Raspberry (too) late, can we advance the harvest?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Christophe

Raspberry (too) late, can we advance the harvest?

by Christophe » 29/09/16, 12:58

After having planted 2 or 3 raspberries a few years ago, I find myself with a beautiful "hedge" of raspberries, obviously the biotope pleases them, it reproduces a lot (until the middle of the grass which borders them) and I have to sacrifice several small feet several times a year! The largest plants exceed 2m!

The concern is that these raspberries seem very late to me: I only had the first raspberries in mid September and last year I still had them on November 1 after the first frosts!

Conditions: 400m altitude, Ardennes, exposure due West, zero fertilizer or treatment, no ground cover (except the dead leaves of hazel trees which are behind), regular pruning (at least once a year)

Is there a (natural) method to accelerate the production during the year, because there I have the impression to lose quite a lot (on November 1st there are still green raspberries which n 'will never mature)

Here are 2 photos of the day, we still see a lot of raspberries "in preparation":

Raspberries_1.jpg

Raspberries_2.jpg
0 x
Did67

Re: Raspberries (too) late, can we advance the harvest?

by Did67 » 29/09/16, 14:38

It seems late to me. Perhaps, in fact, do research on early varieties and try one or two pots.

How do you size them?

You have backward varieties (which produce in several waves or almost continuously). You can prune quite severe: you leave, on each stump 3 or 4 stems of the year; 1 m to 1,5 m high. Everything else you cut ... On these stems, there will be the first fruits next year. Then, it will reject everywhere and the second wave of fruiting will be done on new releases. The 3 or 4 stems that you have left will dry out. Clear them the year after ...

I do not know if and how much it affects precocity. It is sure that mid-September is late!

Raspberries suck all the time. I only know the mower to contain them without bothering! So a row / passage wide enough to pass with the mower / a row and so on ... On the row, from the BRF to the fall, to keep "clean". Dead leaves en masse, failing that. They are "forest" type plants.

And it would be necessary to train = to stretch wires; then you fix the rods on these wires; otherwise, it dangles in all directions and you no longer go with your mower!

Finally, it is normal to have, with ascending, buds and flowers until the vegetation stops and the leaves fall ...
1 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 29/09/16, 21:58

Silly question, but are you sure to cut it correctly?
The "branches" that will bear are the one that grew the year before.
Out with some varieties and when the situation particularly pleases them, it happens that the shoots of the year are already bearing ... but rather late towards the end of the season.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/09/16, 22:58

Ah yes, good remark!

So I resume to clarify:

- this winter, you keep 3 or 4 stems who have grown this year ; you are about 1,5 m tall; they will produce the first fruits, as on varieties not-rising, on the buds which will bud on the upper part first ... (in general)

- in principle, the stems from last year, which will have produced early this year, will be "dead" this autumn / winter (empty, hollow, torn off); you release them completely!

- so your 3 or 4 stems will produce in a first wave around June / early July, then "wither"

- during this time, new stems come out of the ground and on the ascending varieties, begin to flower, then to bear fruit ... It is the second wave, on the ascending ones, which only stop when the raspberries are "cooked" (lose the leaves).

On non-ascendants, there is not this second wave; the stems grow, but they do not flower. We cut them less severe, to have a bigger harvest, but which will remain unique!

At home it looks like you only have the second wave. So you have to wonder if you leave the good 3 or 4 stems of the year ... ??? The ones that should bloom first.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/09/16, 01:19

Forhorse wrote:The "branches" that will bear are the one that grew the year before.
Out with some varieties and when the situation particularly pleases them, it happens that the shoots of the year are already bearing ... but rather late towards the end of the season.

This is entirely my case: these are (and I would say almost exclusively *) the branches of the year that bear fruit!
The 2 photos posted above are branches of this year: I remember having cut quite severely ...

What what? I have GMO raspberries in my garden ?? : Mrgreen:

Good without laughing ...

Yes Did67, that's about what I see. Ok for the cutting method, I will pay more attention! I took the habit of removing only the parts of dead branches at the end of winter (+ 5 to 10 cm) ... and the completely dry plans (of the year N-2 then?)

* it does not seem to me to have an earlier production on the branches of last year ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/09/16, 01:23

I wonder if it is not this variety that I have:

Rubus idaeus 'Heritage' - Late red raspberry

Latin name: Rubus idaeus 'Heritage'
Family: Rosaceae

The Rubus idaeus 'Heritage' is one of the most hardy Rubus idaeus among the varieties of raspberry growing. Very productive old variety, it fruits at the end of summer and produces delicious red raspberries, quite large, not very juicy and very good conservation. Its late production and good conservation make it a small fruit ideal for freezing ...

The name tells me something (it's vague: it's been years since they were planted) and that fits my case perfectly ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/09/16, 06:13

Yes, that can be it.

So there, test early (backward, always) ...
0 x