Rainwater harvesting for domestic use

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
benoitdelucmau
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Rainwater harvesting for domestic use

by benoitdelucmau » 02/08/06, 17:16

I am new to the site
I build a house taking into account as much as possible an ecological dimension

so I plan to install a flexible tank for domestic use

the best would be to install it in the crawlspace I just saw with the macon it is not possible
I will manage to put it outside I have some land
I am going to use it for a toilet flush and the washing machine for the dishwasher. It seems to me more difficult. The quality of the water must be close to that of the tap.

if people have installed this kind of concept please let me know your impressions
I take advice

I specify towards a flexible tank for questions of cost I know very well that there is much better

thank you in advance

adishatz benoitdelucmau
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/08/06, 17:43

Last edited by Christophe the 18 / 06 / 07, 16: 06, 2 edited once.
0 x
benoitdelucmau
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by benoitdelucmau » 03/08/06, 02:17

the posts did not answer my questions my interest anyway
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 03/08/06, 09:15

I am a little surprised to see that "you think about it".
in the Walloon region, new construction must almost necessarily include a cistern, this is generally found under the lawn, in the same way as the septic tank, the sewer pipes, the water, gas and electricity arrivals.
it is a good investment, which can generate a saving of around 100 euros / year at the current price of water for 100 m2 of roof.
The kitchen sink, the sinks, the dishwasher must be supplied with drinking water
in the house where I live, the tank is in the cellar and with a capacity of a dozen m³, this is what we most often find in town (in fact, it is the size of a room , deliberately limited in height to limit the pressure on the walls.)
in new constructions, the capacity that I see most often installing is 7 m³
I also think that it is better to favor plastic tanks over concrete tanks which always end up cracking and are much easier to clean (always provide an access hatch to be able to clean the tank with a jet)
I am not very in favor of supplying showers and bathtubs with rainwater because we can never prevent young children from swallowing this water.
The tank water circuits must always be able to be supplied with mains water if necessary: ​​do not forget to place a non-return valve (in addition to the non-return valve placed near the meter)
to put pressure, a new trend is to install pumps without a buffer tank, personally, I still recommend placing a hydrophore group with a 10 liter buffer, it's better when a tap leaks.
in fact from what I see, the main problem is the perenniality of the system because, in town, most of the old tanks are abandoned because they are leaking.
what seems important to me is that all the components of the system are accessible for easy maintenance by the occupant himself, otherwise, he ends up no longer using it.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
AVEVA
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

water production!

by AVEVA » 05/09/06, 21:40

There is interesting information on the site:
http://www.eautarcie.com/Eautarcie/3.Ea ... iterne.htm
0 x
Obelix
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Obelix » 06/09/06, 10:41

Hello,

In the same vein, and allowing significant water savings:
A micro-treatment plant:
www.station-epuration.com

This allows you to use your water a first time, then a second time for watering the garden and the toilets, then always for the toilets supplied with recycled water.

Obelix
0 x
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 13/09/06, 07:51

Hello,
I know a person who is starting to recover rainwater, he has arranged to receive free 1m³ tanks for food liquids that hold on a europallet, I suggested he bury them to protect them from frost and UV
The problem is to connect them together ......
Love at first sight, I also know a guy whose specialty is plastic welding : Cheesy: They are both in touch now.
@+
0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 13/09/06, 08:45

I just looked at the offer of the company PLUVALOR, on the link of autarky: in my humble opinion, solution for wealthy dreamer. The investment is not justified for an average house connected to the distribution of water. It is much more profitable to invest your money in energy saving.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 13/09/06, 09:29

Bibiphoque wrote:Hello,
I know a person who is starting to recover rainwater, he has arranged to receive free 1m³ tanks for food liquids that hold on a europallet, I suggested he bury them to protect them from frost and UV
The problem is to connect them together ......
Love at first sight, I also know a guy whose specialty is plastic welding : Cheesy: They are both in touch now.
@+

Well you just have to set up a marriage agency, Bibiphoque : Lol:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
FB56
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Recovery of rainwater for domestic use

by FB56 » 18/09/06, 09:54

Hello,

I built my house in 2003 with an underground concrete tank of 4m3 to supply my toilets, washing machine and outdoor taps. The concrete tank neutralizes the pH and keeps the water away from light and at constant temperature: colorless and odorless. I am in southern Brittany and I switch to city water (with disconnection by overflow) only one month per year. I was very interested in this subject and in the legislation but at the time it was the artistic blur in the DDASS.

