Soil quality

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
bernard19
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Soil quality

by bernard19 » 14/12/17, 14:26

Hello,
I have a question for you regarding the soil of my future vegetable patch.
After construction of a wall 2.80m high at the bottom of my land (sloping slope), backfill with various rubble on 2.20m and topsoil 20 to 60 cm over 3 years.
At the beginning of November I replaced 20 cm of soil following the compaction, now the ground is flat.
Which gives me a vegetable garden of around 70 m2.
Can this soil be suitable for growing under hay?
I plan to roll out 20 cm of hay at the end of the week, despite the soil being wet, quite a bit of rain in recent days.
My last gardening experience dates back to 1979 and 1980 in traditional culture.
Thank you for your answers.
0 x
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Soil quality

by Lolounette » 14/12/17, 14:57

hello Bernard and welcome to the forum...

So on average 40cm of topsoil on 2m20 of embankments?
well it’s not ideal but nature is extremely resilient : Wink:
It may take a little time to put life back in there but it will eventually come back, no doubt about it.
and the hay will only speed up the process so go for it!
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 14/12/17, 16:53

Good evening and welcome.

Same opinion, 40 cm of soil should go, anyway it is very rare (to my knowledge) that the most common annual vegetables go much deeper.

Gravas underneath? Depending on the type and the compaction provided during the intake, it can eventually be a little draining.

Anyway, you'll see! Good luck.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/12/17, 17:42

I would just add a couple of things:

- with phenoculture, it will be better than with anything else, taking into account that it covers, nourishes and fertilizes (much more than other forms of cover)

- it is likely that earth has already slipped between the rubble and that it will continue to do so ...

- it will be another "phenoculture in extreme conditions" experience: keep us posted!

Leave a little time for time, the time for life to settle in, arrange, find its place and prosper ... With the topsoil, you have "seeded" living organisms. They will find their niche ... You feed from above, so they will proliferate.

I'm pretty confident.
0 x
bernard19
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by bernard19 » 14/12/17, 21:26

Thank you for these encouragements, in spring I switch to phenoculture mode.
I watched a lot of videos from Did67, it's very interesting and very well done, more than putting them into practice.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 14/12/17, 22:13

bernard19 wrote:Thank you for these encouragements, in spring I switch to phenoculture mode.
I watched a lot of videos from Did67, it's very interesting and very well done, more than putting them into practice.

Good luck again, and above all do not panic, as Didier said, it may take a little time for all of this to come back into place. In addition, if you have not practiced for 40 years or almost, you will inevitably make some mistakes (I know, this is my journey for 3/4 years!).

And actually watch Didier's videos, it will save you some (of errors).
0 x