Question on a well with old hand pump

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
sebj78
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Question on a well with old hand pump

by sebj78 » 28/02/15, 10:47

Hello everybody

We have been living in a pavilion in the Parisian suburbs for a year and we have a water well in our little garden with a cast iron hand pump. When we arrived, the former owner had left an immersed electric pump (Guinard Hydrosub 3000 - 400W) which never worked because it blew the pellets. We would eventually like to use the water from this well, especially to water the garden.

The dimensions of the well:
Total height (surface - bottom of well): 14,2 meters
Measured water height: 2 meters
Diameter: 90 cm

Here are my questions:
- Is there a chance that the arm pump can re-operate after renovation? Because pumping at 12 meters with a surface pump, I think it's not possible ...
- 2 meters of water depth seems to me small, but if the bottom of my well is in a tablecloth, it could be enough for our use. I fear buying a submerged pump and running out of water quickly. Can someone tell me if these 2 meters of water is enough?

Thank you in advance for your lights.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/02/15, 11:40

It is likely that the average low level of the well was initially higher, since an arm pump was installed.
In the current configuration, a submerged pump (or surface pump lowered to a level compatible with suction) coupled with an automatic shutdown system in the event of water shortage could allow you to use this well without problems.
It is obviously impossible to predict the flow rate of this collection, but generally usage tends to improve it.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by oli 80 » 01/03/15, 11:56

Hello, the pump left by the previous owner may still be working, possibly take it out of the well and see what is not working on it since it blew the pellets, may be a short circuit

if it can be repaired you may not need to buy another new submersible pump

for the arm pump there is a subject here
https://www.econologie.com/forums/montage-d- ... t6556.html

cordially
0 x
sebj78
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by sebj78 » 02/03/15, 23:23

Thank you for your answers.
Repair the old electric pump, I try but the screws are all rusty and for the moment I haven't managed to dismantle it ...
The arm pump will remain as a decorative element because it will not be able to pump beyond 8 meters ...
The idea of ​​using a surface pump to put in the well (on a suspended board or even on floats ??) is also attractive because I have the possibility of having one. I'll think about it...

See you soon
0 x
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 02/03/15, 23:43

A simple solution is to hang the pump at the right height with a rope or cable. Like this it is very easy to lower the pump into the well and reassemble it. This solution will make a few jump, but it works very well for me!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/03/15, 23:35

A pump can never suck more than 10 meters (in theory; 8 meters in practice): this is the limit of atmospheric pressure ...

So the surface pump cannot work. Whether hand pump or electric pump ...

It is therefore necessary to use a submerged pump.

If buying, pay attention to the flow curve: when the level difference (HMT) increases, the flow decreases until it drops to 0.

So choose a pump whose flow rate at 12 meters is still correct.

In general, the flow / height curve (HMT) is indicated on the packaging. Otherwise, ask for the pump curve!

The idea of ​​putting a surface pump in the well, above the water, risks running into this problem: the height to be pumped, whether before or after the pump, remains at a dozen meters, and a surface pump is built to "lift" about 8 meters maximum. Not 12 meters. So check its curve, before "tinkering" for nothing ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 05/03/15, 15:32

Do not worry too much about the old pump: if it blows the pellets, either it is blocked, or it has an insulation fault: little chance of repairing it easily
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be