Make a wooden rainwater collector

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Christophe

Make a wooden rainwater collector

by Christophe » 30/08/07, 12:50

I take here an interesting message (but "lost" in another discussion) from a member of the forum:

Snickers wrote:Sure we can spend days looking for blackjack tanks. I've decided to make it ... two years ago.
I will detail my realization, if it can inspire!

I decided to build a reserve of 2300L of rainwater for several reasons:
- My Aquarium requires a lot of fresh water (low hardness).
- The price of water is increasing
- The laundry is done better with less detergent if very soft water is used.
- Some devices do not require "potable" water to operate. toilet!

So I looked for an economical way to make a reservation for a good capacity for recovery surface (60 square meter).
My choice fell on a wooden frame to combine aesthetics and strength,
carpet before to protect the tarpaulin inside
a black tarpaulin 4 4 m X m of new 2mm Basin
A bouquet pot and a pot saucer to complete the pre-filter.

The first step:
Sanding and painting of crude slats of fir purchased 2m40 and thick 18mm (Price approximately 8 E square meter in the local DIY magazin) and halved for 1m20 height.
The laying of the circle latte ...
Strapping with green wire mesh holding
black tarpaulin 16 square meters (about € 50)
The route for cutting
The edges were folded over themselves in a regular way to get the diameter of the tank and taped prior to installation.
The additional straps keep everything
The cover (which protects the tank children and serves to support the filter)
The total cost of return is approximately € 200. It must be added the booster reserve with 3 bars, pipes and fittings € 100.
This system provides about 100L per day (washing machine + bathroom + aquarium) deducted from my consumption. I detailed the gain here https://www.econologie.com/forums/loi-francaise-sur-la-recuperation-de-l-eau-de-pluie-t1742-40.html
Completion time around 10H.

Good DIY, for those who might inspire.

Some unusual pictures of the pre-filter!
Full
Basically, I put roller so it does not float. Water not apparent from 12 diameter holes spaced around the entire periphery.
Inside there x2cm thickness 40x30mm a diameter of garden pond filter foam. This captures the larger impurities. Settling in the reserve and the filter pump outlet do the rest. I wash foams all about 6 months. This, so that the flow of the pre-filter remains sufficient during thunderstorms.
At first, I filtered better with aquarium cotton wool. But the clogging was much too fast (<1 month). After two or three washes, the wadding had to be changed. Now I have foams that should last over 10 years without a problem ...
Once a year, when the tank is empty or nearly so, I brush and vacuum with a vacuum pump cellar.

full discussion here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/recuperati ... 78-60.html
0 x
A2E
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by A2E » 31/08/07, 09:10

More interesting technique! : Cheesy:
In fact, it is more or less a question of making a barrel as the coopers used to do, but here with the rim of simple wire and an inner cover.
I wonder about the cost if we could use that single deck boards with a lined Recycling tarp. and of agricultural origin (silage sheeting) to further lower the final cost! (The money the money you always tell me!) But for a temporary installation (2 or 3 years) is better as well and also in semi-buried for more rigidity and avoid strapping and thus gain in volume. :?:
0 x
hubby77
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by hubby77 » 05/06/10, 18:33

Super interesting your system. I plan to inspire me your idea to make a rectangular, but I wonder if I will not be a problem to push water during filling.
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

water reserve

by oli 80 » 05/06/10, 18:45

hello, the other advantage of this tank if it does not rain it's the ram takes over to fill : Mrgreen:

even if it does not seem to pump much but as it works day and night it should do it
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 05/06/10, 23:36

hubby77 wrote:Super interesting your system. I plan to inspire me your idea to make a rectangular, but I wonder if I will not be a problem to push water during filling.

the round shape is the most effective: rectangular it takes a lot more material to withstand the weight of water

I find it even easier than wood tole

I have a tole 0.8mm thick 1.25m high and diameter 3.5m: waterproofing by a tarpaulin transparent poyethylene Greenhouse: I avoid the black for silage, which is only to last a year: the movie greenhouse is guaranteed 6 years and lasts even longer
0 x