Grinder for BFR or wood chips

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Grinder for BFR or wood chips

by chatelot16 » 04/05/14, 18:23

Hello

I open a new topic to extend what starts here
https://www.econologie.com/forums/post272899.html#272899

following the next message
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 04/05/14, 22:44

you make the suspense last :P
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 04/05/14, 23:03

do not worry it'll happen
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/05/14, 11:06

I answered this on the old thread:

The "crusher" that I mentioned is in fact nothing more than a "continuous slicing rotary shear", called a turbine (very slowly rotating, hence the absence of noise) hence also the TC suffix for "TurbiCut".

[This is the Bosch AXT 2 500 TC]

The "rotor", made of a succession of "knives," cuts the branches against a "hoof", at the same time, the following notches "take" the branch and make it advance by itself before it is cut in limit switch...

The effort, apart from the friction of the twig against the hoof, is quite close to that which a shears would require, I think (I obviously could not verify, but the maximum power being 2 W, I think that it's a good "yield"!) ...

On the other hand, it is not suitable for "laceration" and "chopping" of small rubbish for composting. It is only suitable for twigs ...
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 05/05/14, 12:46

I had a shredder that had a rotating drum and a blade, like a giant electric plane.
It was a hell of hell, and sometimes blocked, I finally managed to give it to someone ...

I wonder if the chipper is more than an accelerator, in the forest nature can do without? Now (for 10 or 20 years) I pile up the hedge trimmings, after having lopped off with a secateurs or an ax, and put the stems (> 2-3 cm) apart.

The soil has risen nearly a meter at this point, and I make my little vegetables on the edge of the pile, which is a pile of potting soil.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/05/14, 13:29

For me, the "grinding" - so actually a "cutting" in small pieces of about 1 cm thick - has the following advantages:

- as indicated elsewhere [here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/jardin-et- ... 13234.html

I have for objective a "certain production"; I want to "exploit" non-negligible areas without work: my "garden is between 300 and 400 m²

- I want the soil to be covered all the time : it is the condition to be able to cultivate without any tillage (not even hoeing)

- "BRF" (this wood "cut" into strips) is one of the best "weapons" for this: it makes, from 5 cm thick, a sufficiently dense mat to inhibit the germination of weeds ...

- in addition, I try to "activate" the life of mushrooms throughout my garden, convinced that mushrooms are peerless "extractors" of minerals; convinced also that these fungi, after this phase of proliferation, die and maintain "heaps of living beings" - that I do not know - but which feed on these mycelia - filaments of the fungus; I am counting, this is only a hypothesis, on these "living beings" to also clean my plots by "eating" the spores of parasitic fungi, such as mildew ... So a "natural cleaning".

The mushrooms grow on the wet wood.

So unlike you, I don't want to "concentrate everything" in one place, but if possible, with a limited resource, treat the entire garden on a cycle of about 3 years.

I am therefore on a "cycle" much faster than yours: all takes place over about 3 years, even if some beneficial effects are longer term ...

NB: In my "rotation" also enter a year, clover of Alexandria, to "enter" nitrogen into my cycle (wood is extremely poor in nitrogen; it mainly brings K, P and some other minerals - the components of ash).

And a year on 3, hay or straw : it is a question of "raising" the earthworms, so that they work the ground for me, dig galleries, mix organic matter and minerals of the ground in order to structure it, manufacture of humus ... [c is the role of leaves in the forest]. Wood does not feed earthworms, even if they are found in rotting litter (they feed on cellulosic matter, such as dead cellulosic stems, straws, dead leaves ...).

So I make the sacrifice of "chopping" to be able to distribute my wood over 1/3 of the surface (at the rate of about fifty wheelbarrows, already!). This represents approximately 50 kWh of electricity, out of a household consumption of 2 ...

But on a small scale, of course, your system works too. The branches letting light, you need a much thicker layer. Suddenly, even if it's low in nitrogen, it still brings a quantity that is not zero ... And so you have, around the pile, a well-structured soil, rich, etc ... But what? 10 linear meters?

[not to brag, just to illustrate the difference in objectives and therefore approach: the sum of the "lines" in my garden is something like 250 linear meters of crops]
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/05/14, 13:36

dede2002 wrote:I had a shredder that had a rotating drum and a blade, like a giant electric plane.
It was a hell of hell, and sometimes blocked, I finally managed to give it to someone ...

