Grass hay in seeds to mulch?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
green buissonneurAT
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Grass hay in seeds to mulch?

by green buissonneurAT » 30/08/16, 18:37

Hello,
can we use hay composed of grasses mounted in seeds to mulch?
cordially
0 x
Did67

Re: hay

by Did67 » 30/08/16, 19:10

I have described here a gardening method without tillage using hay: agriculture / gardening-more-than-bio-by-plant-live-without-fatigue-t13846.html

It is enough (and it is necessary!), Once started, never stop again and always maintain a sufficiently thick layer.

You can also see this on video, on Youtube, by typing "Le Potager du Paresseux" in the site's internal search engine. Start with "Le Potager Paresseux: késako?"

It is even, in my opinion, the best "mulch". And the one that will give the most spectacular results! Much richer than straw, for example ...
0 x
green buissonneurAT
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by green buissonneurAT » 31/08/16, 16:12

I have visualized all the videos. On the other hand, I would have liked a clarification on the quality of the hay: if the plants of the meadow are mounted in seeds, can we still cut it, make hay and use it as mulching without risk?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 31/08/16, 21:52

Yes, that's what I meant: without risk, provided you always maintain a sufficiently thick layer!

Because I guess the risk you're talking about is that the seeds germinate? [this is the fear spread on the internet; recently again a forumeur on Youtuabe who tells me he spoke with an "engineer converted to organic" who told him not to put hay, but that "straw is better" ... There is still a way to go!]

So if you have the videos in mind, think about the fact that I start in a meadow, even a wasteland. The meadow was mowed every year. The seeds, during the hay tedding and swathing, fell 90% to the ground. So not only was there already more grass than any other garden will ever know since it was a meadow, but in addition, the soil is full of seeds. Millions of seeds.

So logically, just bring seeds with the hay, it's cat pee next to it.

And so you risk 10 times less than me, provided you do well like me: always maintain a sufficient layer of grass ... If it's just a blow, like that, obviously it will all germinate as soon as the ground will be bare (already before, as soon as the layer is too thin and lets in light).

The principle is based on what you can see under any dense forest: there are hardly any grasses, if there is no direct light. It is enough to cut a tree so that everything grows and that it becomes bushy ... Conclusion: as long as you "cut" the light, there can be millions of raines, it does not matter!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/09/16, 11:07

vert-buissonneurAT wrote:I have visualized all the videos. On the other hand, I would have liked a clarification on the quality of the hay: if the plants of the meadow are mounted in seeds, can we still cut it, make hay and use it as mulching without risk?

It was also one of my first questions here: Agriculture / how-start-a-garden-of-the-lazy-steps-and-tips-t14895.html

Didier answered it perfectly ...
0 x
green buissonneurAT
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Grass hay in seeds for mulching?

by green buissonneurAT » 01/09/16, 20:53

thank you Didier for your details.
0 x