the sunlight, to direct it and concentrate it towards photovoltaic cells, occupying a smaller surface, and capable of operating at higher temperature.

Gegyx
0 x
minguinhirigue
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by minguinhirigue » 16/07/08, 22:13

The solatube, and other light-carrying devices by tunnel are as many light traps as thermal traps, unfortunately unfavorable in summer, as in winter it seems!

Indeed, when we look at the thermal specifications, it's particular openings have thermal performance equivalent to simple glazing, perhaps because of their long length of exchange with the indoor air. These effects are less damaging with fiber optic sensors ... But these are now overpriced ...

Do not hesitate to correct me ... I am only waiting for better performance on these attractive products ...
0 x
Eva
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Insulation:

by Eva » 12/09/08, 08:57

Hello everybody

About these solatubes, I would like to know what type of insulation should be used to insulate the duct passing through unheated attics. Do you have any information, feedback? Can there be a "heating" of the insulation when this one is pressed against the conduit of the tube?

Thanks in advance if you can help me,
0 x

Go back to "Real estate and eco-construction: diagnostics, HQE, HPE, bioclimatism, natural habitat and climatic architecture"