Pollution of plastics in everyday life

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Pollution of plastics in everyday life

by Grelinette » 10/06/18, 18:39

Hello everybody

I open this debate which is a little duplicate with others on the same subject (pollution by plastics) but the goal is,
- on the one hand to insist still on the subject,
- and on the other hand, to try to find another way than to continually denounce this type of scourge by raising the arms to the sky and uttering screams of ostracies to announce the imminent end World of humanity !

Since a few days the announcements rain to alert us even more on this pollution that nothing stops:

The Mediterranean suffering from plastic pollution: the alarming WWF report
Plastic pollution: "Everyone can act", says Isabelle Autissier
Five alarming figures on plastic pollution in the world

Etc., etc, …

A google search for the latest ads on this topic gives this: pollution-by-the-plastics

... and we've been talking about this for a few years now 7.th continent made of plastic micro-waste that could become as big as Europe, and derives and moves banally into our daily media environment such as globalization, the TAFTA treaty or terrorism.

So here is the decor!

And now here are facts that I can see at my level and for which I seek your help:

- At this moment, all the municipal road maintenance services are clearing the side of roads: the cutters effectively cut and grind the grass growing in ditches and roadsides, and I am surprised to find that very often the rakes do their job while the ditches have not been cleaned!

Everything happens: plastic bags, bottles, broken bumpers, pieces of broken tires and other plastic accessories from cars are transformed into micro-particles of plastics that will integrate into the soil do not know yet where they will come out.
It is not the 7.th continent that we prepare and we do not eat (yet) earthworms, but we are probably preparing a subsoil saturated with microparticles of plastics that we will probably find in our vegetables.

Curiously, we are captivated and passionate about marine plastics but not about earthly plastics!

- And here is another phenomenon that I am currently working on:
I currently manage a team of workers in green spaces, and we carry out interviews of public green spaces in a municipality in the PACA region. We intervene mainly to maintain the green spaces of a huge student campus, and it is therefore young graduates who use these spaces (Bac + 5, or more).

The state of pollution of the spaces of these faculties has nothing to envy to the 7.th continent: plastic cups, packaging, straws, cakes, butts, cigarette packs, etc., etc., etc. (and I'm not talking about the other "accessories" of intimate student life that we find between 2 isolated bushes ... (used condoms ... not to mention them! : Shock: )

We hear so much that we are going to leave a polluted planet to our children, that they should not go into it!

In short, this is my request: I want to make a poster to raise awareness of this young population and make them aware of the pollution for which it is responsible.

Clearly, placards likePlease use the bins at your disposal"Stuck on beverage machines, candies and sweets or bins do not have much effect.
So I thought of a poster more "percussive" and informative (they are students, they are there to learn) that explains the pollution by plastics and its consequences.

It's not about doing what you do with cigarette packs, but if you have ideas and the subject inspires you, and your creativity is fertile, I'm interested.

A grand goods.
1 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Daily plastic pollution

by Leo Maximus » 10/06/18, 19:14

The packaging market is 23 billion euros a year in France. And it's a growing market.

Packaging market.jpg
Packaging Market.jpg (17.39 KIO) Viewed 4749 times

It is the consumer who pays the packaging, very expensive, but he is not aware of it most of the time (especially among students ... : Lol: ). In any case, as parents often pay, it is primarily up to them to make a prevention effort by informing the children.

Not easy to make them understand that the products are made, above all, to be sold before serving something, (maybe?) And that it is also the consumer who pays the advertisement by buying the product.
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 10/06/18, 21:09

While the packaging market is very juicy and its price is drowned in the price of the product purchased, but this is not the issue that concerns me.

The real question is what (s) argument (s) can make consumers, especially young people, aware that even the slightest plastic discarded on the ground, even as small as a cellophane pack of cigarettes or a pack of chewing gum will inevitably pollute the earth for hundreds of years and the accumulation of these scraps of pollution will end up in huge volumes and pose new problems in a more or less near future.

