New kitchen garden lazy (Schiltigheim 67300)

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Max67300
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

New kitchen garden lazy (Schiltigheim 67300)

by Max67300 » 25/05/18, 11:08

Hello,

I introduce myself Maximilian. Since this month of March I try to set up the cultivation without plowing and therefore under cover of hay (after reading and watching the videos of the lazy garden chain, I even ask for advice to this man in very kindly answered and I thank him) I explain the situation:

March 23, reception of my hay bales, I cover (at 20 cm, pack well and leave in place) from the cover it is a little more compact with time, but there are still quite a few ... Since then I started in the transplanting of my plants that I had carefully pampered and made grow and since ... THE DRAMA every time it's the same thing I come back the next day and nothing ... slugs, snails we literally eat everything during the night ... I managed to preserve some zucchini as best I could by spanking a larger opening in the hay and with a few granules (organic) but there are still attacks ... I pick up slugs every morning and during the day under the hay, I try to do the best ... I really wonder why it does not "work" at home and I have so many slugs etc ... Yet the attacks on tomatoes in outside and in the greenhouse it is reduced ...

- Too much coverage so a good playground for slugs (so I should mulch earlier in November)
- That's too much rain this year and I'm not the only one ...
- Either things are not yet in place for slug predators and over time there will be less or miracle at all ...
- Evening I wait a little longer for the return of hot weather and she will have disappeared (even if under the hay there is a shelter)

In short, I really wonder that I am 100% convinced of the methods and benefits and we can see it already at home, the land is more flexible, no regrowth etc ... But the technique still requires some time to be set up etc ... What is normal ... I believe in this, but I really wonder about the slugs concern that I think are in many conditions under the hay ...

I replant this very day 3 beautiful cucumber plants (we'll see tomorrow) but I think that if it still goes bad and all my plants are still eat I would not try again or the other way ... Just waste when the vegetables are developer and leave in place for the winter cover (my father does this and the results are too ...

I believe in the method hard as iron, even if everyone takes me for a fool with my hay, but many times what works for some does not work for others .... What is on it that even if I come back to the conventional nothing comes back in my garden in terms of products etc ... But I would like to do even more and more bio so I cross my fingers to make it work ...

Thank you for your help
3 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: New kitchen garden lazy (Schiltigheim 67300)

by denis17 » 25/05/18, 13:09

Second year in phenoculture for me, last year, very can slugs, against this year, since 3 days, I pick up about 40aine a day by making a passage morning and evening, I lost a third of my plans, replaced immediately. Here in the 17 it's raining today, so we'll see tonight. I think that leaving room without hay with plants can help, at least better see them.
I think the mild, wet climate of this winter helps, and certainly the hay cover is also for something. A set that helps the proliferation of unwanted individuals.
Finally, I do not treat.
Denis
1 x
guibnd
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by guibnd » 25/05/18, 13:22

hello max, welcome among us!

yes slugs ... what a calamity!
but with or without hay, when it's a sluggish year ... it's a sluggish year!

once, when I was gardening without hay, I also had rotten years in the kitchen garden because of slugs.
a year, the tiny black slugs attacked my onions and shallots : Shock: never seen ! and yet at the time, I put no hay ...
What I do: Well, I run after the night after my job with my pickle pliers because I hate to touch those slimy beasts : Mrgreen:
and also, I do more plants to predict the damage and replace the dead : Lol:
1 x
Twandering with clayey and fertile wheat, full of water in winter, cold in spring, crushed and cracked in summer,
but that was before the Didite ...
Max67300
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Max67300 » 25/05/18, 15:22

Hello,

Thanks to you for the answers, yes it must be a year of slugs, I try to comfort myself as best I can ... I will wait another 2 weeks for it to warm up while waiting to plant my last plants ... Afterwards I would not have any more and it will be a "zero" year finally I have tomatoes and other vegetables that I have saved ...

I also remove a little hay to leave 5cm which is in my opinion the thickness after yesterday under the layer of 20 cm hay ... In short we will see if I try again next year (to see depending on experience and climate ...) I believe in this method and it has already proven itself at home, although many slugs and snails soil is already better I think.

I can not fight against nature, I try to pick up in the morning, but in the evening I go rarely (my garden is at 20 min home so I can not always go there. ..)

Thanks for your advices...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 25/05/18, 22:16

for slugs it remains ferramol, no risk, it is recommended by Didier
the fight by picking up, and do not transplant until after a good week of ferramol, just to try to get rid of a little world
at home I gather a few in the morning and in the evening, my cabbages start to look like lace, but they have not yet rocked the heart
this year I accumulate the errors, but basically the method works, that I can tell you, do not remove hay is not the thickness that is involved, I always add to the fur and as you go
after we are not in June, so patience there is still time : Mrgreen:
wanting to be too hurried, my potatoes froze :(
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 25/05/18, 22:23

There is a thread on slugs.

