Why 1 billion people hungry? No problem!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Why 1 billion people hungry? No problem!

by Christine » 30/10/11, 10:23

Easier to explain the Belgian institutional situation to my cat than to understand hunger in the world?

This short film shows us that no, because "No solution? No problem!"

http://www.oxfammagasinsdumonde.be/2011 ... -probleme/

And another, more satirical "Glen, Gary & Ross; So, who's hungry?" :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _e2s4dedrs
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 30/10/11, 14:15

At a minimum, it is only the “theoretical societal model” (if one can say so ...) and which accompanies globalization. Largely based on "fear" for the purpose of "Put the masses to work" and constantly bringing individuals back to their "almost non-existent" condition is unsuitable for .... at least one in seven people ... (since there are nearly 7 billion on the planet!)

If this model was more broadly based on "culture" (not to say faith) rather than profit at all costs based on the annihilation of individuals (VS the triumph of predation on all levels ...) , more broadly based on a "sharing" society, would it be better? I don't know, but it couldn't be worse, right ?!

In any case, the impoverishment of the middle classes in the world (and in particular in the West), which had the effect of developing their debt to the point of no return (sub-premiums etc.), did not bring the expected miracle solution. Nor even the advent of a “perfect” world where “free trade” based on the so-called “market economy” would reign! Since we saw with the debt crisis, how the dice were loaded , and that the law of "supply vs demand", Which clearly does not apply fairly to banks and financial organizations"too big to go bankrupt"... while at the same time the most exposed populations, were meanwhile"weak and vulnerable enough to die with your mouth open ”... What is more, we asked the weakest and most vulnerable to bail out the banks ... (Forced one-way sharing ...)

What should be reformed first would be the justice system, so that victims are no longer considered to be quasi "guilty of being victims" (whereas during this time, predators largely benefit from a regime of quasi impunity). And then that "justice" is free and accessible to all. Then then create a body of "comparative law", to adapt the new laws with the laws of all countries. And that is not easy to achieve ... But it will have to be done one day!
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 30/10/11, 17:10

..., Poverty, delinquency, pollution are only systemic consequences of our society.
Believing that world hunger is "bad luck" is nothing but a huge swindle!

In truth, beyond an apparent dysfunction (which does not have one, since it is systemic, therefore "normal") hunger in the world serves as a demographic regulator.

Indeed, the current model, based on the plundering of resources, need a poor distribution of "wealth", otherwise, there would be too rapid destruction of ecosystems, or it would be imperative to change the system (which is out of the question in current logic).

A structure, whether biological, social, market, has only one goal: to perpetuate its existence.
However, ensuring that everyone has access, for example to security, health and food, would require destroying the scale of dominance of the oligarchy.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 30/10/11, 17:27

if the inhabitants of the wealthy countries stopped wanting to eat animals at all costs, there would be enough vegetable foodstuffs to feed the entire current population. It is therefore not enough to challenge the political or financial systems, but we must also question ourselves.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 30/10/11, 17:55

Janic wrote:if the inhabitants of the wealthy countries stopped wanting to eat animals at all costs, there would be enough vegetable foodstuffs to feed the entire current population. It is therefore not enough to challenge the political or financial systems, but we must also question ourselves.

... the industrialization of breeding has resulted in the democratization of meat, once again it is only the result of a system.
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 30/10/11, 18:53

hello, still, as janic says, if you remove the meat knowing the amount of cereal to make a kilo of meat.
If on arrival you look from a caloric point of view what it brings you you see a sacred loss of scale.
In a first post you talk about demographic regulation, this week on France Inter it seems to me, an expert about the arrival of the 7 billionth human being. Said that to solve the problem you had to learn to read and educate the people of wild which reproduces (good I schematize).

In both cases it regulates not terrible.
a + claude
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 30/10/11, 19:26

I agree with you, Sen-no-sen, but not on the specific point of population regulation through hunger.
The system, although powerful, does not see so far!
Malnutrition (more than famine) simply hits the poor (or the impoverished) because they do not constitute a demand solvent and are therefore ignored because of this.

The most miserable populations hardly interfere in the competition for resources: they therefore do not threaten the minority of large predators.
80% of the world population shares (unevenly!) 20% of resources; in other words, the poorest of these 80% are satisfied with crumbs!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 30/10/11, 19:38

I do not understand certain reasoning, since we know that famines and deadly epidemics are the main vectors of the population explosion.

What we must therefore aim for amha is a measured development of precarious societies and a lot of prevention to curb infant mortality ...

However, there would be no need to cut meat production. Once a week would be enough while some eat it every day (which is excessive) they would be enough that everyone becomes aware of the need to reduce their consumption. The ideal would of course be to achieve "zero consumption", but culturally and in the face of "personal will", I would be hard pressed to guarantee a prognosis on such programs ...
Concerning the "demographic weapons", those that we inflict on ourselves are much more formidable (agro-food with its devitalized productions causing the so-called degenerative diseases ...). And so of course agree with the fact that it would take instruction: mbut here too it is lacking!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 30/10/11, 19:49

I believe that the vectors of the "population explosion" are more complex.
After the great plague pandemics in Europe, the demographic boom was very slow ...
The demographic transition, as it is called, results from several factors: education, minimum material well-being, women's autonomy, place and role of the child ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 30/10/11, 19:52

Ahmed wrote:The system, although powerful, does not see so far!
!

And yet!
Some...Henry Kissinger (Nobel Peace Prize !!!) wrote in a report NSSM-200 (for National Security Study Memorandum) dating from 1974 (declassified in 1990) that demographic control in African countries (among others) was an economic necessity for the States United.
These controls operate in different ways: establishment of puppet governments, fabricated financial crisis and other secret CIA wars ...

For a certain number of individuals, the planet is a cake, and for some to force-feed, others must fast.
Last edited by sen-no-sen the 30 / 10 / 11, 20: 23, 2 edited once.
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"