New rules on battery farming

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

New rules on battery farming

by sen-no-sen » 18/03/12, 15:02

Since January 1, 2012, a European directive has banned so-called "conventional" cages. A first step forward welcomed by the 30 Millions d'Amis Foundation, which works alongside the PMAF * to improve the living conditions of laying hens.

A better future for laying hens Industrial laying hen farms are regularly criticized by animal welfare advocates. In Europe, 80% of them live in small wire cages, aligned in batteries on several levels - up to 8 floors - in blind hangars that can simultaneously contain up to 70 birds. To live, each hen has a surface similar to an A000 format sheet (ie 4 cm²)! Mutilations, fractures, loss of feathers, stereotypical behavior, illnesses ... the consequences are disastrous. A European directive, which came into force on January 550, 1, has therefore been adopted by member states to improve industrial farming.

"Express their natural needs"

From now on, it is in so-called "converted" cages that the hens will be raised. The characteristics are as follows: a space of at least 750 cm² per hen, the provision of a nest, litter and a perch, or a feed trough at least 12 cm long per hen and access to a drinking trough. Arrangements far from trivial: "Laying hens must be able to express their natural behavior, such as the need to spread their wings" recalls the PMAF * on its dedicated site.

Adequate provisions for these animals, which have the habit of feeding on scratching or pecking the ground, building a nest, perching or even taking dust baths. "Chickens form complex social relationships with their congeners, and can recognize up to 80 individuals, including humans," continues the PMAF.

France, a bad student?

But behind all this progress, hides a political reality that MEPs have understood: according to them, "30% of EU egg production will probably not respect the ban on unmanaged cages by the 1st January 2012 ”, failing to have anticipated the implementation of the directive ordering the prohibition of conventional cages, adopted in ... 1999! France, alongside countries such as Spain or Poland, is among the poor students of Europe, and the Ministry of Agriculture has to subsidize the farms concerned. Great Britain, Germany and Austria have already been on the new standards for several years. According to the European Commission, and only for France, 6 million gallinaceae out of 43 million - or one hen out of 7 - do not yet benefit from these new developments.

If the directive is going in the right direction, the progress it advocates is nonetheless to be put into perspective: the additional space which each hen will now have represents barely more than the surface of a postcard. And despite these advances, the fate of laying hens in industrial farms is far from enviable: "This is a minimal improvement compared to the complex needs of laying hens" concludes the PMAF.

The 30 Million Friends Foundation, which works to improve the living conditions of farm animals alongside the PMAF, also provides everyone with comprehensive information for responsible consumption of eggs.

* World Farm Animal Protection

http://www.30millionsdamis.fr/acces-special/actualites/detail/article/3975-un-avenir-meilleur-pour-les-poules-pondeuses.html

From now on the battery hens will not have 550cm2 to survive in their cages but 750cm2 (sic!) ... progress in terms of respect for life is definitely very long to put in place ...
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 18/03/12, 15:43

Eat only organic eggs and chickens.

And still it is very insufficient to have hens that eat natural, real earthworms, running in the big fields, which are totally different with their eggs, battery farms that give pure harmful junk food.
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 18/03/12, 18:24

... progress in terms of respect for life is definitely very long to put in place ...
I doubt that increasing the space of a prison is a matter of respect for life, the final fate of which is settled.
See eartlings-Terrans
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 074063220#
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 18/03/12, 21:10

Instead of a dog, adopt a hen. Or eat less egg, and favor organic as dis dedelco, if the eggs are bought, they will be produced; if they are no longer, no more production.

The consumer is responsible in another cause we must not put everything on the heads of the producers again, although some are oblivious to the harm they do, needless to say ...
But it's not just the laying hens, the chickens we eat are not better off, neither are the pigs, the rabbits, etc.

as much science without conscience is only ruin of the soul as much consumption without conscience is not better.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 20/03/12, 12:57

Janic wrote:
... progress in terms of respect for life is definitely very long to put in place ...
I doubt that increasing the space of a prison is a matter of respect for life, the final fate of which is settled.
See eartlings-Terrans
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 074063220#

Indeed, but there is a fundamental difference between the old-style breeding (at the "farmyard") and the concentration and extermination camps for animals.