Another question more related to human psychology: why most people (in this case in my example students) reflexively throw their personal rubbish on the ground at their foot while there is a trash a few meters away? ...
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 11/06/18, 08:17

There is an international environmental education program. It dates from 1986 (32 years!). All the signatory countries are supposed to apply it but the result is almost nil: http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0007/0 ... 1487fo.pdf

We behave like the Titanic orchestra: we act as if nothing had happened while the boat is dark. The situation is extremely serious but doing nothing creates a sense of security. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchestre_du_Titanic.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/06/18, 08:55

How to hope for virtuous behavior on minor points, when it is the entire current functioning of human society that is the cause? The basis of the economy is the waste and destruction of natural resources, therefore, how could a policy of "small gestures" be anything other than a decoy, a device to camouflage reality?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 11/06/18, 10:23

Ahmed wrote:How can one expect virtuous behavior on minor points when it is the whole of the current functioning of human society that is causing it?

Human society is the sum of 7,5 billions of individualities. It is not totally illusory to expect a change in behavior of each individual.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/06/18, 14:02

The totality being greater than the sum of the parts, a radical change of the determinisms in work can not result from the weak influence of each one.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 11/06/18, 15:55

Ahmed wrote:The totality being greater than the sum of the parts, a radical change of the determinisms in work can not result from the weak influence of each one.

There are 3 answers (solutions) to this observation:

- the first is the Hummingbird metaphor, dear to Pierre Rabhi. This little bird who tried in vain to extinguish a fire with the few drops carried in its beak: "Even if the task seems impracticable, everyone must take their part, and if everyone takes their part, the task will be carried out" .

- the second is the theory of critical mass : when 2 blocks are opposed, it is the one who ends up having the largest mass that ends up imposing his will. In other words, the more we will react, the more our mass will (maybe) tip the scales on the right side!

- and the third, when everything will be destroyed, broken, polluted, if we are still alive, we will have to put ourselves in it to rebuild everything, and it will be a long and difficult work, as much to start now ...

Grelinette, the small hummingbird of econology : Cheesy:
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 11/06/18, 16:39

I have an idea ! :P

I will make a poster that I will ask in strategic places! (at the cafet, on drinks machines, in picnic areas, etc.).

It will be a test of knowledge type QCM. For students I think it's good!

Here is a first draft:

The POLLU-TEST

Dear student (s)

Can you take 1 mn to answer this test while you drink your coffee while nibbling your little biscuit:

- What is the 7.th Continent?
<> A continent made of plastics <> An interplanetary continent <> A film by Luc Besson

- What is the amount of plastics produced on Earth each year?
<> 1000 Tons <> 300 Million Tonnes <> More <> Less <> I don't care, when you love you don't count

- Which of these objects pollutes the most:
<> Straws <> Cups <> Bags <> Wrappers <> Chewing gum stuck under the tables

- What is the most polluted sea on the Earth?
<> The English Channel <> The Mediterranean Sea <> The Dead Sea <> The Baltic Sea <> The Michel Sea

- At the speed of pollution, how long will our planet be unlivable?
<> 10 years <> 100 years <> 1000 years <> It's already difficult to live there

- How many kg of plastics does each French average throw in the wild in 1 year?
<> 100 kg <> more <> less <> it depends if it also counts what we throw in the street

- How many meters away is the trash bin closest to you?
<> Less than 10 meters <> More than 10 meters <> A trash can ... where that? <> What is a trash can?

- How long would it take you to throw your trash in the nearest trash?
<> Nothing, I will throw them in passing <> That is to say that I have classes there ... <> Pfffff ....

Nature thanks you for the time you spent answering this general culture test. Remember to throw your trash in the first trash you will come across.

What do you think ? : Cheesy:
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 11/06/18, 17:17

Yes very good idea your MCQ.
For a visual part, I think of the images of Chris Jordan that you could divert or integrate into your MCQ:
albatros1.jpg
albatross1.jpg (223.41 KIO) Accessed 4642 times
0 x