I have a lot this year and especially, it seems not wanting to dry up!

But the strategy of "diversion", to feed them with wilted milkweeds or scraps of old winter lettuce which are now blooming works rather well ... At 90% I find them there, which has the advantage that they do not damage while waiting for me to arrive to pick them up ... See the photos on the special thread: Agriculture / slug-t15671.html

The thickness of the hay does not change anything. Hay is not food. It is a shelter, like a "plank" under which they take refuge, well sheltered from the sun, in a very humid place ... Moreover, often, not scraping 5 cm under the hay around the plants. more attacked, you find them sprawled there, waiting for the freshness and humidity of the evening.

For the reds / oranges, I am formal: they prefer faded laurent, or lettuce that starts to rot, to seedlings ... They prefer hay ...

I have not yet bought Ferramol, I would like to know if they prefer Ferramol or faded woolen sows ...
1 x
Max67300
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Max67300 » 26/05/18, 07:28

Thank you again for your answers, I will see this morning in the garden what I have left of my plants ... Yes we are not yet in June, I'm not hurry elsewhere that's what I told myself I think to wait another 2 weeks before planting the rest, because it will be very hot and I think that here with some pickup and heat the population will decrease finally I hope ... I am unfortunately not lucky to have the garden at home so to make more frequent pickups it's difficult and I'm posted at night for the next weeks so it's really hard to do well and well done, but I will try ... and I like the garden so I give everything I can and with the time I have ...

Thank you all for the answers, I will keep you informed and no I do not think of giving up the method immediately, all new things must put in place, with the errors and failures ... I believe in this practice and I 's seen the result is just that for slugs and junk is a good ecosystem and so it is not easy, but hey it is giving / giving we are good to nature and nature we the makes or sometimes hard times.

But we can confirm that 2018 is a beautiful slug year ...

Good day, thank you again.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 26/05/18, 08:28

Max67300 wrote:Thank you again for your answers, I will see this morning in the garden what I have left of my plants ... Yes we are not yet in June, I'm not hurry elsewhere that's what I told myself I think to wait another 2 weeks before planting the rest, because it will be very hot and I think that here with some pickup and heat the population will decrease finally I hope ... I am unfortunately not lucky to have the garden at home so to make more frequent pickups it's difficult and I'm posted at night for the next weeks so it's really hard to do well and well done, but I will try ... and I like the garden so I give everything I can and with the time I have ...

Thank you all for the answers, I will keep you informed and no I do not think of giving up the method immediately, all new things must put in place, with the errors and failures ... I believe in this practice and I 's seen the result is just that for slugs and junk is a good ecosystem and so it is not easy, but hey it is giving / giving we are good to nature and nature we the makes or sometimes hard times.

But we can confirm that 2018 is a beautiful slug year ...

Good day, thank you again.

digging or picking slugs you have to choose : Mrgreen:
it is true that in your situation, the slug is more difficult to overcome, me in one night a foot of celery root reduced to a few veins of feuiolles, it is annoying, it is a bit like a smoker in lack we would be almost to look for if it does not remain in a corner some blue granules ... (from before)
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Max67300
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Max67300 » 26/05/18, 16:15

Hello,

Good surprise of the day the cucumber plants plant yesterday we held !!! Luck ? Hazard ? Heat that scares the slugs or just a good handful of granules (BIO) to each plant ... for now it fits and I hope it will still hold and I can plant the rest soon! Good afternoon ! Thank you
0 x
Thouvenel
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Thouvenel » 26/05/18, 16:34

Years with and without years ...

For me it is the opposite, so do not draw conclusion last year during an invasion 10 days, several tomato plants chewed with an impact on production, attacked peppers and have given almost anything, onions covered three to four each snails at night, black slugs, gray everywhere on the hay ... the nightmare, impossible to pick everything up ... and then in favor of June and dry weather it calmed down suddenly ...

This year, many large orange slugs (rufus orion?) Quite visible, easy to spot, so they were collected before planting tomatoes, peppers, etc. and cucurbits.
On a week, a sharp decline in catches.
For now, the young shoots of a pepper eaten, a physalis diminished but that leaves, a head of tomato amochée.
Some leaves sketched here and there but without consequences, I do not complain!

An observation to be confirmed (see post Mona?): Hay spread, ring of ash and compost around two zucchini plants: no attack ... A week after I closed the hay, always zero attack.
Three feet of cucurbits under a tree, in the compost, quite dry place, zero attack, no slug visible at night ...
0 x