GM mosquitoes against dengue are in nature ...

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Christophe

GM mosquitoes against dengue are in nature ...

by Christophe » 21/04/14, 10:29

How many generations can a mosquito make during a season?

Brazil to unleash millions of GM mosquitoes against dengue fever

Will the mosquito be the first animal - or rather insect - genetically modified that we will encounter in nature? The question is posed as Brazil is authorizing the release of a sterile transgenic mosquito to control dengue fever. This news, which has raised hopes for the fight against this serious epidemic, has provoked the controversy and opposition of many NGOs.

(...)

http://ecologie.blog.lemonde.fr/2014/04 ... -la-dengue : Shock: :|

Video: https://vimeo.com/38568661
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: GMO mosquitoes against dengue are in nature.

by sen-no-sen » 21/04/14, 13:56

Christophe wrote:How many generations can a mosquito make during a season?

Normally they are sterile, normally ...
I hope it will not be barren like the Jurassik park dinosaurs!
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/04/14, 19:00

Normally in theory yes ... I quote the article above:

Because in reality, not all mosquitoes are sterile. According to Oxitec, 3% of transgenic mosquitoes still manage to survive, even without the presence of tetracycline. And in a polluted environment, where this antibiotic is found in wastewater, the larvae have a survival rate of around 15%, says Inf'OGM.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 30/04/14, 20:07

An excellent article, as usual, of F. Nicolino, here.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: GMO mosquitoes against dengue are in nature ...

by GuyGadebois » 01/10/19, 16:57

GMO mosquitoes breed with their wild cousins

In Brazil, hundreds of thousands of transgenic mosquitoes, genetically modified so that their progeny do not grow, have been disseminated in the environment. A study published in Nature shows that these GMO mosquitoes have had fertile offspring with wild relatives. Researchers thus show the inefficiency of the technology in the fight against dengue but also point out potential risks.
The following:
https://www.infogm.org/6859-moustiques- ... s-sauvages
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 01/10/19, 17:47

like for wild and vaccine viruses. That's crazy! : Cheesy:
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 02/10/19, 16:53

Like any technology, GMOs can be used for our greater good or greater misfortune. To condemn everything a priori does not make sense. Even a hammer can be used to kill his mother-in-law, should the hammer be forbidden?

When I arrived in French Guiana the first time, for work, the colleagues who welcomed me returned from the burial of one of them, died of dengue haemorrhagic fever. Of the millions of others that Nature offers us, I did not know this crap before that day. Since then, I have retained it. The Brazilians are right to give it a shot, and the smart ecologists do not oppose it when we know that dengue fever makes more than a million cases a year in Brazil.
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 02/10/19, 16:55

Exnihiloest wrote:Like any technology, GMOs can be used for our greater good or greater misfortune. To condemn everything a priori does not make sense. Even a hammer can be used to kill his mother-in-law, should the hammer be forbidden?

When I arrived in French Guiana the first time, for work, the colleagues who welcomed me returned from the burial of one of them, died of dengue haemorrhagic fever. Of the millions of others that Nature offers us, I did not know this crap before that day. Since then, I have retained it. The Brazilians are right to give it a shot, and the smart ecologists do not oppose it when we know that dengue fever makes more than a million cases a year in Brazil.

0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)