Compare worked soil - unworked

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Kna
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Compare worked soil - unworked

by Kna » 27/02/17, 15:17

Now that the vegetation is leaving, news of my little experience.
Some may remember the starting point, early November 2016: a small parcel divided into 2 equal parts, the right one loosened on ~ 25cm deep, spade and pick, the left only cleared of his grass by covering cardboard and glazing.
Otherwise the two parts have received the same amendments in quantity and quality, commercial soil and "brown gold". On the right they have been mixed with the earth, on the left, simply "scratched" and mixed with a rake with the surface earth (hence the darker color):

! parcel test finie.jpg

The 2 parts were then seeded with the same amounts of seeds of a mixture of green manures: phacelia, mustard, oat, crimson clover. Plus a string of beans all the way around. Here is what became of the February 27:

! plateb_270217.JPG

It is easy to see that it grows much better in the right part, loosened:

! platebD_270217.JPG

! platebG_270217.JPG

For the moment, not a single little clover leaf has appeared.
The green manure will be cut after flowering and will serve as a ground cover, plus what I will have on hand, mowing, dead leaves, crushed hedge trimmings ...

To be continued...
2 x
rubbish
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: Compare worked - not worked soil

by rubbish » 27/02/17, 17:48

Bravo, super interesting experience, with a blatant result. It would be interesting to see a third piece just shivered, which requires much less work than the beche.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 27/02/17, 18:34

This result is hardly surprising, but what would be (will be) much more interesting, it will be to compare an artificially worked soil and a soil loosened by biological activity alone. At least it will be for those who have never experienced it ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 27/02/17, 22:00

Hello,
Kna wrote:the one on the right loosened to ~ 25cm deep, with a spade and a pickaxe, the one on the left only cleared of its grass by covering cardboard and glazing.
Flagrant indeed!
The earth had to be particularly compact and packed to have to attack it with the pickaxe.

We see that some grass has survived.
Just out of curiosity, what duration of hiding before sowing?
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"