It must be one of the "classic" models, with a high speed rotor.

The model I mentioned works with a slowly rotating turbine. We hear of course a "hum" of the motor and the mechanism, comparable to a drill or an electric hedge trimmer ...

Mine also gets blocked sometimes, when I am too greedy and Luio "sends" a gnarled branch of more than 3 or 4 cm! But it has a security and a "reverse" button: so a sudden reverse gear and it's off again.

[I do not want to advertise; but I was positively surprised by this device bought without having seen it work! And as said, the BRF comes back in my step, so I need it].
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 05/05/14, 15:00

the slow screw system of the bosch grinder of did67 is good, the only defect is to be a little expensive, but the quality is paid, and if it lasts a long time, the purchase price is forgotten

1) the most common model of shredder, it is a disk that turns at 3000 rpm with knife ... it's bad in energy because it eats power in pranence to make the wind with the big speed

it's not practical because it does not swallow the branch: you have to push them by hand over their entire length, and if you push too fast you stall the engine ... there is another version or c is a drum instead of a disc: it's not better

this principle is better on the big grinder with system of automatic advance of the wood to grind

2) model cogwheel slow: the wood is wedged between a gear wheel and a flat sheet: we put the big end of a branch and it swallows alone to the last leaf: it pulls hard enough to do pass all the branching in the machine

I bought one, brand trima has 100 euro a day of promo ...

it works well for green wood (it is the main goal) it works less well with dry wood, sometimes it is worth pushing on the branch for what advance

3) I do not speak more about the bosch screw system did it already

4) my future model: swallow the wood between 2 cogwheel ... the trick is to turn the 2 wheel to 2 different speed: one that rotates with tooth that pulls, and the other that rotates more slowly, for prevent the branch from being swallowed too quickly

this system reduces the friction of the system to a single toothed wheel, and makes it possible to make a slow mill very energy efficient

this system has 2 wheel may be larger than the little trima that I have that is limited to the branch of 3cm

the wheels will be interchangeable: big tooth to make a coarse grinding, especially to reduce the volume and facilitate storage in a silo: consuming less energy than for a fine grinding

small tooth wheel: to make real BRF or fuel, with automatic recovery of what is in a silo ... and since it is automatic turning only when there is energy rab
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/05/14, 17:01

1) Yes. A little expensive !!!

It's the brand that wants that too. But there is the performance, the ease of use - you put the branch on and it "goes" on its own! - and the security...

2) I think it's important to always be clear about the purpose:

- for BRF, I want well "cut" pieces of wood; ditto if I had to feed a boiler with platelets!

- something else is composting, where we want to go through anything (branches, crop residues, dead leaves, etc.) and leave it with a fairly lacerated, fairly crushed product that decomposes quickly (mixed with other products richer in nitrogen and more fermentable); there, the "fast" and noisy shredder is suitable "technically" (apart from the poor energy efficiency and noise - but there are some 3 times cheaper than the one I mentioned; durability ???).
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/05/14, 17:07

chatelot16 wrote:
4) my future model: swallow the wood between 2 cogwheel ... the trick is to turn the 2 wheel to 2 different speed: one that rotates with tooth that pulls, and the other that rotates more slowly, for prevent the branch from being swallowed too quickly

this system reduces the friction of the system to a single toothed wheel, and makes it possible to make a slow mill very energy efficient

this system has 2 wheel may be larger than the little trima that I have that is limited to the branch of 3cm

the wheels will be interchangeable: big tooth to make a coarse grinding, especially to reduce the volume and facilitate storage in a silo: consuming less energy than for a fine grinding

small tooth wheel: to make real BRF or fuel, with automatic recovery of what is in a silo ... and since it is automatic turning only when there is energy rab

Uh, I did not understand what cut ??? One of the wheels? Pressing the other ???

To advance is one thing. Cut cleanly and especially durably, another.

Either, it's speed. This is the principle of the kitchen chopper. Hence debauchery of energy and ... noise. [To tell you more, my Bosch is making less noise in the wood than my Moulinex when I cut carrots!]

Either it's the pinching between a wheel with knives and something, at low speed. But you need something that "holds" ... It is the principle of the secateurs and the counter blade, except that it is rotating and continuously.
0 x