The problems of GMOs, a debate to listen

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Toine
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

The problems of GMOs, a debate to listen

by Toine » 15/12/06, 15:50

Hello

Daniel Mermet discusses the subject with Christian Vellot
in the program "Là-bas si je y suis" on france inter.
To listen to the program again:

http://www.la-bas.org/article.php3?id_article=1059 (edited by Christophe; direct link)

In fact, what are the views of econologists on the subject?
0 x
antoinet111
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by antoinet111 » 15/12/06, 16:02

hi t super fast the broadcast is not yet in pod cast.
GMOs are not very welcome in the forum, and few are in favor. unfortunately could almost say. because it does not open the debate.

and by saying that I know that I am risking this opening.

and no i'm not a troll lol.
0 x
I vote for the writing of concrete post and practicality.
Down the talkers and ceiling fans!
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 15/12/06, 16:30

As strange as it may seem, I am FOR GMOs. but under certain non-negotiable conditions:

• First, these changes must be aimed at improving the lot of mankind, not that of the wallets of a few morons so stuffed with cash that they would be unable to spend it all. Monsanto's "Terminator" gene is a prime example of genetic manipulation that should be banned.
  • These GMOs must be studied and cultivated in CONTAINED ENVIRONMENT and not planted in the open field, silently, to the detriment of all the surrounding cultures and without any precaution.
  • Tests carried out by laboratories self-employed should be done long-term to verify the real safety of these organisms throughout the food chain. As a reminder, it is currently the companies behind these organizations that carry out the tests used as a basis for marketing authorization.

In short, I am for GMOs, but not as they are made in France. This is also why I support "voluntary GMO mowers".
Last edited by Targol the 15 / 12 / 06, 17: 23, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Toine
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Toine » 15/12/06, 17:02

I would agree with you, Targol.

But I think the fate of humanity has no need
of them, that if we organize ourselves well and differently we can
achieve very good results in the food sector.
I can say following an experience in agriculture (bio-dynamic)
that the earth can be very nourishing.

I am also for "science to advance", so if they want
have fun, then, no worries but confined, controlled, clearly
publicized, etc.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 15/12/06, 17:17

Targol wrote:As strange as it may seem, I am FOR GMOs. but to certain non-negotiable terms:
  • First, these changes must be aimed at improving the lot of mankind, not that of the wallets of a few morons so stuffed with cash that they would be unable to spend it all. Monsanto's "Terminator" gene is a prime example of genetic manipulation that should be banned.
  • These GMOs must be studied and cultivated in CONTAINED ENVIRONMENT and not planted in the open field, silently, to the detriment of all the surrounding cultures and without any precaution.
  • Tests carried out by laboratories self-employed should be done long-term to verify the real safety of these organisms throughout the food chain. As a reminder, it is currently the companies behind these organizations that carry out the tests used as a basis for marketing authorization.
In short, I am for GMOs, but not as they are made in France. This is also why I support "voluntary GMO mowers".

+1
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 15/12/06, 17:20

Toine wrote:I would agree with you, Targol.

Thank you it's a pleasure : Lol:
Toine wrote: But I think the fate of humanity has no need
of them, that if we organize ourselves well and differently we can
achieve very good results in the food sector.
I can say following an experience in agriculture (bio-dynamic)
that the earth can be very nourishing.

Yes, I was not clear enough on this. I am also a supporter of bio-dynamics and any other type of culture based on natural mechanisms and ancestral knowledge rather than on scientific "recipes" which, in the field of agriculture, have above all an added value. for their suppliers, possibly to a lesser extent, for the farmer, but certainly not for the environment or the consumer.

When I spoke of "improving the lot of humanity" I was rather thinking of studies on GMOs for therapeutic purposes.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
hug
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Contradiction

by hug » 15/12/06, 17:22

What is crazy is that on the one hand, France condemns the reapers
http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,1-0 ... 591,0.html

while she herself is condemned the European Union for not having applied European law

I admit that I don't understand what the objective is.
0 x
The only renewable energy is energy saving.
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Contradiction

by Targol » 15/12/06, 17:32

hug wrote:What is crazy is that on the one hand, France condemns the reapers

while she herself is condemned the European Union for not having applied European law

I admit that I don't understand what the objective is.

Without wanting to abound in the sense of the conspiracy theory, I would say that it is a question of financial interests.
The most lamentable in this story is that while 80% of French people are against GMOs in the open fields, it is our taxes that pay:
  • The gendarmes who protect the GMO fields against mowers,
  • the salary of magistrates for those who go to trial,
  • possible imprisonment costs,
  • and, finally, do you think that the fine imposed on France will be paid by the big seed companies or the growers who decided to make GMO ???? : Evil:

There are like that in France, some subjects where the governors do anything to thank the financiers who financed their campaigns to the detriment of the people (nuclear, GMO, CPE, ...). The people, however, only enter the process to pay off the bad things. : Evil: : Evil: : Evil: : Evil:
0 x
Toine
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Toine » 15/12/06, 17:43

Sure !

And luckily the reapers are non-violent

because some pushed to the end by foutage of mouth like
this one could be.
0 x
antoinet111
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by antoinet111 » 18/12/06, 10:01

The most lamentable in this story is that while 80% of French people are against GMOs in the open fields, it is our taxes that pay:

and J bové’s food when he’s in jail. lol

All this is interesting, people who are for GMOs, suddenly we feel less alone, I am a breeder of varieties, so GMOs I know a little.

Targol you are right to ask for application conditions, but choose plants that are not capable of controlling themselves in nature alone. ex: corn, who can tell me what it multiplies in the wild, quedalle, then, it is not the most serious, whereas if you test GMOs with rapeseed then c something else, it keeps itself, and spreads to other plants (rapeseed, mustard, capsella, .......) the list is large, as a reminder rapeseed is a NATURAL cross, between cabbage and shuttle (c confused with turnip).

we need a little more thought for the sick, to little Chinese with vision problems, ... (golden rice improving vitamin A levels),

and then the BT, c natural, we invented nothing, it still avoids putting lots of pesticides, it is expensive and c not good for health.
Last edited by antoinet111 the 18 / 12 / 06, 10: 27, 1 edited once.
0 x
I vote for the writing of concrete post and practicality.

Down the talkers and ceiling fans!