Cereal crisis: causes and consequences

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Cereal crisis: causes and consequences

by Christine » 21/04/08, 18:46

Several discussions opened simultaneously about the rise in the price of cereals, the difficulties of supply in developing countries, speculation, agrofuels etc, but in the background the subject is still the same.

So I have gathered here the most important posts to focus the debate.

martien007 wrote:it was in the show - tonight or never - with Jean Ziegler, Jacques Attali..etc; great debate, it starts with GMOs.

It is really worth watching

http://ce-soir-ou-jamais.france3.fr/index-fr.php?page=accueil
-----------------------------------------
this is the edition of Thursday, April 17.

http://jt.france3.fr/1920/index.php3?jt=3

Food crisis: what about the development of biofuel cultivation?
------------------------------------------
News from Wednesday April 16.

http://jt.france3.fr/1920/index.php3?jt=3

this is how speculators drive up the price of grain.

Remundo wrote:Hello Martian, hello everyone,

One did not have to be a fine strategist or a great visionary to realize 2 years ago that biofuels based on food plants are far from being a panacea and automatically generate a tension on the prices of foodstuffs. Their economic viability is on the other hand guaranteed as long as there is no other way of producing hydrocarbons properly ...

That said, they are still very underdeveloped and occupy less than 5% of cultivated land worldwide. Fortunately! But in the USA, the movement is accelerating ...

Biofuels are not directly responsible for the rise in prices. They simply add a drop of water that overflows the vase.

Those responsible for the rise in prices are all the developed states which:
- on the one hand have never seriously prepared the peak oil
- on the other hand, have never helped and properly developed agriculture in poor countries.

To speak more technical, the future of biofuels is the cultivation of non-food plants, preferably by the sea to leave arable land with wheat and corn ... There is also the giant Miscanthus ... N is it not Christophe?

And the future of fuels in short is to produce them from renewable energies such as solar by various means: hydrolysis, thermolysis of biomass ...

But all that, no report says it, the journalists prefer to wade in the present moment and the blinded blindness without any vision or reflection of long term. :| And it's so much easier and more interesting to investigate Kosciusko-Morizet on his mood swings with Borloo and GMOs : Evil:

Finally, nothing new under the sun! : Idea:

oliburn wrote:it is better to be rich, fat and healthy than poor, lean
and sick ... Haitians, Africans or others ...

It will bleed !!! Twisted Evil

PS: by the time you read this little post 3 human beings are
die of hunger......????

Christine wrote:Copy of an image posted a few days ago by Flytox in the "humor" category :|

freddau wrote:

what should already be done is to reduce the consumption of meat.
According to Jean Ziegler, it takes 1/5 of the cereals.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 21/04/08, 19:07

You did well Christine! 8)

For Freddau
Reduce the consumption of meat ... Hmm ... that's a brilliant idea! : Cheesy:

I like meat and I don't want to play vegetarian. Agriculture in poor countries must be developed ...

Maybe also regulate their birth even if saying that is sometimes not politically correct ...

And also to massively develop the production of hydrocarbons or other fuels and electricity in renewable form. I'm thinking of solar, if only photovoltaic, in areas like Africa ... Oh, by the way, that would "slash" their economy a little and allow their education and development ...

But we could also completely hybridize the car fleet and reduce urban fuel consumption by more than 75% ...

Frankly, the solutions are there, but it is much more difficult to apply them than to conceive them, human nature is thus made :frown:
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 21/04/08, 19:21

Remundo wrote:You did well Christine! 8)

Thank you

Remundo wrote:I like meat and I don't want to play vegetarian. Agriculture in poor countries must be developed ...

Maybe also regulate their birth even if saying that is sometimes not politically correct ...

Evil spirits would infer that it is more comfortable to impose a birth quota on "underdeveloped pov 'piti" than to give up a small piece of your beefsteak. But these are just evil spirits and nature is made like that, right? : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 21/04/08, 19:45

Ah Christine, I find your "text erasure" a bit limited ... And your deduction is very teasing :D
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 21/04/08, 19:51

Remundo wrote:Ah Christine, I find your "text erasure" a bit limited ... And your deduction is very teasing :D

Certainly, but the two ideas do follow each other in the text and are presented as complementary; I could not fail to note the reconciliation 8) .
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 21/04/08, 20:05

And you think that this biased reconciliation is the main meaning of my message ........ Ah there :P

To return seriously, just because people eat meat does not mean that people in other countries are starving. This is because they live in generally not very fertile areas, but also because they have no technological or agricultural development, and also because they make an average of 5 or 6 children per woman while he is impossible to feed decently 1 or 2.

think that the problem of famines in the 1/3 world comes from Westerners with their cows which supposedly "waste grain" and "heat the climate by farting" is a creeping guilt that obscures the essence of the problem and also the essence of the solutions.
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 21/04/08, 20:23

er ... I don't know if that has changed, but there was still a short time we lived in country (see a community of countries) which overproduced.
When this happened the surplus was destroyed, rather than sending it to countries that were starving ...

So as long as this policy does not change, whether we screw up our agriculture in our engines or destroy everything, I do not really see what it changes ...

On the other hand, it does not seem to me that wheat and corn are particularly used in France to make biofuels ...

Rather, it is rapeseed and beet ...

In short, when we produce rapeseed we don't produce wheat, but hey ... Although ... considering the height of rapeseed at this time, it may be possible to chain on wheat behind .. .
Indeed, rapeseed and beet, it is not what is best for fuel, but in small quantities it always seems less worse than oil.

Once again, all of this only makes sense as long as our countries do not change their policy towards countries that are dying of hunger.

Now isn't this idea that a liter of biofuel is 50 meals less for those who are hungry, not an argument sneaked in by our dear oil lobby?

SixK
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 21/04/08, 20:56

Good idea Christine, but do not censor in passing Remundo !! : Shock:

By the way, I think our cattle eat GMO soybean meal from America (I don't know if it's North and / or South but it's GMO: read in a recent post I don't know who, can you find it?).

So we can deduce that by eating meat we eat GMOs ... voilou : Lol:
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 21/04/08, 21:53

In my opinion, we should see the film "We feed the world" which explains that soybeans are exploited in Argentina, Brazil to fatten the cattle of the North by whole cargo.

Jean Ziegler, who knows what he is saying, gave, if I am not mistaken, that out of 2 billion tonnes of cereals, 400 million went for animal feed (beef and others).

So there is still room. And then it makes it possible to make a shorter circuit .... we avoid transporting cereals and then transporting oxen, pig cow calf to the consumer, there we would deliver directly to the consumer and if necessary in more quantity important while saving on oil and CO2.

And as for the birth rate of the third world, it leaves a bit of a thinker when you think that Argentina has a density much lower than France but exports soy ... and we can also talk about Congo or I think that the area can be widely used
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 21/04/08, 23:07

Exact freddau agree with you.

And if there were only these aberrations : Shock:

The world is marching on its head, all well managed by our dear political and industrial leaders who are going to the point of excavation to burst their stomachs too full after letting their human brothers die .... and that should not prevent them to go to church on Sunday to get a good conscience.

What sad humanity !! while we would have everything we need to SHARE with our brothers (well I am not from here but I live there :? ).
0 x