Spirulina aquaculture at home, it's not complicated!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Spirulina aquaculture at home, it's not complicated!

by highfly-addict » 11/12/10, 13:04

Hello everyone !
By popular demand .... : Cheesy: cf https://www.econologie.com/forums/afrique-sp ... 10250.html

Here is a subject on the domestic culture of spirulina

Small preliminary history:

I discovered spirulina a few years ago, while visiting an alternative place in the Gard, and of course, I was attentive!

But not the time, nor the material means: I put it on my ear saying to myself that I will smoke it later.

Last year, at the end of summer, a neighbor and nevertheless a friend, showed me around his vegetable garden and .... my attention was drawn to a children's pool (plastic container) filled with green soup.

He said to me: I don't want to take care of it anymore, too hard to winter (in a greenhouse), are you interested?

Yes of course ! So I leave with 10l of said soup and an A4 sheet filled with notes that I could take.

And since ... it grows!

Here is a view of the entire tank, equipped with its solar heater.

View of the mixer: a small motor, a reduction gear, an old CD fitted with plastic blades.

The small Chinese recovery panel ....

Turbidity measurement: it's time to harvest soon!

A short video of the tiller in operation

See you soon for the equipment and the culture management!
Last edited by highfly-addict the 11 / 12 / 10, 13: 57, 1 edited once.
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET
"We see what we believes"Dennis MEADOWS
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 11/12/10, 13:54

So, here is my full "spirulina" equipment:
- a 0,7x0,6x0,25 full butcher's tray almost to the brim,
- a small solar "stirrer" made from an old disassembled hi-fi system and powered by a small solar panel taken from a Chinese HS fence energizer (photos available on request).
- a large pass,
- a marble slab for drying
- a pitcher
- a thermometer,
- Sunflower paper for pH
- white wintering fabric to shade if necessary.
- and of course, the eyes, nose and fingers.
That's it that's all !

Oh yes ! I forgot: the SECCHI record, a small white surface at the end of a graduated ruler: the measurement is made by immersing the disc in the soup, as soon as it becomes invisible we read the graduation corresponding to the surface.

Illuminated tank exposure but without direct sun (danger of death!), Culture pH between 9 and 11,5 in brackish water.
The ideal temperature is between 25 and 35 ° C, spirulina stops growing below 15 ° C. I do not know the upper limit, but as I have never climbed to 35 ° C ....

The depth should not exceed 20 cm and the agitation should be gentle and regular.

The time to harvest has come when the SECCHI is between 20 and 30 mm. We are trying to bring it back to 35-45 mm.

There are two ways to do this:
- micro-filtration of the soup ... (I am not equipped for),
- leave to stand (touilleur off) for a few hours, the algae come to form a carpet on the surface which is easy to collect with a passette.

We give "food" according to what we take (harvest approximately every three days on average in good season).
The "eat" is urine or nettle manure, iron salts (rather citrates if possible) and wood ash.
It is also necessary to have baking soda which is used to balance the pH and to provide dissolved CO2, which "boosts" the growth of algae.

The whole art consists in finding a sampling / feeding rhythm adapted to the conditions of the moment (lighting, temperature, etc.).
With a little experience, it is done very well "by feeling".

We will distinguish

- the "culture medium": for 100 l, count 30 l of "ash water", 500 g of salt and 70 l of water.

- "ash water": prepared at the rate of 1 kg of wood ash for 5 l of water (2 passages) to which 65 g / l of sodium bicarbonate are added.

- the "iron solution": a liter of white vinegar, the juice of two lemons and 100 g of old nails marinated for 10 days. 1ml of this solution "compensates" for taking 10 g of fresh spirulina.

- "food": nettle manure + iron solution or urine + iron solution. 100 ml of urine "compensates" for taking 50 g of fresh spirulina, a little more manure is needed (x2 to x3 at first glance) for the same result.

Harvesting and feeding are done regularly according to the decrease in SECCHI, in the morning, from May to October in our latitudes.

Finally, the health of the culture: in good health, the culture of spirulina is of a deep and dark green / blue, but it can also happen this ....

- the culture turns pale and is very "thick", mud forms at the bottom: too much light and food: purge the mud, shade a little and harvest without replenishing, even in extreme cases dilute squarely with water pure sweet.

- Spirulina collects in lumps at the bottom of the tank: it is a symptom of stress (too much dilution, or light or thermal shock, nitrogen deficiency). The solution is to shade, add nitrogen, break up lumps (passette) and shake gently.

- to the touch, the culture is "gelatinous": lack of nitrogen and sulfur, add urine (not too much especially!).

- foam is formed: sunstroke! Shade and reduce mixing.

- many day bubbles: strong growth, shade, harvest often;
- many night bubbles: fermentation, remove the deposit.

- touch of the "soapy" culture: pH too high, shade and add bicarbonate.

Here ! I hope it will give ideas!

: Cheesy:

If you have any questions do not hesitate !
Last edited by highfly-addict the 11 / 12 / 10, 23: 48, 1 edited once.
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET

xboxman4
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by xboxman4 » 11/12/10, 17:46

Very good subject;) Very detailed.

To collect your algae, you can use a silk sheet! This is what they used at the time in South America to "pick" the spirulina.

Is the harvest done all year round?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/12/10, 17:59

Thank you for this topic it would interest me to do the same thing but not before spring.

Uh the cat he tasted already? : Cheesy:
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 11/12/10, 18:31

Sorry for my lack of culture ... but after, Spirulina, should I take it as an infusion or a soup? :?

(In any case, bravo for this interesting and very clear dossier)
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
xboxman4
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by xboxman4 » 11/12/10, 18:39

Grelinette wrote:Sorry for my lack of culture ... but after, Spirulina, should I take it as an infusion or a soup? :?

You eat it : Mrgreen: As a food supplement;)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/12/10, 18:53

Grelinette wrote:Sorry for my lack of culture ... but after, Spirulina, should I take it as an infusion or a soup? :?

See the video presented on this subject: https://www.econologie.com/forums/afrique-sp ... 10250.html

+ Google is your friend :)
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiruline

ps: dried spirulina is edible (if not good) but in a culture bath I don't think it's digestible ...
0 x
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 11/12/10, 19:35

Thank you all for these nice comments!

xboxman4 wrote:...
Is the harvest done all year round?

In our latitudes, we can harvest from April-May to September-October.

For wintering, I let the temperature drop to around 10-12 ° C or less and I leave alone, barely a little touching every day if the weather is nice.

Indeed Christophe, the culture bath, it's not great to drink!

Otherwise, with dried spirulina, all kinds of culinary fantasies are possible as long as you do not cook them: Neon green mash, flaked directly on the salad, or slipped gently into a ham sandwich ...

Enjoy your meal everybody !

edit ps: thank you Christophe for this job of moderator / moderator!
And ... yes, the cat tasted ... but did not like the swimming phase or the subsequent grooming!
Last edited by highfly-addict the 11 / 12 / 10, 19: 43, 1 edited once.
0 x

Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 11/12/10, 19:41

Here, a little question like that ...

Spirulina being a rich and balanced food supplement for humans, would it also be good for equines? ...

If you knew all the food supplements (more or less doubtful) that exist to add to the rations of equines!
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 11/12/10, 19:50

Well Grelinette, we had the same idea!

In fact I do not know if this cyanophyceae is also good for equines, but I strongly think so, given its digestibility for humans.

The concern is that there must be substantial quantities.
If I want to consider a spirulina cure for my filly, we will have to enlarge a little my installation!

In fact, I have so little left that I am reluctant to make him simply taste it!

The poor ! : Mrgreen:
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"