Fortunately, since March 2, 2006, the position of the Minister of Health and Solidarity is finally clear:

the use of rainwater is authorized to supply toilets and water taps for watering the garden and this with a specific supply network.
Drinking water must therefore supply the rest of the house including dishwashers, showers, sinks and more surprisingly the washing machine (in Germany and Belgium, the washing machine has been authorized for more than 10 years ...).
On the other hand, the use of rainwater when it is connected with emergency water on city water meets very strict rules of disconnection so as not to pollute city water bacteriologically. A simple manual bypass is therefore prohibited. There are also pumps that meet the specifications of the DDASS (disconnection by integrated overflow, standard EN1717), for example the Hya-rain pump from ksb installed at my place (see ksb.fr)

It is also advisable to draw up a diagram of the installation (in order to avoid future drilling or bad connections) and to put a sign on the water points concerned (ex: "non potable water"), it is recommended to put tamper-proof systems (eg: taps with square head).

A declaration in town hall must be made for information to the company which treats the waste water (when collective treatment).
Which could eventually lead to a special tax. Which is not currently the case.
We have been talking for a very long time about a tax or the fitting of a meter at the exit of the house without this leading to anything. This would allow farm companies (know, general water ...) to be able to invoice the treatment of rainwater from the WC. In fact, the calculation of the water treatment is made from the volume of water consumed (water meter at the entrance).
Personal note: In a conventional installation without rainwater recovery, it does not bother the farm companies to invoice the treatment of drinking water which is used to water the garden and which therefore does not go to the sewer ...

As for profitability, it is improving for several reasons:
the cost for an installation is around 4000 € (installation, supply and installation of the pump tank and networks).
1 / water costs more and more expensive
2 / a 40% tax credit on the cost of the equipment will be applied from 1/1/2007.

Attached are the official texts:

1 / SANITARY POSITION RELATING TO THE USE OF RAINWATER FOR DOMESTIC USES (extract from the 2/3/6 note from the Ministry of Health):

1- the use of "potable" quality water must be imperative for domestic uses
food (drink, food preparation and dishwashing) and hygiene
body (sink, shower, bath and washing clothes);
2- with regard to the use of rainwater (not potable) for other uses (evacuation of excreta,
washing floors and vehicles, watering green spaces):
b) implying the presence of a double network inside the buildings, considering:
- risks of stinging on non-potable water networks and of interconnection with
drinking water networks,
Given these elements and pending the conclusions of the CSHPF, the use of
so-called “potable” quality must be imperative for these domestic uses in buildings
collective or individual housing.
In the event that the interest of one or more projects is demonstrated, rainwater collected downstream
roofing can only be used subject to the implementation of the provisions
following minimum:
· Separation and distinction of different networks.
Inviolability of non-potable water installations.
· Total disconnection between the rainwater installation and the drinking water network if the auxiliary supply
is provided by the drinking water network.
è Standard EN 1717 recommends, in the case of a fluid presenting a biological risk, a
protection of the drinking water network type AA (total overflow - see standard NF P43-020) or AB
(overflow with overflow - see standard NF P 43-021);
· Inside buildings, the points of use of rainwater other than the supply of toilets must
be placed in technical rooms. They will be strictly differentiated and not usable by a
unauthorized person. (pictogram, specific control key).
· Maintenance of installations: Maintenance is a sensitive point in the prevention of health risks:
it must be checked by an approved third party.
· Information / traceability / surveillance analyzes:
· Creation of a special chapter of the health book for this type of installation,
· Plan,
· Update procedure.

2 / tax credit:
The committee also adopted an amendment to create a 40% tax credit for individuals. The objective: to promote the installation of a rainwater recovery system, with a ceiling of 5.000 euros. This tax credit, the text of which was adopted at first reading in the Senate on April 14, 2005, will relate to work paid between January 1, 2007 and December 31, 2011. "

Hoping to have been as complete as possible.
0 x