Short speech by Claude Bourguignon on the subject:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp6R7lHmxSw
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 20/03/12, 13:16

only without industrial farming, few would have meat on their plates at the carnists. So unless you live in the countryside, urban centers are the main demanders of these industrial farms and therefore give them credibility.
hack
although some are oblivious to the harm they do, it goes without saying ...
do you really believe it It is like saying that the Nazis were oblivious to the harm they were doing in the concentration camps! They were not oblivious, only indifferent as are the carnists in front of their plates and the slaughterhouses.
Last edited by Janic the 20 / 03 / 12, 13: 22, 1 edited once.
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 20/03/12, 13:22

Since we eat too much meat, the problem is not necessarily one;) ... the problems due to the excessive consumption of meat and it is very real ...
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 20/03/12, 13:35

Seeing that we eat too much meat, the problem is not necessarily one ;) ... the problems due to the excessive consumption of meat it is very real ...
it's called self-justification of the genre: "one that's okay, three hello the damage"
some concrete figures:
production 1.516.100 tonnes carcass equivalent, therefore the meat itself, including 1.318.000 adult cattle; 198.000 calves for slaughter
Export: 1.257.900 live animals against 154.000 on import
9,6 million slaughter animals, 42% of which are large cattle, 13% calves; 42% sheep, goats and that without counting poultry, fish, etc ...
source Agrimer
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 20/03/12, 19:44

Good evening,
janic:

Quote:
although some are oblivious to the harm they do, needless to say ...

do you really believe it It is like saying that the Nazis were oblivious to the harm they were doing in the concentration camps! They were not oblivious, only indifferent as are the carnists in front of their plates and the slaughterhouses.

The comparison is more than doubtful ... you ask yourself as a judge and a party, who are you to judge, are you in the minds of breeders ???
Are you aware only that a being is different from another as well in terms of the expression of his DNA as in the understanding of things in general ???
I imagine that you are vegetarian or vegan ... ask yourself where you would be, or in what state, if there had not been meat after World War II to feed your grandparents and parents ... the "advances" at the level of knowledge on what food is (in France in any case) are only very recent, the availability of useful food for "balance" comes from international trade, how many workers under pay, how many people have been fired from their fields who can no longer feed themselves ... to make your foodstuffs in order to allow you to live without meat ???

I am not for battery farming, but I do not judge as you do, look at yourself before judging the others, and tell yourself that yes according to your conception of living things it is quite possible to tell yourself that what we do is not bad ... it is not because of you that you believe in respect for the life of animals that everyone believes (unfortunately).

"it is called self-justification of the genre:" one is fine, three hello the damage "
some concrete figures:
production 1.516.100 tonnes carcass equivalent, therefore the meat itself, including 1.318.000 adult cattle; 198.000 calves for slaughter
Export: 1.257.900 live animals against 154.000 on import
9,6 million slaughter animals, 42% of which are large cattle, 13% calves; 42% sheep, goats and that without counting poultry, fish, etc ...
source Agrimer "

Selfjustification ???? who of me lol you know me, you're on my plate when i eat;) ...

Put things back in order, if with the right information, at present most of the people understand that eating meat and meals is more harmful than beneficial, do you think the production would be the same, there is production it is that there is a market (we live for the moment in a world where the economy reigns supreme and unfortunately not common sense once again).

What do you want to tell me with your numbers ??? we eat too much meat ??? :)

that we export too much meat, that we exploit animals ???

I agree with all this and after that will change something if no one realizes that meat is not the only source of protein, I don't think.

The problem is elsewhere, it is at the economic and knowledge level, it is essentially for lack of knowledge that we continue to have such a calamitous diet (but little by little it changes), and that benefits who economically speaking ???

If the demand was not so important the production would not be at this stage ...

For my part the only solution I know for the respect of all animals and all plants (because we can go even further each plant has its own energy so when you cut a salad you destroy it to eat its energy) and by the same token, is called respiriannism, are you ready ???? do you think we can be ready as long as we're hungry ???

In no case do I want to justify the mistreatment and the atrocious conditions (sometimes) of certain breeding, but I don't want to stop myself either ... you produce everything you eat ??? if yes this is perfect (still i need you to produce your own seeds ..), if not you wondered where or come the vegetables, legumes, cereals, fruits etc that you eat ?? have you been there to see that respect for human beings is in order ??? , that respect for the earth is essential ?? how food arrives on your plate, by rail transported by plane by truck ???

I am for the respect of the life on all the levels but only progress of comprehension will be able to bring a real solution to all its problems, you will be able to make all the laws that you want in all the directions that you want as long as the bottom does is not understood it comes back to pissing on a violin. and then bring well-being to an animal that you are going to kill is not it the self-justification that we can just continue to kill its same animals (watch they are well treated my chickens so I can kill them as they are well treated ...).

in short if the mentality changes more need for laws only common sense is enough ...
it is rather at this level that action must be taken ... but the problem is much more complex than a question of how to raise it ...
But be quiet in a while the steaks will be made in the laboratory ...
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 20/03/12, 20:00

In any case, battery or concentration-type farming is an aberration, and must be abolished.
In Switzerland it seems to me that this type of breeding (battery) has been prohibited since 1981, proof that one can do without it.
The truth is simple: concentration breeding = profit maximization ...
0 x