Plastic wastes in hay for phenoculture

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Plastic wastes in hay for phenoculture

by phil53 » 24/08/17, 08:15

I wish to have opinions on this subject because I recover plants cut or crushed by the commune or individuals.
They sometimes have bottle stoppers, small pieces of packaging and so on.
Until now I forbade myself to recover this organic matter but finally the plastics do not remain inert in the ground?
What gave me the idea is a topic about forum where it was developed that we can burn some plastics under certain conditions without more pollution than wood
If we do not return the earth, it will be a bit like a stone. Inks / dyes how will they react?
0 x
Did67

Re: Plastic waste in hay for phenoculture

by Did67 » 24/08/17, 15:36

The plastics of household waste are of several types:

polyethylenes (PE-HD or LD and some others): result of the polymerization of ethylene, we can consider that they are harmless and un little biodegradable ... Some bacteria are able to break down the plastic films end of PE ...

- PET is polyethylene terephthalate; despite its name, it is not one of the phthalates accused of being an endocrine disruptor; it therefore seems harmless even if one or two studies have reported (very low) risks, in particular due to products used as "catalysts" during manufacture (antimony), which can diffuse into food ...

These products can be in contact with food, in our commercial circuits (including "organic" products in traditional chains - more chic stores using more kraft paper).

Taking into account the "barrier" which the plant represents, I think that there is no apprehension to have ... One can also think that at this stage, possible traces of "pollutants" (antimony , residues of synthesis) have been evaporated or ... absorbed by the food at this stage ... In other words, they are certainly less dangerous in the soil than as packaging for what we eat. So as long as we tolerate them as food packaging, why ask questions about the vegetable garden (the story of the match and the beam!)? Only someone who only consumes vegetables not wrapped, or bought in bulk and wrapped in kraft or in glass jars, never canned (the cans are plasticized inside), etc. can possibly get it. ask, the question ... And obviously, who stops breathing when he walks in town ...
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/08/17, 19:44

Indeed, in terms of health risks, this waste is negligible. However, what I see as a concern is the gradual accumulation of micro waste, as and when successive spreading. The solution would probably be harvesting at the end of the growing season, once most of the hay layer is digested and before a new intake (in the same way as the weeds are removed).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 25/08/17, 09:36

Indeed, we can pick the biggest (on all occasions, especially during harvest).

But I think that this can be considered as a "ballast", like pebbles ... We put polystyrene balls to "lighten" the growing supports of ornamental plants!

Rest the aesthetic side that will repel some.

And the side "modern world" which will put off the "green Khmer" ...
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 25/08/17, 14:11

I see it as Didier (kind of plastic pebbles) the big pieces I remove them, what concerns me is the little bits of packaging taste very fine it will break in smaller and ultimately can be considered that as inert matter?
To bounce on Didier's message. Besides, it is really foul now that is put in the pots of the ornamental plants. Between the polystyrene, the felt we do not know what kind, and other support in synthetic.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 25/08/17, 20:14

And also, the micro pieces of pastique are they not likely to clog the digestive system of some organisms as it happens in the ocean?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/08/17, 16:13

There, I do not think there is the answer. No one had to gorge worms or collembolids with PET waste to see if they were choking ... Considering the very little research on soil biology now!

It goes without saying that if we can avoid, it is a risk in less ...

I guess, but this is just speculation, that some worm-type "mangetout" will see this "go through them" and others will be more selective and differentiate between yum-yum and what is yuck (for them) ???
0 x