Rainwater harvesting in a garage

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
charendome
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Rainwater harvesting in a garage

by charendome » 25/12/05, 21:39

Hello everyone.

I come to share an experience with you.
three years ago I built a garage, not attached to my house. it is 6m by 12m.
before building, I first dug two pits,

one of 1.2m X 5m, by 1.5m deep, which I use as a repair pit (as in garages in ancient times (they were still not that stupid, it works even without electricity, and for security, 100% !!)

when in the second, it is 6m X3m by 1.8m high, I use it as a rainwater recovery pit (the whole house (140 m² of roof) as well as the two garages (120 m²))
I use this water for the garden and the washing machine that I move to the garage in the spring and that I come home when the first frosts come.
for the construction, I made a concrete on the ground, reinforced with 20 x20 trellis, then I mounted concrete block walls, leaving room for two posts along the length, which I concreted and reinforced with a chaining from 12 to 15 cm at height, also feraillé, then another chaining in the final with the rest of the height of the posts. and finally, a 12 cm reinforced concrete screed to cover everything.
to waterproof the walls, I did "like the old ones", that is to say a first plaster to roughen, then a second to "bastard" (mixture of cement and lime), that I prepared, floated then smoothed during its catch.
it is possible that my tank "leaks" a little, but this can only be not infiltration through the cement (the first year I measured it often enough to realize, and I did not notice anything) and therefore, considering the use of water, this does not require any additional cost caused by sealants.

moreover, as my tank is totally closed, (I have left two diagonal manholes, which are obstructed by an iron plate), I have no problem of "greening" the water.

I plan to make a conduit to bring the water from this tank back into the house for the toilets and for the washing machine (which I would no longer have to move)

one thing: it also serves as a rain gauge!

happy new year to all.
0 x
yahi
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by yahi » 24/01/06, 21:03

Hello, I also collect a little rainwater (tray under gutter), and I could see that it rains much less. I also have a well but I could not notice any change in the level (I live not very far from the Loire and in Nantes, there is the phenomenon of the tide, the tablecloth is also moving in the same direction. ..), but considering your installation it could be interesting to record and note the rainfall. Even if I usually only get a small potion of the falling water, well this year, I found that I filled the tank with difficulty! and since I empty it quickly, it's often empty since it doesn't rain! The market garden it drinks a lot, and in this season usually, I had no problem of filling.
For you it is visibly easy to take the level and measure all of what falls!
If you could communicate the state of the resource and give for example the rainfall it could be useful for sure!

It's still crazy that Météo France does not give this information!

otherwise congratulations for your installation and its use in sanitary water and washing! It is not so frequent, and it is not necessarily easy to set up even in the new and even test in the old! Luckily there were the vats!

see you soon

yahi
0 x
When will we have the right to stop using oil?
Free object!
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 24/01/06, 21:35

After that there remains the treatment of gray water (water from the shower, the sink, the washing machine) to recycle this water into water for the toilets and for watering, which will avoid using drinking water to water in the absence of rainwater.

gray water treatment - Autarky site

It may be necessary to sacrifice a few m² of land for this ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 24/01/06, 22:40

There are also filter systems planted with reeds that work very well, no offense to the authors of the site "Eautarcie" ... :?

For MétéoFrance news, everything related to precisely localized rainfall is chargeable, but depending on the type of data sought, it may be very reasonable.

If it's for general information, tell me where you live and I will tell you how much it rains at home ... : Wink:
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 25/01/06, 18:04

yahi wrote:[...] For you it is visibly easy to take the level and measure the totality of what falls!
If you could communicate the state of the resource and give for example the rainfall it could be useful for sure!

It's still crazy that Météo France does not give this info! [...]
In the Nantes region, you receive between 600 and 800 mm of annual precipitation. This means that if you collect a not very large roof (10 m2), you can recover to the maximum 8 m3 per year, not counting evaporation losses.

By the way, if you go there: http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/climat/dp ... UID=DEPT44

You can have a summary bulletin of the monthly occurrence time, with a precipitation map, since January 2002. You will thus know what exactly has fallen in your corner in recent years.
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 08/02/06, 01:14

I'm going to get started: I have 2 200-liter plastic recovery drums. As soon as possible, I make a diversion on the roof descent. I have a well with an electric pump, but it is not very ecological to pump with electric energy; with the high barrels I can connect my drips directly and without energy it works alone. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
A2E
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by A2E » 08/02/06, 09:06

jean63 wrote:I'm going to get started: I have 2 200-liter plastic recovery drums. As soon as possible, I make a diversion on the roof descent. I have a well with an electric pump, but it is not very ecological to pump with electric energy; with the high barrels I can connect my drips directly and without energy it works alone. : Mrgreen:

Can we also from this mini water tower mount a small mechanical pumping wind turbine (such as a drilling pump) at the end of the line which would supply the latter permanently relayed why not with a small solar pump in the absence of wind? : Cheesy:
This arrangement could supply watering the vegetable garden under pressure and inexpensively.
Now are there calculations to measure the outlet pressure in relation to the height of the tank and in relation to its volume?
I do not know how to proceed for this calculation does anyone among us know :?:
I have already seen this assembly in a vegetable patch with a galvanized tank of 600L mounted on a metal frame at a height of about 3M but I do not know how it is supplied
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 08/02/06, 10:19

For water, it's quite simple, 1m in height = 0,1 bar. The volume changes absolutely nothing at all.

But that's for a water column, after that you have to count the pressure drops and it's not my domain ... If there are hydraulic engineers in the assembly? : Wink:

The "water tower" in his garden is quite possible, just fill it up ... Your idea with a small wind turbine or photovoltaic solar collectors seems excellent to me.
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

pump on drill

by oli 80 » 22/05/11, 20:59

Good evening, here is what I found about pumps on a drill, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvz3752M60s

as I see on the video this pump seems to provide pressure, of course it is necessary to limit the applications of this pump for water, not as it happened to me once, someone gave me this type of pump with a hose without telling me that he poured fuel oil, the salad and everything else was done
0 x